Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Well I finally got to the factory for some work on our coach. We have lived in it full time for almost 3 years now and really cannot complain as most of the problems we have had were minor and I was able to fix them myself. My main reason for getting factory service was to fix the bedroom slide leak and the peeling clearcoat on the edge of the roof. We did have a small list of other things which they are working on.

Being fully aware that the bedroom slide leak and the clearcoat peeling were very common problems from new in most of the '04 models I felt we would get some help from Winnebago. Well NO chance they said the coach was too old for warranty work which is a bit of a copout. I did not expect to get all sorts of things fixed for free just the 2 things which are well documented on line as being problems.

We have owned 2 Winnebago coaches over 8 years and I would have to say we are very happy with the product even though we do not have personal experience with other brands. I felt confident that Winnebago would help us out with the problems which they were well aware of.

The clearcoat repair would be about $1100 they said so I won't be doing that and the slide is going to be around $700 which I need to do so I don't have more problems later.

Right now I am very unhappy with Winnebago. Until now I had always told people how good Winnebago was and recommended that they buy a Winnebago over other comparable brands. Tiffin would have been my next choice but I doubt I would have made the change until this trip. When I do look for another coach Tiffin will probably be above Winnebago on my list of choices.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well I finally got to the factory for some work on our coach. We have lived in it full time for almost 3 years now and really cannot complain as most of the problems we have had were minor and I was able to fix them myself. My main reason for getting factory service was to fix the bedroom slide leak and the peeling clearcoat on the edge of the roof. We did have a small list of other things which they are working on.

Being fully aware that the bedroom slide leak and the clearcoat peeling were very common problems from new in most of the '04 models I felt we would get some help from Winnebago. Well NO chance they said the coach was too old for warranty work which is a bit of a copout. I did not expect to get all sorts of things fixed for free just the 2 things which are well documented on line as being problems.

We have owned 2 Winnebago coaches over 8 years and I would have to say we are very happy with the product even though we do not have personal experience with other brands. I felt confident that Winnebago would help us out with the problems which they were well aware of.

The clearcoat repair would be about $1100 they said so I won't be doing that and the slide is going to be around $700 which I need to do so I don't have more problems later.

Right now I am very unhappy with Winnebago. Until now I had always told people how good Winnebago was and recommended that they buy a Winnebago over other comparable brands. Tiffin would have been my next choice but I doubt I would have made the change until this trip. When I do look for another coach Tiffin will probably be above Winnebago on my list of choices.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My coach has been through factory service three times for a leaky bedroom slide and it still leaks. Yes it does leak less and only sometimes, so check yours well before you leave Forest City if you're going to spend $700.

2010 View 24K
warrenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #4

$700 seems fairly reasonable for slide work with a 5 year old unit. Your motorhome's age is probably on the edge of good customer relations warrantee service, and could be that Winnebago might think the same.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Like I said in a post to somebody a while ago, it is a very tough business environment now especially for RV manufacturers and dealers. Winnebago has been aggressively attempting to contain and eliminate costs and I suspect lots of work like yours that would have been previously been done and written off as 'goodwill' aren't going to happen now.

I'm sorry you aren't having luck with your out-of-warranty issues, but on the other hand, I certainly want Winnebago to stay healthy, viable, and survive a really bad economic scenario.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sorry to hear but, as John stated, the current economic situation and its impact on the RV industry, may well be the reason they will not consider out-of-warranty goodwill repairs.

Two suggestions on the clearcoat (sorry if you've already considered these):

1. take the coach directly to CDI...I believe they paint the rigs for Winnebago and perhaps they might do a goodwill fix or at least offer it at a reduced rate.

2. check with a good truck paint shop or any good body shop. You might find someone who will re-clear the affected area for less than $1,100.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

