Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Found my first two issues with my new (to me) Winnie Chieftain 28

If you saw my Welcome Mat post I am new to this life after another lifetime in, on, and around sailboats. I paid $4,000 for a 1989 Chieftain because I wanted to make sure that this was something my wife and I really wanted to do. I can wrench on most things so I figured I can wrench on this.

Except I can't. Not yet anyway. My first problem is probably minor. My headlights don't turn on. Previous owner installed two fairly powerful LED's in the front bumper, so I do have headlights, just not CA legal ones.

Second problem is really where I need the help. I have a two year old awning setup that unfurled flawlessly and really is like new (see picture). The problem is that it would not retract when I went to stow it. Upon examination I found that the pin on the winding mechanism, which is usually held in place with another pin, at the end of the forward arm, had somehow dislodged. I took apart the entire mechanism and put it back together correctly. Now it will roll up, but all the videos I see show it under tension and rolling up on it's own.

Was I supposed to maybe turn the barrel a couple of times to introduce tension? This is all new to me, and any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChat Image_20190511205002.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	171588  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Eric
Most of the time, yes, you have to install, some "preload" to the springs. In the old days, as in say, about 20+ years ago when I did one of my awnings, I pre-wound the spring about 7 full turns, if I recall. That way, when it winds back in as the awning is retracted, even though the spring is unwinding, at the end, when the awning it totally up against the coach, it will still have some tension on it.

As you extend an awning like yours, from the fully retracted position, you're also WINDING the spring(s). So, when the awning is fully extended, it's gonna have quite a bit of tension on it and or, the springs. If you don't put any pretension on the springs, as you approach the end of the roll-up, you might and most likely won't, have enough tension to finish rolling the fabric as the arms approach totally vertical, next to the coach. Hope this is somewhat clear and helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That's kind of what I figured. Can you explain the process of tensioning the barrel? Or, since it is now fully retracted again will it have tension if I unfurl it again? I am alone in the rig this weekend and I had a heck of a time getting retracted by myself.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Eric, You can skip to about 4:00 in this video, but it seems one of the clearest demonstrations of the many on Youtube. (you may need to carry a ladder with you 'till it is sorted)

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote