Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

"expired" licenses

The State's motor vehicle offices are closed here in Arizona and the state has extended the expiration date on driver's licenses by 6 months for those whose license expires within a specific time period, and that includes my license. So I know that if I get stopped by some Arizona highway patrol officer and they look at my license after its expiration date they will know that it is not really expired. However I am not so sure about being out of state.

I assume this same issue exists almost everywhere in the US but I am not sure and I do have some concerns about being stopped out of state. Has anyone been in this position? That is, stopped with a license that appears to be out of date due to the expiration date, but that is valid because of an automatic extension due to COVID-19? Do out of state troopers and police know about this? Will a printout of the state web page convince them? Or is it hit and miss? Is it something to be worried about? Or am I worried about nothing?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would assume a printout from your state's DOL would work. You could also try to find similar information for the states you're travelling to, so the trooper cannot play dumb.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

For anyone reading this from California, I was able to renew my license on line, and they sent me a license good for another 5 years.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
For anyone reading this from California, I was able to renew my license on line, and they sent me a license good for another 5 years.
Washington has had an on-line renewal option for a few years now. Not sure what the limitations are.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I checked an Arizona does not have any online license renewal. The State motor vehicle offices are closed but Arizona does allow for a private company to also do most license work, and they are open.

Normally the private offices are very nice. They are generally almost empty because they charge more (not much, but some) and you can go in and get stuff taken care of in about 15 minutes while the state office may take you an hour or more, but now the private offices are packed because they are the only place to go. When the local one opened at 8 am this morning they already had a line around the building.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Nevada also extended tags and licenses so I am sure you are good in Nevada. Doccumantion of the extension would also help you.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I checked an Arizona does not have any online license renewal. The State motor vehicle offices are closed but Arizona does allow for a private company to also do most license work, and they are open.
The OP's question was for a driver's license, not a vehicle license. In WA the private companies are all vehicle license only, but they all do renew by mail and have for years.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Florida allows renewing a drivers license online too, unless you have an old style that must be renewed in person for the new chip license. Mandatory birth certificate, proof of address with two sources.

I completed this hurdle by making a hard to get appointment by waiting about an hour on the phone. Then got dropped once and had to start again. The lady I talked to tried hard to sluff me off to complete this online. She had no idea about the new "in person" requirement for the new style cards. I could have done this had I the new type.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
The OP's question was for a driver's license, not a vehicle license. In WA the private companies are all vehicle license only, but they all do renew by mail and have for years.
In Arizona the private companies can do pretty much everything, including driving tests. It was pretty surprising to me to find that the state trusted them enough to do almost all motor vehicle work. Still, online license renewal would be nice. I guess that the state wants to make sure that they can test people's eyesight before giving them a renewal.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Here's the link but you have to be under 70 years old to qualify:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver...nline-renewal/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

In CA they mailed a paper extension to me. I am surprised that they didn't do that everywhere.
UFO DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Here's the link but you have to be under 70 years old to qualify:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver...nline-renewal/
This is also an issue for those at the other end of the age spectrum--those needing their first permit or license. Here's how one state has dealt with it.

https://wcti12.com/news/state-news/y...-driving-tests
Old 07-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Letting them get real life driving experience without testing to see if they know how to drive?

It will be interesting to see how that works out.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Same for me. Even waived the written and eye test for five years that I was up for. So yes, California may not have heard of your state’s auto extension, and I think, as was suggested, it would be prudent to carry a copy of your home state’s policy with you when traveling.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

As I mentioned previously, CA drivers over 70 cannot renew their drivers licenses online, however, the grace period has been extended. Personally, I think if you have had a clean driving record for the past 1-2 years, the online age threshold could be extended to an age more vulnerable to impairment issues:

From the 7/14/20 Sacramento Bee:

State DMV gives seniors extension for renewal of driver licenses
BY MATT KRISTOFFERSEN

[email protected]

California seniors with expiring driver licenses can wait to renew them for another year.

The new grace period from the California Department of Motor Vehicles is meant to prevent drivers 70 and older — a population vulnerable to COVID 19 — from visiting a field office during the pandemic.

Now, for those with licenses set to expire between March and December, a visit won’t be needed until that time in 2021.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Arizona, Arizona, Arizona. The original poster is from Arizona!!
He doesn't have any other State's license. Just information on the other States recognizing the extension.

My gosh!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Arizona, Arizona, Arizona. The original poster is from Arizona!!
He doesn't have any other State's license. Just information on the other States recognizing the extension.

My gosh!
We know that, the question was about driving in another state, which led to other comments. We're just posting additional info so others who stumble on this will have complete information. Threads evolve, not unlike a thread that starts about one model MH and evolves to include another.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

The way thing look right now in Arizona, I don't think any other state would want us right now, probably put us you quarantine.We got our renewed in February, so just got in before it but the fan. I would think most states would reciprocate but you never know.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Any licenses expiring after March 13, 2020, in South Dakota are extended to December 30. We can only renew online every other time ... mine expired in June and I renewed online last time ... I wish they would make exceptions this year!
aspengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:06 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
As I mentioned previously, CA drivers over 70 cannot renew their drivers licenses online, however, the grace period has been extended. Personally, I think if you have had a clean driving record for the past 1-2 years, the online age threshold could be extended to an age more vulnerable to impairment issues:

From the 7/14/20 Sacramento Bee:

State DMV gives seniors extension for renewal of driver licenses
BY MATT KRISTOFFERSEN

[email protected]

California seniors with expiring driver licenses can wait to renew them for another year.

The new grace period from the California Department of Motor Vehicles is meant to prevent drivers 70 and older — a population vulnerable to COVID 19 — from visiting a field office during the pandemic.

Now, for those with licenses set to expire between March and December, a visit won’t be needed until that time in 2021.
Quote:
We know that, the question was about driving in another state, which led to other comments. We're just posting additional info so others who stumble on this will have complete information. Threads evolve, not unlike a thread that starts about one model MH and evolves to include another.

I agree to disagree. If anyone is looking for information on another state it should be started with a title that is recognizable for that state. So much easier to look up. However, that is my personal opinion.

Everything in the post previous to the last post pertains to California with not one mention of Arizona. To me, personally, that is off topic. It puts a "spin" on this thread that others are going to reply to specifically and eventually Arizona will be out of the equation.

Thanks for the feedback.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote