Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2005, 03:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Anyone know if FL is into their new service center? Also, have those of you who've used their facility found them to be less costly for service than local FL or CAT/Cummins dealers?

I need a valve adjustment and am trying to decide if it's worth the fuel cost to travel to Gaffney compared to getting it done at the local CAT service center...they've estimated $350-$400.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Anyone know if FL is into their new service center? Also, have those of you who've used their facility found them to be less costly for service than local FL or CAT/Cummins dealers?

I need a valve adjustment and am trying to decide if it's worth the fuel cost to travel to Gaffney compared to getting it done at the local CAT service center...they've estimated $350-$400.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I called gaffney and asked if they would adjust the valves and they said take it to cat.
FrankT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I agree with FrankT. Gaffney does a great job on FL, but a Cat Service center might do a better job on engine maintenance.

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:11 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We were very pleased with the cost of the first annual maintenance done at Gaffney last year. WE converted to TranSynd (down the drain now) and it was way below the prices we got elsewhere (less than $125 above cost of changing with Dexron).

We did not have the valve lashing done as they suggested we wait a couple of years (can be done up to about 40-44,000 miles and 4 years). Others have reported the cost of the valve lashing at Gaffney at anywhere from $120 to $200 - very reasonable.

Frank, it may be that they are very busy and really don't want you in for just a valve lashing. If you are going to have an annual service done as well I suspect they will not try to discourage you.

The new service centre is supposed to open sometime very soon. Their web site still shows the old location.

If I still had my FTL chassis I would have also planned to attend the 2 day Camp FTL for $100. You learn a lot about your MH Chassis and service requirements.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:26 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Don are you still using Transynd?

Found this on Allison site...

Fluid and filter change intervals

Transynd Site
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My CAT repair center showed me in the maintance section of their book that the first valve lash adjustment should be done at the first oil change of approx 10,000 miles

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:36 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

HR came with TranSynd as do all Winnies where chassis shipped after Jan 2/04 (mine had been shipped to Winnie in Nov 03). If you do a search I had a lot of contact with Winnie, Freightliner and Allison and the result was a change to the warranty for MHs with Allison transmissions built on or before Dec 31/03 (back to the orginal 5 years even with Dexron).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Don are you still using Transynd?

Found this on Allison site...

Fluid and filter change intervals

Transynd Site </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-11-2005, 07:38 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Question(s) for you guys....

Since Allison seems to "recommend" TranSynd,why not make it original equipment...
(I actually understand it costs more,just wondering aloud...)

What would you guys (and gals..) think of changing to TranSynd "right off the bat" in my new coach?
Old 12-11-2005, 07:40 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

I guess Don actually answered my question....seems we were posting at the same time.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:48 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kenbt:
My CAT repair center showed me in the maintance section of their book that the first valve lash adjustment should be done at the first oil change of approx 10,000 miles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly, you CAT repair centre doesn't know its armpit from its elbow when it comes to MH specs by CAT. That issue has been beaten to death. Have a look at the one page (2 side) MH supplement issued by CAT on this topic. Unless CAT has changed its policy since Sept 1 when I dropped off the CAT Yahoo owners group, the policy is still in effect. I posted it to a photo site last year - see link below.

Last January I was at the Tampa RV show and visited the CAT booth. Told them we were going to Gaffney and would have the valve lashing done. They had a cut-away of the C7 and showed me what is done - then said I was planning to have it done much too early. CAT then mailed me the policy statement. Frankly, I don't find much to chose between the C7 I had and the ISC 330/950 I have now. Torque now is more but that is offset by the added weight I think. Both good engines but it looks like CAT is going to make a good attempt to keep RV owners informed and happy. Now if they could only do the same thing for their dealers.

CAT page 1

CAT page 2 - see arrow for initial valve lashing requirement

The reason for the different service intervals for MHs vs trucks is the stress and stain put on them. Note that they say an oil change should be done every 11,000 miles or every year - not every 6 months as shown in the engine manual.

I'd recommend that you join the CAT Yahoo owners group and keep abreast of changes in the CAT policies.

I gather there was some right hand/left hand issues even at CAT with respect to these policies. If you called the Help Desk for some period of time even they did not seem to be aware of this change - in fact some within CAT disputed it. My feeling was that it was in writing, issued by CAT so I'd follow it (and it made more sense for MHs).
Old 12-11-2005, 07:55 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
I guess Don actually answered my question....seems we were posting at the same time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reb, you should find a label (usually BLUE) near the transmission dipstick making it very clear that the 3000MH is filled with TranSynd. When we switched FTL puta label like that on our Journey.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I did at the 9,000 mile mark.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:38 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
Reb, you should find a label (usually BLUE) near the transmission dipstick making it very clear that the 3000MH is filled with TranSynd. When we switched FTL puta label like that on our Journey. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Don.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I made our appointment for April 3, she said the new facility wasn't open and don't know if she meant service garage or the new campground.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Mr. Ranger,
Isn't there a Cat service center in Salem VA. that might could help you. We used them with one of our fire trucks, when I was with the volunteer company. Might be worth a check. There is also a Cat place south of Lynchburg, and I believe Powells also south of Lynchburg are Cat service centers. Truck Enterprises on 581 in Roanoke may also be able to preform this work.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:21 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Dawg:

I have decided to use the CAT Truck center in Salem. I visited them once to check out the place and it is the cleanest, most professional-looking big truck shop I've ever seen.

thanks.