CDI did a warranty repaint on my 2004 Meridian clear coat in April 2008, but as has been stated, the economic situation may have changed things completely. Over a year ago when I first contacted CDI about the pealing clear coat they said my travel expenses would be included in the warranty, but that changed by the time I got there in April 2008. But talk with them anyway.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Guess I'm missing something. I have never expected or received warranty service on an item beyond warranty. Transmission is covered for 60K miles, you can bet it will go at 62K. 80K tires are gone at 60K so you get an adjustment of $10 each. Try returning something to the BigBox office store 31 days after purchase. The plumber warranties the cleanout for 90 days, yup 100 days later you need it rootered again. Sure would be nice if the gel coat lasted 10 or 20 years, but it doesn't. Especially in the rain, snow, sun, sand, and ozone. So don't blame Winnebago, or Fleetwood, or GM, Ford, or Toyota. They give you a warranty, it can be extended for allot of money. Would it have lasted longer if you had the coach professionally waxed ever six months? Please, this is not a personal attack. I feel the same way when something goes wrong. But we cannot expect the builder/dealer to support our purchase for life, not if we wish to purchase our toys at a reasonable price. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

arkaussie, Did you buy your coach new or used? Sometimes that makes a difference at the factory on "good-will" repairs. Good Luck, Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kalynzoo:
Guess I'm missing something. I have never expected or received warranty service on an item beyond warranty. Transmission is covered for 60K miles, you can bet it will go at 62K. 80K tires are gone at 60K so you get an adjustment of $10 each. Try returning something to the BigBox office store 31 days after purchase. The plumber warranties the cleanout for 90 days, yup 100 days later you need it rootered again. Sure would be nice if the gel coat lasted 10 or 20 years, but it doesn't. Especially in the rain, snow, sun, sand, and ozone. So don't blame Winnebago, or Fleetwood, or GM, Ford, or Toyota. They give you a warranty, it can be extended for allot of money. Would it have lasted longer if you had the coach professionally waxed ever six months? Please, this is not a personal attack. I feel the same way when something goes wrong. But we cannot expect the builder/dealer to support our purchase for life, not if we wish to purchase our toys at a reasonable price. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you 100%. That's why warranties have conditions.

I would think that if the OP had this problem for a while it would have been prudent to return to the factory before the warranty expired.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I was just at CDI on Wednesday and they repaired under warranty the clear coat peeling on the radius on the sides, and the rear cap. They told me that when they first started painting coaches in 03 they were painting the radius area with the slides out. The painter could not reach over the slide well enough to get the correct amount of clear coat applied. That, and the sun is the reason for the problem.

I also had some non warranty work done at a rate of $75.00/hour (including materials). I don't think you will beat that at any body shop. Unlike Winnebago, CDI is great to work with and they try their best to meet your needs and extend GoodWill warranty often.

With the RV Industry contracting the way it is I think someone at Winnebago better start thinking about the return on investment when owners come to them with a known problem like a slide leak. They know in 03, 04, and 05 they had slide leaks because of poorly designed slide seals and a new slide seal was introduced in 06. They should have extended a Good Will warranty to a 04 owner. This action in the future might sell a new coach, and by the looks of things they might need that sale. Winnebago is cutting costs in the wrong places, and they better realize their future is tied directly to present owners happinesss with their product, and their service center's actions. I purchased a second Winnebago because of their service center and many others will probably feel the same.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I for one just don't understand why anyone knowing there RV or whatever is past warranty would expect it to be repaired for free. If the company does repair it for free after warranty that's a plus. But to be upset to the point of saying they will probably buy another brand next time because the company didn't give them a free ride they don't have coming is nuts! And why on earth would you wait 3 years to have a leak repaired??

I just had a problem with my Roadmaster tow bar that's 8 years old. I called them to ask if it could be repaired expecting to pay the bill. They sent me the parts at no cost. Am I happy, yes. But being out of warranty I fully expected to pay the bill. And sure wouldn't have came on this or any other forum saying I would buy another brand if they had not shipped the parts at no charge.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:22 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I can partly understand the OP's position -if there were prior known problems there is a chance for coverage.

However, since there was or is no recall for the known problem the buyer is definetly on their own.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:36 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Something that some have missed is that I never asked for any help on any out of warranty problems that had surfaced late which could have happened for whatever reason. The slide leaks and the paint were very well documented on this forum and others. The slide had never been worked on as they would have been able to see.

CDI did look at it I'm told and said no. I'll deal with it myself when I have the time.

I also do not wish to ride Winnebago out of business and most of the little problems I have fixed myself while still advocating that others should buy a Winnebago based on the two products of theirs I have owned.

I have never been one to get every free advantage that I could extract from a manufacturer. The problem of the metal brackets seperating from the fibreglass is just one that I have fixed myself in 4 different places now.

