Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2022, 08:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Finding 2018 Forza Air Tanks/Lanyards

I am speaking about the air tanks here not the air bags. My other DPs has three color coded lanyards behind the behind the right front tire. Air tanks should be emptied periodically in case of moisture. There is an air dryer that handles this issue, but the lanyards are there to manually drain the tanks. And if I remember correctly there is a sequence in which the lanyards should be pulled. I've looked through my chassis manual and it talks about manually emptying them, but doesn't tell where they are. DUH? For the life of me I cannot find the lanyards on my rig (2018 Forza 34T). Perhaps it doesn't have them, but I can't believe that
SgtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sometimes the motor home mfg forgets to uncoil them and stick them through the frame. You might need to crawl under your rig and look for them.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Sometimes the motor home mfg forgets to uncoil them and stick them through the frame. You might need to crawl under your rig and look for them.
I did that and with a flashlight and still could not find them. I know the darn things are there somewhere. I'm 81 so crawling around under there even with the jacks down was a real treat. I even used a crawler. I'll have to try it again.

Thanks for reply sir!
Old 01-29-2022, 04:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Locate the air tanks themselves, the valve will be on a low point on the tank and should have a lanyard attached to the release valve. You should also be able to hear the dryer when the air builds to is cutoff, maybe 120 psi indicated on your air gauge. Sometimes the tanks are in close proximity to the dryer.

You can trace the air lines from the dryer back to the tanks, just a thought.

If you have the chassis manual it should also show the location

Semper fi
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a 38W, and my landyards are on the front behind the tires. If you turn the wheel to the left, you will see two behind the right tire. Turn it to the right and I think there is one behind the left tire as well.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtB View Post
I did that and with a flashlight and still could not find them. I know the darn things are there somewhere. I'm 81 so crawling around under there even with the jacks down was a real treat. I even used a crawler. I'll have to try it again.

Thanks for reply sir!

I am 65, and post double knee replacement, Hats off to you for still being able to get on the ground at 81.

Whenever I find myself on the floor or ground, I always look around to see what else I can do while there, cause it doesn't happen that often, LOL
Old 02-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have a 38W, and my landyards are on the front behind the tires. If you turn the wheel to the left, you will see two behind the right tire. Turn it to the right and I think there is one behind the left tire as well.
That's where mine are in my 2017 Forza 34T. They are hard to see if you don't turn the tires.
Bill Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I am 65, and post double knee replacement, Hats off to you for still being able to get on the ground at 81.

Whenever I find myself on the floor or ground, I always look around to see what else I can do while there, cause it doesn't happen that often, LOL
Tim, had to laugh at your comment. I "think" I am a candidate for a right knee and right surgery. Have appts with the VA for rays on both. But at my age, don't know whether I will go through with what they recommend or not. Thirty-six years as a Marine Grunt has destroyed this ole body. Still "try" my best to stay active though.
Semper Fi, Jim
Old 02-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hallelujah

Firstly, I want to thank everyone who joined in this thread. I decided I was going to find those lanyard if it killed me. Raised the front of the rig till the tires were barely touching concrete. Got out my crawler, wrestled this ole body on to it and slide under the front ONE MORE time! And low and behold, I found all three of them. Behind the passenger tire and slightly to the right is one, slightly to the left is another. On the driver's side way behind the tire is the third one. If Winnebago expects someone to reach behind the tires and pull those lanyards without getting filthy dirty they are smoking something and it ain't cigars. Got out my awning hook and it was easy to reach in and hook the lanyard loop and pull it. Did so on all three. The one behind and to the left of the passenger tire let out lots of air, the other two barely a wisp came out, but I drained all three. Started the engine, which BTW amazes me about Winnies. The engine has to be running to operate the jacks and the slide outs -- strange! None of my Newmar's required that, all that was needed was to have the key on accessory for the jacks, but nothing for the slide outs. Maybe Newmar has changed that since my last one was a 2006?
The other thing I found strange was when I started the engine, air gauges were still at their max pressure. I would have thought that by bleeding the air tanks they would have been at zero?? Maybe someone a lot smarter than me can explain that. I swear on my Newmar's the gauges were at zero after draining the air tanks.
I realize my Winnie is much newer than my last DP (12 years) so it has been a learning curve for me familiarizing my self with all the nuance's. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about this Forza 34T, just have to keep looking things up in the manuals when I come across some "new stuff."
Anyway, thank you guys for forcing me to get under it one more time. It wasn't easy, but successful! Semper Fi; Jim
Old 02-04-2022, 04:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I use my awning hook as well, everything I have read is to bleed till there is no visible mist of moisture coming out. It should deplete the air some but I doubt you need to empty them. That could take awhile.

My Winnie needs the key on to operate the jacks and slides. Running the engine just makes sure the pump it getting g good voltage.

I had both knees done at the same time, May of 19.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Interestingly at Camp Freightliner we were told that at full pressure the air pushes past the water vapor without driving it out of the tanks. It was suggested that we release some of the pressure by pumping the brakes before pulling the lanyards.
Old 02-04-2022, 01:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Gotcha, will try that next time, but still don't understand why my garages should max pressure/
Old 02-05-2022, 06:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Custer View Post
Interestingly at Camp Freightliner we were told that at full pressure the air pushes past the water vapor without driving it out of the tanks. It was suggested that we release some of the pressure by pumping the brakes before pulling the lanyards.

That is interesting, did they give you a target air pressure that worked best?
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

They might have specified a pressure limit, but all I retained was that just pumping the brakes a couple of time (with engine turned off) would do it. That's what I did. Solved the problem of my brakes honking like a goose.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Honking like a goose, and i thought that was a McDonald's cup straw I was hearing.

Tags
tank