Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2020, 04:05 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie View Post
Attachment 174815

Attachment 174816

Attachment 174817

The last owner is a mechanic. Lol with 3 locations. I see a plug in on one of these photos and all I found was the plug in a storage bay.
In the top photo, I believe I see your shore power cord coming out of the junction box next to the power plug which I think is where you plug the shore power cord into to connect to the generator.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Lots of small points to look at in the pictures. I agree that the first has the shore power cord coming out of the first box and assuming there is more and long enough to reach a pedestal, that might be okay to drag out and plug in and then when moving again, coil the cord in this compartment and plug it into the big outlet in back as that is where the power from the generator feeds. This is same as my 2015 has and works very well as a simple "switch" from shore power to gen. That fits with the second drawing picture I posted except the boxes are reversed.
Assume you get an RV to go with the pictures?
That tank above is the grey water holding tank and the small wires are for the levels sensors. Small valve grey water and large valve black water to drain. Looks like an outside shower hose at right and next to it is the switch for turning the RV water pump on out there to avoid having to run inside to wash off feet, etc.
Bit of rust but nothing that requires immediate attention and not bad for age. Do look at the yellow item as a keeper if not broken as it looks like an adapter to put on the end of a 30 amp plug like you might have and then you can plug into a 15-20 amp plug to run a few lights or frig but not enough to run the air cond.
We use one to get the frig cooling the night before a trip and it also lets us keep batteries charged and have lights to load.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Sherrie I got a 96 34RQ and on mine the power cord is the life line for the MH, think of it this way, everything must go thru that cord, so when on gen, it is plugged into the gen outlet (one of the silver boxes), the gen puts power to the outlet (3 prong if 30 amp, 4 prong if 50amp), the cord is plugged into that gen outlet (and stays there until hooking up to shore power), and electricity goes into the MH.
When at shore power, say a campground with hook ups, you pull that plug out of the gen outlet and plug it in to the power pole at your camp site. (So you need a longer cord than you might think). Also if hooking up to your house extension cord, say to pre chill fridge, you would pull the plug from the gen outlet and using an adapter (15amp male to 30 or 50 amp female) plug in the extension cord to your MH power cord....

Just some general info on the power cord of the MH.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xc1.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	174828  
Old 09-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Sherrie, In the top picture, there are 2 square electrical boxes. The one on the right is where you plug the plug in for generator power, the one on the left with the cord hanging out is the cord that needs a 30A 125VAC plug on it for shore power.
jimkamery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Just be mindful that the book value on that coach is about $12,000 from a dealer with some sort of warranty while an as is sale with no support from a private seller would be $7,000 to $8,000 if it was not a fixer upper. A fixer upper would be worth a bit less.

On those mid 90's coaches you have to be watchful of the coach's "house frames" as being mild steel they were highly prone to rot especially if driven in the North during the winter. From the rear basement compartments one should inspect the rear cross member that goes over the top of the frame rails near the drive wheels and supports the house as its prone to cracking where it passes over the truck chassis, One sign that this is failing is a slight hump/bubble in the floor over the rear axle as you walk past the bathroom area.

Its obvious that the seller lied to you about everything working just on the point of the generator so one would have to ask what else did he lie about? Did you call him about the missing keys and the generator being in pieces and not working as he claimed?

Here is the link to the Operators Manual. That should have been in a binder or black bag inside the coach and included all the manuals for the appliances, etc built into the coach.

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...Adventurer.pdf

Note that you may have to download and read the manual using the Adobe Acrobat reader.

Here is the Brochure for the coach:
file:///C:/Users/NeilV/AppData/Local...nturer-bro.pdf

I had a 1995 Vectra 33RQ which although a bit more upscale than the Adventurer is still basically the same so I am well aware of the pain points of that era of coach especially once they get past 20 years old.

On the Chevy likely means a P32 Chassis (Bread Truck) so you would want to be careful to inspect the condition of the front air bags along with the independent front suspension (similar to 1950's and 60's automobiles with the same types of problems too) and be sure to find and check the condition of the electric parking brake system. This is operated by a hydraulic brake cylinder powered by an electric motor hidden underneath the coach near the transmission. It needs to have its fluid checked regularly and the brake fluid needs to be flushed out and replaced on a regular basis too. The way its mounted you have to crawl under the coach, clean the area around it along with the cover pristinely and use a mirror to check the fluid level if it does not have a transparent reservoir. There is no real park setting on the transmission so this hybrid hydraulically/spring operated drum brake mounted on the back of the transmission is all you have on the P30 chassis to keep your motor home from rolling away when you put it into park so its maintenance is really critical. I would recommend purchasing a set of wheel chocks to use anytime you leave a P30 parked where it might roll away if the autopark fails to engage completely. Another big problem is sometimes a failure of this system will cause it to engage while your driving forcing you to pull over. If you suddenly seem to loose power and start slowing down on the highway its a good time to start pulling over before you end up with the driveshaft locked up in the middle lane of an interstate.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:39 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Hi Sherrie, I hope you are progressing with your project. I have enjoyed my 34 foot1996 Winnebago Adventurer with the Chevy 454 for several years. It is now for sale.

I'm not an expert on anything. But, you can send me a private message and I'll give you my cell number and you can call me and ask anything of concern. I'll be happy to help if i can.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Very kind gesture Bo!
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Good Morning
It has been an interesting week. The motorhome made it's move and so it is closer to me now. I have to have some surgery on Wednesday, so I have been busy preparing for that unexpected event. Thank you everyone for all your help, Bo I will be in touch when I get done with surgery. Wish me luck !!! I bought the motor home off of craigslist. So there is no real process to making the former owner admit to his fibs. It runs, not to say it runs perfectly, but it got from point A to point B without stalling out or boiling over. That was one of my fears. Again thank you all. I am so looking forward to the challenge and with you all in my corner I know I will succeed.
Sherrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:47 PM   #30
wwr
Winnebago Camper

it looks like you have a remove able cord in the one picture you have a 30 amp female plug(recepticle} you should be able to get a cord male on both ends
wwr is offline   Reply With Quote