If you think about it, Winnebago's cheapest advertising is their existing customers and without going overboard they do need to look after them. Winnebago does support the WIT club and that is an advantage for them which they must realize or they wouldn't do it.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arkaussie:The slide leaks and the paint were very well documented on this forum and others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Perhaps they were very well documented on this forum. But the questions is, did you document your problems with the factory or the dealership?

How would anyone know that you were having problems unless you notified someone?

I wonder if I could go back to the builder that built my home 5 years ago and try to get him to replace the weather stripping around my doors, because the original materials weren't good enough or that they didn't last long enough?
Old 10-05-2008, 06:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

To see how tough times are one just has to drive around Forest City, lots of houses for sale and many empty storefronts.

We just left there after having work done and yes things that in the past would have been "goodwill" items we had to pay for. Did we expect to YES because times are tough. They want to keep as many techs working as possible and that does take money.

They still gave us excellant care and were very helpful but it was easy to see that things are not good.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I've found - over the decades - that attitude has a lot to do with outcome, too.

Storming into an establishment and demanding undeserved service rarely works, in my opinion. There also seem to be 2 geographic regions of origin for that mode of acquisition, and in the other 90% of this country it DOES NOT work.

Walking in, being pleasant, having a chat, expalining - quietly - the situation and asking if there is anything they can do to help generally yields a satisfactory arrangment. People are usually more than happy to help, if they can; they tend to buck up when they're told they have to please you, or else.

I also feel no disdain for anyone who does what they say they will do. If the warranty is for 2 years from date of delivery - on day 731, they have done what they said they will. If you have a problem prior to that and do not notify them, sorry!!

IF you want to hear a legitimate gripe - let me tell you about an $1800 Monaco repair that was clearly under warranty, and they refused on a technicality that was NOT spelled out in the warranty.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:49 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

There are exceptions to everything. It took me 5 years of negotiating and reasoning to get Winnebago to resolve a fiberglass "Pock" problem with my 2001 Suncruiser. At no time did any one lose their cool. In 2008 Winnebago replaced all the walls, slide and entry door at no cost to me. (It come to look like someone shot at it with a shotgun). My investment was on the brink of being a total loss to me. Only the chassis would have been saleable. There was no re-call on this problem, but they stood behind their product and I am a die hard Winnebago, happy owner. Did I expect them to take care of the problem, (you bet), even at six years out of warranty. They did the replacement with the utmost courtesy to myself and my wife. Good People, Good Company.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

"I've found - over the decades - that attitude has a lot to do with outcome, too. "

I was in La Mesa RV iin Mesa a few years ago and waiting for some service. There was a guy in there puffing and complaining about the 'lemon' RV he had been stuck with.

Seems he had a couple minor problems and was horribly dissatisfied.

The service advisor came in and talked with all of us in the waiting room except Mr. Bi*cher. When he got to me, I ask if he shouldn't talk to the complainer before me since he was there when I arrived.

He told me this jerk came in about once a month (after every weekend trip) and yelled/P&Moaned about his horrible problems.

The SA 'splained he would be the last seen 'just because'!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:16 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Sorry guys I can't let this go by without a comeback.

1. Read Arkaussie's first posting. Item one, clearcoat peeling. Winnebago told him they wanted $1100.00 to repair it. They fully knew that CDI would do this as a Good Will warranty. If he would have paid CDI for the repair it would have been 4 hours @ $75.00/hour, or $300.00. You guys are going to tell me this was the mark of a company that stands behind their customer, yup you are right! They are trying to grab his wallet! This is unacceptable business practice, and makes my point, if Winnebago intends to stay in business this type of practiice must come to a stop.

2. Slide leak. Winnebago has known that from 03 through 05 they had a defect with slide seals. There was no recall because the cost would have been too high so they did what the auto industry does in cases like this, they repair them as customers present them with the issue. Remember slides are under warranty for 3 years, and Arkaussie is probably a year or so out of warranty. In my opinion Winnebago should extend a Good Will warranty to a customer under these conditions. You don't tighten your belts on the backs of the customers, and if you do you will no longer be in business.

I understand there is general disaggreement with my position on this forum. You all seem to think Arkaussie is asking for "something for nothing", but remember he is entitled to fair treatment from Winnebago, and I don't think he received it.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote