Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Factory order stuck at factory?

We made a deal for a new Adventurer 37f. The dealer's first ETA was 6/18/13. As of today 7/2 the ETA is far less precise.

"Right now at best case scenario it may not ship this week since it hasn't gone to the shipping yard yet, so it may not ship until next Monday . Or it may ship once it gets to the shipping yard and be here by weeks end. I can't give you a date until it ships."

Did I mention we have been cooling our heals at a nearby hotel since 6/24/13, figuring the dealer would have plenty of time to do their thing?

Since this is our first factory order we are flummoxed and vexed. After all it is not often we spend this kind of money. Is this typical of Winnebago or has our coach failed the final inspections many times and is therefore fubar? Or is this normal?
WineLuvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I think the dealer may have been a bit optomistic when giving you the arrival date. The factory usually gives a date range of 3 to 4 weeks. Not an exact date. In all likelyhood the holdup is the full body paint. It takes several days and sometimes over a week to get the painting itself done. After it's painted they have to buff the entire coach and put on some of the accessories like windshield wipers, washers and a few other things that they either remove to paint or are installed after the paint job is complete.

The paint shop likes to run similar or the same color paint jobs at the same time. If there are several of a certain paint scheme ordered at the same time they like to keep them together. It makes for less color changes and lessens the times the units have to be moved in and out of the paint booth.

When we ordered our 2013 Adventurer we were given a date range of April 8th to April 30th. The actual delivery date to the dealer was April 22nd. The predelivery prep took a few days so we picked it up April 26th.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We have not even picked the moterhome up and it is costing us money. I guess we had better get used to spending!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

WineLuvrs,
First congrats on your new 2014 motor home!!! Don't give up hope. Yes, the painting is the last "assembly" item but then is goes through a thorough inspection Sometimes the inspections require additional work or a change in an original installation. This can happen before or after the paint work. CDI does all their paint work and they do a good job but they often get blamed for the delay when they have not even received the motor home yet. I went to CDI to try to find my new motor home only to find out the dash had a crack in the plastic which didn't pass inspection and it was being replaced. I am sure you will thrilled and happy when it finally arrives. You will have some additional "punch list" items but is normal.
Are you going full time or just hanging around the dealer's place?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Good question...Our original plan was to take several 150-200 miles day trips to nearby CGs and exercise the various systems. Our thinking is that any of the inevitable faults could be dealt with at the original dealership. Then return to our east coast FBO, regroup for a month before heading out to Brookings OR, our West Coast FBO for six months. Now we must return to NC at time to be determined, drive immediately to FL and soon thereafter hit the road for the West Coast. Our fervid hope is that the delays are only because of the thoroughness of the inspections and that we do not suffer any major failures while far away from the dealer. As of today we are 13 days past the dealers 3-4 week ETA. Is something going on at the factory to merit such delays?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Did you have the delivery date in writing on the contract ?
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Did you have the delivery date in writing on the contract ?
No, that particular line item was left blank. This is our first factory order and we failed to get that point in writing, ( good lesson) The rest of our communications have been via email, as we live in FL and the dealer is in NC.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineLuvrs View Post
No, that particular line item was left blank. This is our first factory order and we failed to get that point in writing, ( good lesson) The rest of our communications have been via email, as we live in FL and the dealer is in NC.

I doubt you'll ever get an exact delivery date on a contract. The dealer isn't going to put something in the contract that's out of their control. We've never bought a motorhome, car or truck off the lot. All have been factory orders.

In over 2 dozen vehicles I've never seen a dealer put an exact delivery date on a contract. There are just too many variables. The last truck I ordered was almost 6 weeks later than the expected delivery date due to a parts shortage.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I can sure understand your frustration.

However, when you ask "is this normal for Winnebago?" or "is something going on at the factory?" ...etc. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the business news reports we've all been hearing about lately.

The RV business is booming now that the economy is rebounding and pent up demand for RVs is driving sales. Winnebago stock, in particular, has been soaring, up more than 100% in the last year.

CNBC has been running quite a few reports on this phenomenon lately all mentioning Winnebago and the backlog:

May 31, 2013: clip where the CEO of Winnebago interviewed > click here

July 1, 2013: RVs New Toys of Summer

July 1, 2013: What a $380,000 RV Looks Like

So, no, generally speaking, I don't think it's normal for the factory to have such a backlog.

Be patient. I know it must be difficult, but in the end I think you'll be pleased with your purchase --when if finally arrives.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Have you tried contacting the Factory in Forest City? They may be able to give you more accurate delivery information than you are receiving from the dealer.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Request a factory Discount.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Have you tried contacting the Factory in Forest City? They may be able to give you more accurate delivery information than you are receiving from the dealer.
FWIW, I think this is the best "advice" yet. Sometimes things slip into a crack and just keep getting over-looked. It only costs a phone call to Forest City to possibly expedite your coach's shipment.

I'm a little surprised a FL resident had to buy in NC. You couldn't have made the same deal in Seffner????
Ed
Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

You can call the factory but they can only tell you when the unit is ready to be shipped. They can't tell you when it will leave. We called a week or so into our delivery window and got a date when the unit would be ready to roll out the door. All that gave us was the date it would go in the line of those waiting to be delivered

Once the unit is finished the paperwork goes to a company they hire to deliver the motorhomes. The delivery service determines when it actually leaves Forest City. I'm sure the delivery company is getting them out as fast as they possibly can. However with the recent boom in RV sales I'm sure there's a long line of units waiting to be delivered. They're hiring and training drivers as fast as they can. The last thing you want is some unqualified jockey tearing across the country in your $150,000.00+ motorhome.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Good luck! We ordered our Vista 35F on April 10 and it finally arrived at the dealer the evening of June 29. We were calling the dealer weekly for status updates the last several weeks. We've been told they are desperately short of drivers, due to the overwhelming demand this year.
Ken-N-Liesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

The RV business is very good right now. The Winnie factory is probably running at close to full capacity. I know that you are anxious but I would be patient and make sure that they get everything right for your new RV. Oh, and congrats!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Being at the factory...There are many dozens of motorhomes with the sold signs on the windshield.

Asked a service manager about "all them there motorhomes" just sitting. Response: "we can't get them delivered". So take that for what it's worth.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

As a sidelight, Winnebago's sales are up 38% year to date....a huge increase in orders and production lines can only do X units a day/week so folks may have to wait for their great unit. Hang in, you are getting a quality product which will give you many years of enjoyment....
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Motorhome Backlog Nearly Triples

Winnebago Motorhome Backlog Nearly Triples | RV Business
Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I'd still think a call to the factory would be good. Maybe you can find out if it has been built and ready for delivery. If built and ready for delivery you might be able to get an accurate estimate for a shipping date. Ebay & Walmart keep you posted on very inexpensive items - I'd think a big ticket item would be tracked. Just my opinion.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

WineLuvrs, you might want to think about routing yourself near Forest City, IA on your trip west or back east. The inevitable punch list items can be taken care of at the factory, a lot better than most dealers, IMHO!
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote