Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Extended Warranty Worth the Cost?

We're taking delivery on a new Itasca Sunstar 30T next month & I know the dealer will try to sell us an extended warranty. My philosophy with cars has always to buy quality products & not waste money on warranties. How do others feel about this on a new Winnebago?
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall View Post
We're taking delivery on a new Itasca Sunstar 30T next month & I know the dealer will try to sell us an extended warranty. My philosophy with cars has always to buy quality products & not waste money on warranties. How do others feel about this on a new Winnebago?
It is like insurance...buy it and hope you do not need it or don't buy it and pray you never have a need for it! You will get many, many opinions from those who think that it is a waste of money and those who will tell you that it saved the $1000's of dollars. At the end of the day you need to make up your own mind...
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We don't buy them and are thousands of $$ ahead.

Ask the salesman why they think you need it, is the quality of the rig that low and if so why do I want the rig in the first place.

Consumer Reports recommends against buying them although they don't test RV's either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Generally speaking you will get a year of warranty with a new rig purchase. At the end of the year evaluate your experience and then flip a coin to see if you might need it. On my first two motorhomes I never needed it on this one ( High line diesel) I could have used it several times....Sigh. It truly is a crap shoot. If you choose to buy one, read every line, the industry is notorius for denying claims when obscure rules are not followed.

Just as a thought, be sure to fill and record every warranty card that comes with your purchase.

Don G.,WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Generally speaking you will get a year of warranty with a new rig purchase. At the end of the year evaluate your experience and then flip a coin to see if you might need it. On my first two motorhomes I never needed it on this one ( High line diesel) I could have used it several times....Sigh. It truly is a crap shoot. If you choose to buy one, read every line, the industry is notorius for denying claims when obscure rules are not followed.

Just as a thought, be sure to fill and record every warranty card that comes with your purchase.

Don G.,WIT 70041
X2, good advice!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

First, you don't have to buy an extended warranty from the dealer, there are many out there you can buy directly. Like anything else, do your research, look for comments pro and con, on the internet.

Keep in mind, with an RV, you aren't just insuring the engine, chassis, etc. But the appliances, awnings, slideouts, plumbing, electrical system, generator, and other equipment. And you are getting a big box, with all those things in it, that goes through a major earthquake everytime you drive down the road. I'm always amazed at how well these things hang together, all things considered.

So can things go wrong, eventually yes. Now the calculations, cost of making repairs vs saving your money and handling each one at a time on your own.

With a new coach, usually, you get a 4-5 year extended warranty at a very cheap price, because they know the first year is covered by the standard warranty of the rig and equipment. Later it gets more expensive.

In my case, I didn't expect any trouble, but we were going fulltime, and figured that we could afford the $500 deductible on any big item, and would fix the little things ourselves. Lo and behold, brand new diesel rig, went through the usual punchlist items several times over the first year, all was good, our dealer and the initial warranty covered all problems. At 14 months old, the Norcold refer quit cooling. Yep, required a new cooling unit, warranty was up at 12 months. Not happy, paid the $500 deductible, but the rest of the bill was covered, and was about the same that I paid for the extended warranty when the rig was new.

Since then, we have had a few small repairs along the way, did our maintenance as required, and all is good. Should something big, break, I still have two more years to go, with my extended warranty and feel very good about my decision to purchase it. Do the math, maybe it works for you, maybe not.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My neighbor owns several car lots. He makes on average 75% on extended warrentys (service contracts) some as high as 90%. You buy a service contract for $5000.00 the dealer may make $4000.00. I suggest putting that money into a savings account in case you need a large repair.
I have never bought a service contract and had not needed them ever. (now the cat on my DP will need ahuie pump now!!!!)
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

First of all the "extended warranty" won't even come into effect until all the factory warranties have expired. That means they won't cover anything for the first year and nothing on the chassis for at least 3 years.

Secondly, even though they like to call it an extended warranty it isn't. The warranties come from the manufacturers. The product they want you to purchase is an extended service contract. It comes from an insurance company which in all likelyhood has no connection with Winnebago or Ford.

Third, there are as many variations of these contracts as there are people selling them. If you choose to buy one ( We never have) read it carefully and understand exactly what it covers and what it doesn't cover. A rule of thumb is that if an item isn't specifically mentioned it probably isn't covered.

You also need to know the circumstances under which the policy will cover a given event. I have seen contracts that cover major engine failures, but not if they were caused by loss of coolant or loss of lubrication. Essentially that means if your engine siezes because of an oil leak there's no coverage.

Keep in mind the company selling you the policy is betting you won't have any problems, and they won't have to pay out any money. You on the other hand are betting you will have a problem, and they will pay to have it repaired.