Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Factory Service?

Had a really sticky slide issue that had my local dealer stumped. Going to be in Iowa next week so called factory for an appointment. NEXT available is August 5!! IMHO, this is tantamount to NO factory service. You've got to be kidding me. I'm going to travel for the next two and a half months with an inoperative slide? BTW, I'm still in warranty.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I got great assistance on a problem several dealers had failed to fix by asking the factory to refer me to a dealer that they KNEW could handle the problem ...and then they also worked w/the dealer by phone to ensure it was fixed.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We had a slide lock motor go out while on our recent trip home from Charlotte. Called the factory service center and they indicated appointments were several weeks out, but they could try to get me in anyway. 2 weeks or so later we arrived and they handled the problem the next day, along with replacing a leaking levelor sensor. I was greatly appreciative of their efforts and got out of there for less than $300! Winnebago made a friend that day.

The advice to seek another dealer may be a good solution in the OP's dilemma. More than a few owners seek the same good service we experienced at the factory. Unfortunately only so many can get serviced in a given day. It would be great if Winnebago would enlarge their service facility, but that's probably wishful thinking.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you look at all of the negative comments about dealer service on every owner forum, you will understand why the Winnebago factory service center is booked out until Aug. 5th. Dealers want to sell coaches and get them out the door. The focus on excellent service techs that are well trained is less important.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would just show up.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The factory does accept walk ins.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

As stated above they do accept walk-ins. We have been at the factory five times over the years and they usually work people in within three or four days - often less time.

The one time we didn't have an appointment (Grand Rally week when they don't take appointments for a week or so before and after the rally) They got us in one day after we arrived.

We always enjoyed our time at the factory and usually arrived early for our appointments. There was a lot of visiting back and forth and even a couple of potlucks.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Had a really sticky slide issue that had my local dealer stumped. Going to be in Iowa next week so called factory for an appointment. NEXT available is August 5!! IMHO, this is tantamount to NO factory service. You've got to be kidding me. I'm going to travel for the next two and a half months with an inoperative slide? BTW, I'm still in warranty.
I went to Forest City last June to have a paint issue fixed at the Winnebago paint contractor On the way out there I developed a leak in the dashboard air pressure gage. Without an appointment, the service center got me in one day after my arrival. Super service and a very nice facillity.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

This is our second Winnebago motorhome. We have been to the factory for service several times with things that needed to be repaired. We were "drop ins" for all but one of those instances. We have never waited for more than 1 day for them to start work on our coach.

Every time when I left Forest City the problem had been fixed and did not re-occur later. That is important to me.

I appreciate Winnebago service leaving some slots open for drop ins.

There is a dump station and potable water available in the city park ... there are multiple 30 amp electrical hookups near the service center and at the visitor center.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The service center and visitor center hookups are now 50 amp. If you are 30 amp bring a 50 to 30 amp adapter.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Ditto on just showing up and getting worked in in a few days. All scheduled appointments begin on a Monday, at least that is the way it was two years ago. Some appointments only require a day or two, and so that slot is then free for a walk-in, I believe.

At that time the service center hookups were for appointment only rigs. We have stayed at the visitor center and on the rally grounds adjacent to the visitor center, in addition to the service center when we had an appointment.

While you're there visit the museum at the visitor center and take a tour of the factory if that is still offered.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I guess the good news is that Winnebago is still in business and selling lots of motor homes. The bad news is the same, AND they all require service. I agree with everyone that said, just stop by and they will try to get you in. Good luck and keep us posted.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I'll add my vote for being a walk in. I've done it several times. I believe you just make sure you're there when they open and they put your name on a waiting list. Often times you're called right away but at other times it might take a day or so but they'll work you in.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Winnebago is not the only one booked out for months. Dutchmen also has that issue. When we had our 5er, Dutchmen was always booked up solid for at least 3 months. The service manager said when they become overwhelmed they use an outside RV dealership nearby, and it carries the same workmanship requirements as the factory center.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

As others have suggested, don't expect service on a Monday as they are 100% booked but they do accept walk ins based on arrival date. Your chances are good that you will get in Wednesday or later when the Monday crowds are done. I believe they do not make appointments for Fridays so they can get as many out as possible by the end of the week.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

My dealer really talked up how they assigned a tech to go through the thing, test and check everything. Said he spent 2 days getting the thing ready. My ass! One of 2 license plate lights don't work, undersized center platform for the twin bed that collapses when you put weight on it as the rails are too narrow. A faulty buzzing speaker.
Had the thing just a week and had to make my own oak rails to be able to use the center platform.
Kinda pissed me off as the dealer is a 3 hour round trip away.
I think they just wash and clean them up at delivery and that's it!
nomansland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Wednesday afternoon through Friday is when there is the best chance for them to squeeze in walk-ins. If you can be there by 3:00PM and get on the drop-in list, you might get in. Plus, they might have a spot for you to stay overnight, there. If not, there is a State Park just north of town. If it is not possible to get factory service, you might get lucky and be able to get into very good Winnebago dealer 1 mile away that might help too. Lichstien I think...spellling???? At any rate, be available to be at there door at 7::00 AM. I have been there 2 times and have gotten excellant service. Good Luck
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomansland View Post
My dealer really talked up how they assigned a tech to go through the thing, test and check everything. Said he spent 2 days getting the thing ready. My ass! One of 2 license plate lights don't work, undersized center platform for the twin bed that collapses when you put weight on it as the rails are too narrow. A faulty buzzing speaker.
Had the thing just a week and had to make my own oak rails to be able to use the center platform.
Kinda pissed me off as the dealer is a 3 hour round trip away.
I think they just wash and clean them up at delivery and that's it!
Wow are you kidding, this is all

rream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service