Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Factory Tour

We are at the factory tonight and will be taking the tour at 9 AM tomorrow. I will post the results. We drove around the plant and it is really, really big. I have several questions I need answered. There are about 10 other RV's here mainly waiting for service. They have a very nice waiting area with 30 amp service and free WiFi.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have taken that tour four times as I recall and enjoyed them.

Summer before last we went to the Grand National Rally and signed up for several of the special Rally tours. Those are really neat. You get right down on the floor with a guide. You also tour areas you don't see on the standard tours. Like the aluminum extrusion area, Stitchcraft (furniture), plastic molding. fiberglass molding and etc.

If you ever get a chance to go to the rally, be sure and sign up for some of those tours. I bet you will be happy you did.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We try to swing by the factory every couple of years too and love it. I've found that I actually prefer staying at the rally grounds rather than the small area they have near the service office.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I was highly impressed with the tour. Haven't done the museum yet, but will this afternoon. They are making about 20 units a day with over half the smaller fuel efficient coaches, many with the Mercedes engine reported to get 17 mpg. The whole place seemed to be efficient. Their production is about half (100 per week) what it used to be before the RV bust.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Lindsay
We probably crossed paths there. We arrived the yesterday afternoon just before they closed for the day. They directed us to and we parked in the grass area with 30 amp hook up (Wow was it hot! 97 or so degrees) They replaced out propane tank today and we were out of there mid afternoon. You may have noticed my wife or I walking Duke, the big pug.
WE ARE EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH WINNEBAGO AND THE SERVICE WE RECEIVED!!
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We arrived yesterday afternoon at 3:30 PM and parked at the 30 amp sites outside the visitors center. They are gravel. I did see some coaches parked in a grassy area and saw somebody setting out some chairs I believe around 6 PM. Did you see all of those Class C's headed for Alaska all lined up. People take them up. They pay $750 and the gas for the 3,900 mile trip and pay their way back. They get 11 days and there is a waiting list. They are for the Alaskan rental market.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Can you please do me a favor? If you happen to see a 2012 Dark Cherry Itasca Silver can you take a picture?

Ah heck I'm probably too late.
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We must have arrived just before you - about 3:20. There had a black snake in the parking lot in front of the service entrance, apparently it hitched a ride on/in an RV that came up from Florida. I think you were parked in the line of RV's close to the service entrance. We were back behind you - We were parked next to a very nice Mercedez powered Class C. Our Journey is 39 colored tan and blue and there was one with the identical paint at the west end of the row of RV's waiting for service Nope, didn't see the Class C's all lined up.

Sorry, To late for me to take a photo for you - we are just south of St. Paul.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I came from Florida, but it took several weeks. We were not on the service side, but at the visitors side in a Itasca Suncruiser (gray on white) parked near the South end of the line of 16 sites.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Tour Dates

Are they open for tours everyday?
Eriik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

They do the tours Monday thru Friday at 9 AM and 1 PM. It takes about 2 hours and is very interesting. You might call ahead to be sure they have space available.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks!
Eriik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Can you please do me a favor? If you happen to see a 2012 Dark Cherry Itasca Silver can you take a picture?
Was that the one that had the big scratch along the drivers side?