Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 07:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

FMCA vs CoachNet

We have been using Good Sam for our Roadside Assistance for many years, but our plan is coming to an end and I thought I might change to either FMCA or CoachNet. We have never had a real issue with Good Sam but I suspect that an RV centered plan might be better than what we have now if we have any serious issues where I might need advice on how to fix a problem rather than just a tow to the nearest qualified repair center. Our Good Sam policy is the extended one that covers RVs, but I don't know that RVs are at the center of their interest when it comes to Roadside Assistance and the ability to diagnose and suggest fixes for failures like slides and awnings.

My problem is that I am not familiar with either FMCA or CoachNet so I don't know of any real difference between them (other than a $100 price difference). Both have positive comments from those on this and other forums so I have no basis for making a decision between the two, and I thought that folks on this forum might have some insight about any differences between the two.

When I looked online for a list of what they provide the FMCA add seemed to show that CoachNet offered everything that FMCA had, but I did not see if CoachNet, for the extra money, offered anything FMCA did not. If anyone has any comparison information about the two I would appreciate hearing about it.

I did do a search for this before posting, but never saw any posts related to comparing these two plans.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
Site Team

My Adventurer came with one year of Coachnet for free and a $99 renewal fee there after. So we have stuck with Coachnet.

But... we’ve never used it once so I have no idea if it’s any good or better than anything else.

We are FMCA members and generally like some of their services - we get our RV insurance through them - so I would trust their RSA plan. I just don’t see a difference.

I try to have as little use for Good Sam/ Camping World as possible.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've had Coachnet for almost 10 years and used it several times and I found them responsive to my needs. Also I was at the FMCA International Rally in Minot, ND a few years ago and attended the FMCA Roadside Assistance seminar and the plan was impressive for the cost. My only concern like anything branded by a club they may change it to a different vendor to get a better price. Somethings it work and sometimes it doesn't. What I liked about Coachnet is that my car is covered when are driving it. I used to have AAA for the car before Coachnet and considering the savings having only Coachnet, it was well worth it.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
I've had Coachnet for almost 10 years and used it several times and I found them responsive to my needs. Also I was at the FMCA International Rally in Minot, ND a few years ago and attended the FMCA Roadside Assistance seminar and the plan was impressive for the cost. My only concern like anything branded by a club they may change it to a different vendor to get a better price. Somethings it work and sometimes it doesn't. What I liked about Coachnet is that my car is covered when are driving it. I used to have AAA for the car before Coachnet and considering the savings having only Coachnet, it was well worth it.
Thank you for the information.

My GS plan covers both my RV and my car, but I have some concerns about how useful GS would be if I need advice on how to fix something. Was CoachNet good about that?
Old 02-22-2021, 03:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I could be way off on this! I do not believe that any of the roadside assistant plans you are asking about are there to give fixing advice. The three companies you are asking about are there mainly to get you off the side of the road and to a repair shop.

If I understand your question you are wanting to be able to call them up and ask how do you fix something. I do not think any of them do that.

Good Luck safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I could be way off on this! I do not believe that any of the roadside assistant plans you are asking about are there to give fixing advice. The three companies you are asking about are there mainly to get you off the side of the road and to a repair shop.

If I understand your question you are wanting to be able to call them up and ask how do you fix something. I do not think any of them do that.

Good Luck safe travels
For the GS basic Roadside Assistance program you are correct, but I have the Premium or Platinum or whatever name they gave the upgrade program and one of its features is that it does include repair assistance. I just don't know how useful they would be compared to FMCA or CoachNet. And as far as I know both of those include repair assistance, or offer it as an option.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We had GS roadside assistance and never had a need to use it. However, after reading many horror stories about folks being stranded for hours waiting for them, or having them show up with the wrong equipment and other issues, we switched to Coachnet and have never looked back !
We had a tire blow out on our tow dolly last year and called Coachnet for help. First thing wanted to know was if we were safe. We were on the side of a two lane interstate so they dispatched a local sheriff deputy to us to stay behind us with lights flashing so vehicles and truck traffic would move over to the passing lane. They were able to pinpoint our location by using corrdinates from our cell phone location. Since I did not have a spare tire for the dolly, they located a new tire and when the service tech showed up he broke down the wheel and tire, mounted the new tire on the wheel and we were back on the road in less than two hours.
For my money, Coachnet works for me.
CGKMGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

It turns out that Coach-Net has a special relationship with Winnebago* and offers their $249 policy to Winnebago owners for $179, which is the same price as my GS Roadside Assistance policy, so I joined the other day.

* For all I know they may also have a "special relationship" with Thor, Tiffin, Coachmen and other manufacturers and I may have fallen for a marketing trick. But it does not really matter because I was going to join either Coach-Net or FMCA in any case rather than renewing my GS plan.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Have CoachNet and they have been great

We have Coachnet roadside service. In fact we had to utilize the service this weekend.

When experiencing a slowly deflating tire this weekend while on the road, we called on Saturday night from the RV location we were staying to request service. After the initial call, Coachnet sourced a new tire and called to say that they had located a tire service, with a matching Michelin tire, but that it would take 2 hours for the service to get to us. They asked if we were ok with two hours or did we want a different manufactured tire. The repair man arrived after 1 1/2 hours. Coachnet called after the 2 hour commitment to confirm that the service was onsite and we were being taken care of. They then called later to follow up and confirm that the repairs had be made to our satisfaction.

On both occasions that we have had to call for roadside service, Coachnet was responsive and accountable.

While we cant speak about the other options, we can say that Coachnet has been terrific
CWfrmTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Coachnet

We have had Coachnet for many years after we initially had a Good Sam program. The first time we needed them, it took hours for someone to arrive and all we needed was to change a tire (we had a spare). The guy had never changed a tire on a MH. The spare needed air and he had no way to inflate. Another camper offered his compressor. That ended our Good Sam plan. We have had good service with the Coachnet plan. The even sent a rollback truck to pick up my wife's motorcycle when she had a flat tire in the "boonies". They delivered it to the closest BMW dealer. We were impressed. I don't have any experience with FMCA plan, but as other said, their programs have usually been good.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
It turns out that Coach-Net has a special relationship with Winnebago* and offers their $249 policy to Winnebago owners for $179, which is the same price as my GS Roadside Assistance policy, so I joined the other day.

* For all I know they may also have a "special relationship" with Thor, Tiffin, Coachmen and other manufacturers and I may have fallen for a marketing trick. But it does not really matter because I was going to join either Coach-Net or FMCA in any case rather than renewing my GS plan.
I am interested in joining Coach-Net. How did you get the discount for Winnie Owners?
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 11:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post

I found out because there was some paperwork mentioning it in the documents I received when we bought the RV, but you can find out just by calling Coach-Net and asking. When I called them I was told that, yes, they had my name and RV listed and I could have the discount. They also told me that the discount was given every year, so it was not just some introductory offer.