Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My 33V Voyage did not come with the flip up table next to the lounge chair so I would like to add on of those fllip up counter top extensions. I am wondering if the wall at that location will be strong enough to hold it. Any thoughts?
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My 33V Voyage did not come with the flip up table next to the lounge chair so I would like to add on of those fllip up counter top extensions. I am wondering if the wall at that location will be strong enough to hold it. Any thoughts?
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Craig:

The previous owner of my rig made some mods to the flip up shelf that I did not like, so I built an identical unit out of solid oak to replace it. The top of the entire unit was factory mounted by a long piece of painted steel angle (you could use aluminum) with about 8 screws which were screwed into the wall panel...there was no backing. The bottom two screws were screwed into a wall stud.

I mounted my rebuilt unit the same way and it is firmly attached to the wall and bears weight very well. I have found that you can use the short threaded wall anchors (those that you must acutally screw into the wall board) to mount things in the coach. If you can locate the wall studs, that would be great. If not, the screw-in anchors should hold it fine.

This pic doesn't show the entire shelf, but enough to see how it looks made of oak and oak veneer plywood:
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks SMI Ranger, that's a big help and makes me feel better about putting holes in my new baby.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have a 33V and it came with the flip up table next to the lounge chair. I would think you should be able to mount one on yours with little difficulty. Check with a Winnebago or Itasca dealer in your area, they may be able to get a factory unit for you and can probably give you some good advice as to how to mount it. We were just at the factory in Forrest City last week and I did see some cabinets and tables for sale in their surplus store, but I didn't look close enough at them to remember if they had what you are talking about. But it may be worth while to call and ask, they may be able to ship it to you if they have it.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone have the telephone number for the Winnebago Surplus Store at Forest City?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have the 32-V with the little (very handy), table by the lounge chair. I had an occasion to take it out to repair a roller that runs in a groove. I was a bit surprised how well they are anchored to the wall. I do not know what they have behind the wall panel to anchor it to, but it is solid.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
I have the 32-V with the little (very handy), table by the lounge chair. I had an occasion to take it out to repair a roller that runs in a groove. I was a bit surprised how well they are anchored to the wall. I do not know what they have behind the wall panel to anchor it to, but it is solid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a general rule Winnebago puts a steel plate in the wall (and maybe ceilings - our tour didn't show that part that I recall) where they mount cabinets and tables. There is also an aluminum stud running along the top and bottom of the exterior walls that can be used for a solid backing.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I think this is the phone number for the Winnebago Industries Surplus store

===&gt; (641) 585-6935
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Craig,

When we did the factory tour, one of the items they stressed was that Winnebago places steel in the wall where things are mounted - cabinets, shelves, etc. If the spot you want to put this is a standard location, there should be a steel plate there. I suggest contacting customer service via e-mail. They can e-mail you drawings of the steel support locations for your particular model.

I did this prior to installing a ceiling fan in our bedroom. Found the existing wiring and steel plate via the drawings Winnebago provided.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Great thread, a couple of months ago I bought a flip up table from Camping World but chickened out and returned it. It was very heavy and I was afraid the wt. would pull it out of the wall, especially if I put a computer on it.

Homer, was yours an OEM or aftermarket. If it was OEM the plate may still be behind the wall.

THutch, how do you like your ceiling fan? Don't mean to hijack the thread, you can PM me.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

FAKRWEE: My flip up table is OEM. I am sure there is a plate of some kind behind the wall as it snugged up on re-install very tight. Incidentally I was impressed with the tight tolerances and fit of everything on the flip up table. Very well made. When you re-assemble the parts of the table every thing must be square or it will not fit.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

FAKRWEE: PM Sent
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote