Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2021, 07:36 PM   #1
2005 Sightseer 30B

Flat or Dinghy towing a vehicle

When we bought the Sightseer, it came with a Blue Ox/Brake Buddy. I have ZERO idea of how to use one, what is needed, do I have all the necessary parts, etc. Can anyone suggest WHO I should talk to that won't cost me a fortune? After our last trip and the Charlie Foxtrot with Enterprise, we are going to get a tow car. But, I am CLUELESS. Help???
Old 09-19-2021, 08:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

A good place to look is at the "Dinghy Towing Guide". If this link doesn't work, just do an internet search for it. It goes over just about everything you need. The total set of equipment can be expensive plus the labor to install it on your tow vehicle. If you are handy, you might be able to install it yourself. We wouldn't be without our tow vehicle.

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
2005 Sightseer 30B

Thank you!!
Old 09-20-2021, 02:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The towing guide as provided will give you a great source for what cars can be towed 4 down. With that said however the finial yes or no should be with the mfg. owners manual. See the yes or no in writing not a salesmans yes.

Once you have a vehicle you will need a couple things done to it. You will need a base plate bolted or welded to the fame that matches the blue ox tow bar. You will need to tap into the cars wiring to use the cars rear lights as stop, turn etc.

I can not help for the brake buddy set up, I am sure someone will help with that. I would suggest going to rv dealing and ask them for help on the brake buddy and a base plate.

Good Luck safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I recommend Demco's "Stay and play" permanently installed braking system. (You won't have to remove it everytime you stop and reposition it every time you start). Demco has a link to authorized dealers on their website.

We had a portable brake system for years and it was a PITA to deal with.

Installation best left to an experienced tech, but well worth the cost in my opinion.

(Wouldn't be caught without a "toad".)
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:06 AM   #6
2005 Sightseer 30B

After checking the prices of the base plate, and how many vehicles can NOT be dinghy towed ("Can be towed with automatic transmission? NO") I think I'll sell the Brake Buddy and buy a car hauling trailer. I was hoping to find a Mini or Smart car within our budget that would fit up on our existing utility trailer, but no luck. I KNOW how to do that, and it will reduce the vehicle tire wear, as well. The previous owner of our coach towed an Equinox behind, although I think she was lying about the fuel efficiency she was getting. I never realized how COMPLEX dinghy towing IS!! My hat (if I had one) is off to you folks!!

Know anyone that needs a Blue Ox/Brake Buddy system??
Old 09-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Much depends on how you will be using the RV.
For our use a trailer would limit the spots where we want to camp way too much as a second trailer is just not going to work for many places and the moving the trailer to spots for excess parking and then coming back to set up the RV and then doing it all over again when we want to leave is just way too much for us as we often only stay for one night at any campsite. We only went full time for a short period as it soon became more work than we wanted to do all the time.

Setting up a tow car is lots of decision making but then it comes down to what you want to do. To save money one has to do the research but if one want quick and easy, we can simply pay more and let the pro make the decisions.

On that point, I do not recommend going to the RV places as they are more prone to being higher priced than places which do the simple working man's job of installing hithces but they know about RV towing as well.

Before deciding which fits better how about the idea of getting a few quotes on providing the extra parts needed and installing them as it is likely to be cheaper and less hassle when used than the trailer.

On our third Blue OX baseplate and wiring install we went to a truck accessories shop and got much better service and pricing.
But we would never consider going with a trailer to store and deal with at every campsite.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Another option is maybe you can find a used tow vehicle to buy that is already setup. I'm not sure how hard that is these days.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Another option is maybe you can find a used tow vehicle to buy that is already setup. I'm not sure how hard that is these days.
We've set up three times and it has always been a nice idea we had but finding the right car deal and in the area we were looking never seemed to work out. In this case, we just sold the tow car and would loved to have swapped it to an Rv person but never got it done so sold it as part of a trade ---where it was considered a defect!

Timing is a big issue and we have just come back from driving to California going through Las Vegas and now trying to figure how to best ship a tow bar and brake setup to just South of Vegas!

