Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2022, 09:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Extended Warranty Questions

Went out and did a search on " Warranty" and could not find the answer I'm looking for.
What extended warranty company are you using, if any, that you find reasonable and is willing to work with issues that may occur instead of always saying, " We don't cover that problem."

I know that some are good and some are absolutely horrid. I've always have done good with a vehicle extended warranty, but never had much luck with towable extended. Now I have a class A.

Thanks
fyreplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 10:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Fyreplug,
My dad sold insurance, and from him I learned many things. He told me you only buy insurance for those things which you cannot afford to replace. Home insurance and auto coverage can cover a huge financial loss, but you should repair your motorhome out of your own bank account.
Take the money you would have spent on the extended warranty and save it in a cookie jar. I bet the jar never gets emptied!
Eagle5
Old 12-30-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

First off, by law it is not a warranty; it is an extended service contract. It is not much different than buying a health insurance policy.
Why do you buy a health or dental insurance policy; it's to cover those things you cannot afford to to replaced.
For instance, an irv2.com member bought a newer MH with a Cummins ISX 650 HP engine. That engine self-destructed 2X.. The first time Cummins paid $10K of the $34K repair bill. The secont time he had to pay the entire $30K out-of-his bank account.
I would not recommend buying an ESC from an RV dealer, their percentage is fairly large and you are paying interest of the price of the ESC as long as the MH is financed.
We bought an ESC on this MH when we bought it because it had been parked in a barn for 8 years, and we expected a list of repaires/replacements. During the 3 yr. contract all repairs were for the coach portion, none were filed on the chassis portion. The ESC paid out more than the cost of the 3 yr policy/contract,j including deductibles, freight and diagnostic inspections.

With all the electronice in/on a modern MH or RV trailer, I would again purchase an ESC when buying used.

IMO the best extended service contract is through wholesalewarranties.com. This is an independent broker who shops the marketplace for the best policy to meet your requirements.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 10:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreplug View Post
Went out and did a search on " Warranty" and could not find the answer I'm looking for.
Probably because it’s not a “warranty” but mechanical breakdown insurance or an extended service contract.

The question gets asked a lot. People are either for them or against them. Don’t be fooled into thinking it’s something you have to have because you have a motorhome. Lots of people get them, some are glad they did. I’d guess and it’s just a guess that the majority of motorhome owners do not get them.

I didn’t when I got my motorhome and I’m very glad that I did not.

If you’re buying your motorhome from a dealer whatever you do, don’t buy from them.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:39 AM   #5
Site Team

CreativePart is right about people having differing options on extended warranties. I have one, so you know what I think. :-) One of the best in the business right now is Wholesale Warranties. Their prices are good and they have a good reputation.

https://wholesalewarranties.com/

Al
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Opinions are like anuses, everyone has one and they're generally stinky. Totally your decision based on what can you do on your own and what is it worth to have someone else to do it? How much is peace of mind worth? Hell of a lot cheaper/easier to work on a Class C and Travel Trailer (and older Class A gassers) than a diesel pusher. Replacing an AC is easy, replacing a dropped value on a ISL9 is not.
GrumpyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

What makes wholesalewarranties.com different is they are an independent agency. They shop among their selected insurance carriers to find the best fit for a customer.
reference: https://wholesalewarranties.com/freq...ked-questions/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I would suggest that the first question you should ask yourself is whether or not you are mechanically able to repair things that go wrong with your RV. If so you probably don't need an ESP. If not, like me, you may want one.

My policy is to only buy an ESP if I am buying a used RV. I assume that most problems will be found within the first year, given how often we use our RV, so if I am buying a new RV I should be able to get them fixed within the warranty period. If I am buying a used RV I consider buying an ESP for that first year.

When I do so (and I did with our last RV purchase) I go with the Good Sam policy since it is generally accepted by most repair shops where I live and I have not had too many problems with getting authorization for repairs. In fact the last RV I bought (used) has been in the shop repeatedly getting a lot of stuff fixed and Good Sam has not turned down any repair charges.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:31 AM   #9
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37

Wholesale Warranties

I used Wholesale Warranties about 18 months ago. They sold me a plan from Extented Elite. Paid a little over $4,000.00 for 2 years of complete coverage on our 2012 Itasca Suncruiser. Extended Elite is a horrible company. I have had 2 claims and they paid maybe 1/4 of the cost of each repair. And that was after fighting with them until I just gave up. Horrible company. I will never buy another warranty. I suggest using that money to start your own repair account.
Armydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:28 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armydave View Post
Paid a little over $4,000.00 for 2 years of complete coverage on our 2012 Itasca Suncruiser.
At that price I don't think they did you any favors at all. Wholesale Warranties quoted me $3600 for 4 years when I bought my RV back in 2017. I doubt that prices for these gone up that much????

My RV will be 6 years old in July. I have 46,000 miles on it. I would guess that total qualifying repairs have been under $2700 in those 5 1/2 years. I doubt total repairs and service has amounted to much over $4,000.

That said, I know all RVs are different and I've probably just been lucky.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:32 AM   #11
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37

warranty

We purchased our Suncruiser from an older couple about 18 months ago. Only had 3,500 miles on it. It had set for quite a long time. So we had some front brake issues, and recently had to replace the front rooftop ac/heat pump unit. So yes, spent just over the $4,000 on repairs. Extended Elite warranty paid about $1000 of that. Would have been much better off just putting the money spent on the warranty into a fund. But I also agree that after a year of use you should have the bugs worked out. If you do the required maintenance, that most certainly helps too.
Armydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I found wholesale warranty, Viking protection Plan, prices to be between $2,000 and $4,000 above three other companies. They also covered less miles than the other three.
fyreplug is offline   Reply With Quote