Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

My wife and I are about to close a deal on a 2002 Winnebago Journey 32T. This will be our first MH and we are full of questions. Neither of our Nissans are flat towable w/o major mods and given that our Maxima is getting old, we are considering the Honda CR-V as a future purchase. Does anyone have any experience with the Honda? In the mean time we are concidering a tow dollie, any comments? New dollies seem expensive and used ones seem none existent. Most of our use will be trips with friends who also have MH's and travel trailers and most local transportation can be with their P/U trucks. Anyone ever just rent a dollie from Uhaul when they need one?

The MH is at Frieghtliner right now getting the tach replaced and I have asked that the M3(?) maint check be done or confirm that it has been recently completed. The MH has 26,000 miles on it. There was some hydralic fluid on the ground after the slides were cycled out and in, that they said they would fix and I will be looking under her for the possible cracked SS shielding near the LP tank when it gets back from Frieghtliner. Are there anymore possible trouble spots we should be looking for before closing the deal.

I was extremely gratful to find this forum and have been reading back through it every chance I get. Thanks in advanced for any and all help.
HELISKIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

My wife and I are about to close a deal on a 2002 Winnebago Journey 32T. This will be our first MH and we are full of questions. Neither of our Nissans are flat towable w/o major mods and given that our Maxima is getting old, we are considering the Honda CR-V as a future purchase. Does anyone have any experience with the Honda? In the mean time we are concidering a tow dollie, any comments? New dollies seem expensive and used ones seem none existent. Most of our use will be trips with friends who also have MH's and travel trailers and most local transportation can be with their P/U trucks. Anyone ever just rent a dollie from Uhaul when they need one?

The MH is at Frieghtliner right now getting the tach replaced and I have asked that the M3(?) maint check be done or confirm that it has been recently completed. The MH has 26,000 miles on it. There was some hydralic fluid on the ground after the slides were cycled out and in, that they said they would fix and I will be looking under her for the possible cracked SS shielding near the LP tank when it gets back from Frieghtliner. Are there anymore possible trouble spots we should be looking for before closing the deal.

I was extremely gratful to find this forum and have been reading back through it every chance I get. Thanks in advanced for any and all help.
HELISKIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HELISKIER:
My wife and I are about to close a deal on a 2002 Winnebago Journey 32T. This will be our first MH and we are full of questions. Neither of our Nissans are flat towable w/o major mods and given that our Maxima is getting old, we are considering the Honda CR-V as a future purchase. Does anyone have any experience with the Honda? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't own a CR-V but know that it makes a great flat-tow vehicle. Another good choice are Jeep products, which would be my first choice, since I've owned Jeep Cherokees in the past. Very simple to flat-tow and you don't have to worry about tearing up a transmission, transfer case or differential. Some vehicles that say they can be flat-towed in fact must be started and driven in as little as 200 miles. Not really what I want to do when I want to actually get somewhere...

Check out this link - Dinghy Towing Guide at the MotorHome Magazine.

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Welcome, Heliskier!

And, congratulations on your purchase. You have found the place with good information. Remember - there is no such thing as a dumb question. Ask, and read each response. Then, if it doesn't sound right to you, it probably isn't! &lt;G&gt;

The Honda CRV is used by hundreds of RVers and has a great following. The best thing to do is to find a car that suits you and then make sure the OWNERS MANUAL states that it can be flat towed. In my opinion, there are many autos out there that can be towed without modification.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have been towing a 2000 CR-V for the past seven years and have towed it approximately 70,000 miles. I did have the transmission replaced once, but that was due to my own screw-up (I'm to ashamed to tell you what happened.) It's the best vehicle I've ever owned. At the present time, only the CR-V is approved by Honda for towing, but I have a feeling that a number of other models would be ok, although I'm sure the warranty would be voided. I sure see a lot of CR-V's on the road being towed!

Terry Smay

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I spelled "too" wrong in the previous post. Don't want to offend the language police.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We had a 2004 Honda CRV and towed it 10,000 miles. We liked it so well that last year we traded it in for a 2006 model. We tow with a Roadmaster tow bar and use the Brake Buddy. The CRV is easy to set up for towing.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

So why the jitter? Life is to short, enjoy!
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Honda builds a great toad. Have only heard good things about the CRV and I think you would be happy with it. Four down is the only way to go. In 2002 HWH had some problems with some of the hydraulic lines to the slides. I replaced the rear last year. HWH took care of most of the cost. You will probably be looking at new tires. Some good information on this site. Good luck---you will enjoy the coach.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote