Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Extended Warranty

Portfolio warranty company - any pro's and or con's as to whether or not this is a good warranty company.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I dont believe in a non-OEM warranty. Just my opinion.

If it needs to be fixed, fix it. Don't waste money paying every month for something that isn't broken. Because when something DOES break, they always have some reason not to cover it. Been down that road.

Spend that money of good maintenance or save it for repairs.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I've never heard of that company. Have you searched the internet for information? The first place to check is the BBB, although it is voluntary, joining (a company must pay to be listed) may indicate their reputation and reliability. Also, check with their home-state insurance commissioner for complaints.

We bought an extended service contract with our MH (see sig), in April 2013. To date the contract has paid-out just over $4,000 in claims on our MH, we are out of pocket about $500 in non-covered and deductibles. Since the contract cost $4,800 for 3 years, and we still have 15 months remaining on the contract, we are positive we made the right choice.
Remember, you are buying insurance, and these companies must meet the same state requirements as any other insurance company.
One of our members just had a total engine failure, rebuild estimates were over, $15,000. I know I don't save that kind of money for repairs, so the contract makes sense to me.
We know insurance companies trade client information. I just got an invitation in the mail from WholesaleWarranties.com to purchase a 5 year service contract on our MH. That leads me to believe our MH will be a good risk for them.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Have to wholeheartedly agree with Ray. Our EW just paid out three grand on an issue. To date were way ahead and extremely fortunate having made the decision to purchase coverage post warranty period. Their are some horror stories posted on this forum directed at scam companies or ones much like health insurance of years past that refuse payment on pre existing conditions, beware. However, the vast majority are positive related. Sorry I've not heard of your insurer but it really pays to practice due diligence in your selection process. Best wishes in your search.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Call Wholesalewarranties.com and get a quote or information. They really are nice guys and will talk with you without pressure. JMHO
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I bought an extended warranty from our dealership that sold us the MH. So far we have gained on decuctibles and payouts from the warranty company. $600 for a a/c dash compressor, $1100 for a jack replacement, $2000 for basement air replacement.

Quality of the warranty company will determine the quality of payouts. Word of mouth among RVers can be vital to getting a good and fair company.

Phil
Old 12-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Call Wholesalewarranties.com and get a quote or information. They really are nice guys and will talk with you without pressure. JMHO
I have a Portfolio Warranty that I got through Wholesale Warranties. I have not used it yet.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

we have them from wholesale warranty. They have paid substantially and only need a little fussing sometimes but they ante up. So far we are ahead by over $2000. 3 more years to go The doom sayers will poopoo anything but we have certainly saved a bundle on repairs.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Wholesale Warranties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
we have them from wholesale warranty. They have paid substantially and only need a little fussing sometimes but they ante up. So far we are ahead by over $2000. 3 more years to go The doom sayers will poopoo anything but we have certainly saved a bundle on repairs.
It appears a large number of forum members have gone through the brockerage of WW. We have two years left on our EW that has been just so so. I'd give it a C+. Those who have Extraride,(sp) seem very pleased I'd like to hear more from those individuals regarding ease of service. Thanks.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote