Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
2018 Vista 35f

Extra step when using low amp shore power

I have been reading these forums for months, have purchased a new 2018 vista 35f, proceeded through the PDI and never has anyone explained that (with a 50 amp option and the magnum 2000 watt inverter with a 4 battery bank) you have to reset the panel in two places to 15 amp draw if you have reduced down shore power to 15 amps. It's not automatic. And if you don't it defaults to draw 30 amps which will heat up a 12 gauge extension cord and eventually trip the GFI in your garage. If you unplug and replug (like I did when I got back from HD with a lower gauge extension cord) I resets to draw 30 amps. I would have expected this to be automatic but it's not. Other new owners should be aware.
RvExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have read that you shouldn't plug into a GFI outlet, but I don't remember why that is.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Motorhomes and home GFI circuits do not play well together. The reason is the different way that grounds are handled in the motorhome. You are well protected in the motorhome with your own GFI circuits. Plugging into an external GFI can be an adventure - it may work fine and then trip, for no apparent reason, in the middle of the night. For that reason, I recommend that people who store their motorhomes at their house, install a 50 amp receptacle and breaker. For 30 amp coaches, use an adapter or dog bone.

As to setting your Magnum Panel to limit the amp usage for the charger, you should only have to do that at the Magnum panel. If you have a load sharing system, it will sense the incoming power as a 30 amp circuit or less and pretty much take care of things from that end. If you are plugged into a household 15 amp circuit, you can't run more than the charger and the refrigerator anyway.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power