Seems never in the right place at the right time???
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

LadyFaire,
here are many automobiles that can be towed 4 down behind a motorhome, including the ForTwo Smart Car. My personal preference would not be a smart car as there is not much room if you have to do a lot of grocery shopping.

Check out the Motorhome.com web site Towing Guide,

As others have stated, finding sites that can accommodate long MH's with a trailer can sometimes be a problem.

My tow vehicle is a 2013 Lincoln MKX with BlueOx base plate and towbar. Yes, the initial outlay of $$ is steep but I've been using that system for 8 years so the payback has been good. I purchased the AF1 braking system back in 2008 and transferred it fro one vehcle to the other. Payback on that has bee very good.

Lots of luck and Welcome.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Before investing in a car trailer, investigate dolly towing. With a tow dolly, you can tow any front wheel drive vehicle and most manual transmission rear wheel drive cars, with NO SET-UP. There is no need to go thru expensive modifications, every time that you buy a new car. They come with either electric or surge/enertia brakes and require no brake/turning light connections to the towed vehicle. Cost is in the range of $1,500 new and is a one time expense. I've dolly towed from Florida to California and Michigan and back, with no issues.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Richard! Say it ain’t so!!!
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:19 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Who the heck is Richard? Nobody named Richard has replied to this thread.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #14
2005 Sightseer 30B

We picked up a flatbed, car hauler that will handle more than the coach! We didn't want to have to buy yet another vehicle, since neither of the ones we have can be dinghy towed or even just with a dolly. One is all wheel drive and the other is 4 wheel drive. I am NOT interested in learning how to drop a drive shaft, thank you [grin]. With the flatbed, we can haul hubby's compact SUV so only have the $1200 we paid for the trailer. Since it is a flatbed, I can sell my utility trailer, so the yard/driveway isn't going to be overly crowded with vehicles. Anyone interested in a Blue Ox/Brake Buddy?? I don't even know if it is complete or what it is worth.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:23 PM   #15
2005 Sightseer 30B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post

Morich
Old 09-26-2021, 05:44 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
Pay attention to the full reply threads Charlie. Richard (Morich) is an ICON and VERY well respected on this site.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:04 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I flat tow a Chevy Sonic with auto trans. Fairly small but room for 4 plus some cargo. Depending on the age it won't break the bank! Terry
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Flat tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaire View Post
When we bought the Sightseer, it came with a Blue Ox/Brake Buddy. I have ZERO idea of how to use one, what is needed, do I have all the necessary parts, etc. Can anyone suggest WHO I should talk to that won't cost me a fortune? After our last trip and the Charlie Foxtrot with Enterprise, we are going to get a tow car. But, I am CLUELESS. Help???
I guess when you day Blue Ox you mean tow bar and brakebudy your sux. brake. Jeep Wrangler is a good yode in my opinion and you would need baseplates for the tode
I have toed Trackers Equanox and Wranglers. Probably prefer the Wrangle
. I will not to see if without a auxiliary break system
.. I have bin doing this since 1999.
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Fords will flat tow.
Wayneelowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:03 PM   #20
2005 Sightseer 30B

Terry, I simply cannot afford to buy another car. The base plate for the vehicle would set me back around $600, plus the car and the additional insurance. With the incident we had a couple of weeks ago (https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ip-362363.html), I just don't have the funds. We're looking at around $5K to rebuild the front end of the coach and that about taps us out. The imperative to have a towed vehicle is partly due to that - our son had to come get us from Fredericksburg because we didn't have anything other than the coach and it was dead in the water. Thankfully, our youngest son was close enough for that to be possible. If we had been in a state without a son (I didn't have any girls), we would have been in sad shape. Since the Blue Ox/Brake Buddy came with the coach, we decided we would look into getting whatever it took to use the device, but soon found out what all would be involved. I DO appreciate the insights, tips, hints and advice here in the forum - and how much it helped with this decision. You folk are SO helpful, and we are truly thankful for how friendly and the different options you have presented - not like the camper forum I used to belong to!!

Tags
tow, towing