Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2006, 04:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

We have an appointment with Winnebago factory service on 30 Aug. We have some hail damage to the slide toppers (the Grand Ol Opry was fun but the hail storm wasn't) and they are going to replace them.

We are also having the slides modified so we can put Pergo down.

We will probably be there a couple of days early. Will anyone else be there then?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have an appointment with Winnebago factory service on 30 Aug. We have some hail damage to the slide toppers (the Grand Ol Opry was fun but the hail storm wasn't) and they are going to replace them.

We are also having the slides modified so we can put Pergo down.

We will probably be there a couple of days early. Will anyone else be there then?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so we can put Pergo down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...so you can do WHAT??
Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Paul......Pergo is a wood laminate flooring.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Clay:

I'll be interested in what they do to accomodate Pergo....suspect they will add carpet to the bottom of the skids on the slide.

Please post pics of the Pergo install after you get it done. I want to do same but have a concern about the slides moving over the laminate (or plank vinyl even).
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

smlranger said:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'll be interested in what they do to accomodate Pergo....suspect they will add carpet to the bottom of the skids on the slide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what they said they do. They said they will replace the existing bars with new ones that have carpet on the bottom side.
I think they also make an adjustment so the bar will clear the transition piece between the Pergo and the old carpet under the slide. The piece is 1/2 inch high.
I do plan to take pictures and will post them. I won't be doing the installation until we get to CO where my sister-in-law has a shop available with table saw and chop saw, it will be a month or two before I get to it.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi. Did you ever get photos posted showing the installation of the pergo...wood flooring? We have a 2004 Journey and am worried about tackling the replacement due to the slide bar issue. Quoted $3,000+ to do so by a dealer.
thanks,
kathi
[email protected]
KathiE-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

No I haven't got it done yet.

When I went to the factory, they made up the new shoes with carpet on them. The cost for them was going to be about $150. The shoes were 1 X 6 s about 3 feet long with an angle cut on one side and covered with the material that is used to cover the floors of the service bay glued on. There were six of them as I recall.

Then when they were supposed to install them they came out and said they were afraid that the material would create too much friction running on the exsisting carpet and the slides would not function properly. I did not want to remove the cartpet until I got to my sister in law's place where I intended to install the Pergo, so I did not have them install the shoes and decided to rethink the whole thing.

I think I am going to install the Pergo this fall when we get back to my sister in law's place and leave the existing shoes in place. I plan to place some pieces of Pergo on the floor when we bring the slides in so the slides will run over it and not scratch the floor when they come in. That's what a friend does with his fiver to protect the laminate flooring he installed.

I will not use the transition pieces where the slides come in since I believe they might be too high for the slide shoes to get over them easily. I plan to put 1/4 inch slots along the edge of the Pergo where the slide come in over it and use flush screws to hold the Pergo down but still allow it to float. The slots will have a taper on the edges and I will use screws with tapered heads. The screws will be set to hold the flooring down and in place but still allow it to expand with humidity changes in one direction.
That's the plan at this point.
Alternatively I could remove the carpet, seal the floor with polyurethane and then go to the factory and have the shoes installed, then go to the sister in laws and install the Pergo.

(The reason for going to my sister in laws place to do the work is that I have access to a shop with a chop saw and a table saw plus a place for us to sleep while the work is being done.)