Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #1
spurguy

Ford F53 suspension

I purchased a used 2015 Winnebago Vista 27N about 2 months ago. It has front and rear track bars, apparently factory, a rear 1.5 inch diameter anti-sway bar also apparently factory, and a rear auxiliary 1.75 inch diameter that I think is aftermarket. The rear track bar is adjustable on the passenger end. Will this adjustment fine tune the performance of the track bar?
spurguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Front track bars were standard from Ford. But there were no OEM rear track bars. If your RV has one it is aftermarket installed by a previous owner.

Same goes for the additional rear roll bar. Only one (the one in front of the differential) is OEM.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurguy View Post
I purchased a used 2015 Winnebago Vista 27N about 2 months ago. It has front and rear track bars, apparently factory, a rear 1.5 inch diameter anti-sway bar also apparently factory, and a rear auxiliary 1.75 inch diameter that I think is aftermarket. The rear track bar is adjustable on the passenger end. Will this adjustment fine tune the performance of the track bar?
Like said, the rear trackbar is aftermarket. The adjustment is there for original installation only. The mounts are installed and the adjustment is used to align the tracbar ends for the fasteners. The tracbar is meant to remove lateral play in the suspension between the axle and chassis frame. Stops a lot of "tail wag" in the motorhome, from passing semis and box trucks.
Front swaybar could be aftermarket as well, they are bigger diameter than OEM.
Do you have handling issues? Has the CHF been done?
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
spurguy

Ford F53 suspension

Thanks for the quick responses. The rear track bar looks different from those that I have seen - it attaches to the rear axle under the passenger side leaf springs and to the frame on the driver's side. Those that I've seen attach to the pumpkin and the frame. That's why I thought it might be OEM. Same theory, though. Handling was bad the day I brought it home, but it was really windy and had very little weight in it. Since then I put on a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer which helped a lot, and reduced air pressure to mfg 82 psi., which helped considerably. Also replaced the original Goodyear G670s with Toyo M154s. Haven't driven it since bringing it home from tire install so not sure yet if they are an improvement over the Goodyears. The Goodyears had 95 psi, when I dropped them to 82 there was a noticeable improvement. Tire dealer put 105 psi in the Toyos, so I may play with air pressure to see what works best. Going to the Keys in 2 weeks so I'll have a better idea then. Have not done the CHF yet. I've tried to keep the heaviest items forward of the rear axle when loading it, but haven't had it weighed yet. All in all, the handling isn't too bad. Just thought it should be better when I realized that I had 2 track bars and 3 sway bars. Thanks again for the help!
spurguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had my unit inspected last year and discovered that one rear sway bar bushing had failed.

They replaced it quickly and reduced the sway and loud clank as it loaded/unloaded.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:12 AM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses. The rear track bar looks different from those that I have seen - it attaches to the rear axle under the passenger side leaf springs and to the frame on the driver's side. Those that I've seen attach to the pumpkin and the frame. That's why I thought it might be OEM. Same theory, though. Handling was bad the day I brought it home, but it was really windy and had very little weight in it. Since then I put on a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer which helped a lot, and reduced air pressure to mfg 82 psi., which helped considerably. Also replaced the original Goodyear G670s with Toyo M154s. Haven't driven it since bringing it home from tire install so not sure yet if they are an improvement over the Goodyears. The Goodyears had 95 psi, when I dropped them to 82 there was a noticeable improvement. Tire dealer put 105 psi in the Toyos, so I may play with air pressure to see what works best. Going to the Keys in 2 weeks so I'll have a better idea then. Have not done the CHF yet. I've tried to keep the heaviest items forward of the rear axle when loading it, but haven't had it weighed yet. All in all, the handling isn't too bad. Just thought it should be better when I realized that I had 2 track bars and 3 sway bars. Thanks again for the help!
Playing with your tire pressure, in order to get a better ride, is a fool’s game.

You should do some research on this forum, because you’ll quickly learn, that inflating your tires based upon trying to obtain the ideal comfortable ride, may be putting you and your family at risk.

1) Weigh your coach as you would normally drive it
2) use those weight numbers to obtain the REQUIRED tire pressure
3) refer to your coach’s placards, for optimal tire pressure, given your weight
Old 12-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thats all good advice, but I think the coach tire pressures are a good average figure. With tpm as a monitor the pressures vary greatly depending on where and what temperatures are encountered during the trip..I set my tires at 82 psi and during the heat of the day the psi increases dramatically..way over 100psi.even..and that is exceeding the tires recommended max pressure..and then if driving thru snow or ice they remain close to the preset.. I have to wonder just how you can rely on a certain tp for better handling.. its all a compromise and adding the additional rear sway bar and trac bar is about as good as it gets on the f53 chassis... imho...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Track Bars

Quote:

I installed Helwig Front and Rear Track Bars. Handling very noticeable.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses. The rear track bar looks different from those that I have seen - it attaches to the rear axle under the passenger side leaf springs and to the frame on the driver's side.
It sounds like it could be a fabricated unit, or maybe an Ultra-Trac UTF53VR that was mounted "backwards".

DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2018 Vista 27N and it did indeed come with Ford factory front and rear sway bars as well as a rear tracbar. Ours handles the best of any RV we have owned. Tires set to 82psi as directed by the factory.
murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy55378 View Post
We have a 2018 Vista 27N and it did indeed come with Ford factory front and rear sway bars as well as a rear tracbar. Ours handles the best of any RV we have owned. Tires set to 82psi as directed by the factory.
Curious, Now that you’ve loaded it up, what’s your front and rear axle weights, if you’ve had a chance to weight it yet?
Old 01-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #12
JBP
Winnie-Wise

We have a 2018 Vista 30T and I agree with Murphy55387. Our is the best ride and the quitest of any Class A gas that we have had.
We have been running 82 psi all the way around. I have little short of 10,000 now. We do run light most of the time. Have not run it over scale recently.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I own a auto facility and use to own a MH with a F53 chassis and it drove me crazy how it wondered. I did the Belstein shock which was a big improvement and getting a professional alignment and running a slight toe in cured alot. Next would be front and rear sway bars if not equiped.

We use a fair amount of Roadmaster see what they have to offer
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, ford, suspension