Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2005, 06:30 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Anyone have insight into the evolution of floorplans at Winnebago? What is the history and factors that have played into it?

Reason I'm asking is because while we were shopping fo something "small" for our current lifestyle we had falling in love the 40AD floorplan in the Vectra/Horizon. If we had been ready to go fulltime it would have been perfect for us both practically/organization and design/comfort. Our thought was (and still is) if things line up correctly to upgrade in 4-5 years and probably go for a 40AD like floorplan.

Now for '06 I see Winnebago cut back the number of floorplans for the Vectra/Horizon from six to only three and the 40AD is discontinued . The only 40 foot floorplans in both the Vectra/Horizon and Tour/Ellipse is the 40FD and 40KD.

Did Winnie cut back for economic reasons (i.e. no demand, my local dealer sold only four AD's this past year)? Possibly is there a engineering/production hiatus because they raised the roof on the '06's from 6'8" to 7'2" (interior height)?

At some point I can and will go and ask Winnebago directly. I just want to tap the collective, immense knowledge of the group first.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Anyone have insight into the evolution of floorplans at Winnebago? What is the history and factors that have played into it?

Reason I'm asking is because while we were shopping fo something "small" for our current lifestyle we had falling in love the 40AD floorplan in the Vectra/Horizon. If we had been ready to go fulltime it would have been perfect for us both practically/organization and design/comfort. Our thought was (and still is) if things line up correctly to upgrade in 4-5 years and probably go for a 40AD like floorplan.

Now for '06 I see Winnebago cut back the number of floorplans for the Vectra/Horizon from six to only three and the 40AD is discontinued . The only 40 foot floorplans in both the Vectra/Horizon and Tour/Ellipse is the 40FD and 40KD.

Did Winnie cut back for economic reasons (i.e. no demand, my local dealer sold only four AD's this past year)? Possibly is there a engineering/production hiatus because they raised the roof on the '06's from 6'8" to 7'2" (interior height)?

At some point I can and will go and ask Winnebago directly. I just want to tap the collective, immense knowledge of the group first.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:29 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

John, I think you've touched on a very good point. IMO Winnie has dropped the ball on flooplans. When we recognized that 2 slides (shallow front in particular was a problem) were not suitable for us given our changed use, we started looking. Frankly, we like some of Winnie's new features but we really did not see a floorplan that rang our bell like the 40PLQ we now have. If this floorplan or something close to it was available on a Winnie we might well still have one.

Floorplans - see 40PLQ

Frankly, we would have preferred this floorplan in something a little more upscale like their Endeavor. So, if Winnie is awake it will do something like this in a Tour/Ellipse or Vectra/Horizon. We are surprised at the number of positive comments we've had from others on our floorplan.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jon, Vicki,

While we love the 40AD, one of our big issues with the four-slide Horizon/Vectras was the relatively low CCC. Not terrible (~2k), but less than we wanted.

Bingo - Winnie adds to the CCC of the four-slide models by going to a 13,200 Lb (at least I think it is 13,200 or thereabouts) front axle and wallah! We now have an improved CCC. Don't let the three/four slide thing bother you a bit. You are only adding 25% more complexity in the slide stuff. If you like the floorplan, go for it.

It would be a universal truth that product design and engineering is driven to a great extent by product marketing. I'm sure Winnie is no exception - they must produce product that the public will find attractive, appealing, value for the money, and a better competitor to other products at the particular price points. They must design to what they think YOU want to buy. This is my conjecture and I'm sticking to it

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

John, How was the Freightliner visit? I can wait until you update your website.

I am happy that Winnebago has kept the side TV floorplan alive in the FD. If people get used to this feature maybe other manufacturers will follow suit.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sorry about the tardy reply, but it is a long story. We have had major Internet satellite problems and after many phone calls to the various vendors of the equipment over the last three days, we are on-line again! The problem was the satellite! We switched to another one and all is well. We are in a state park in the mountains of western Virginia (Grayson Highlands State Park) with practically no cell coverage. Anyway...

The Freightliner visit went very well. They took us promptly at our appointment time and had us finished when they estimated. You are welcome to watch the techs work and I always like to ask questions of the guy doing the work, which I could do here.

They will be moving into new quarters for the service end of the business and expect to be in the shop 12/2005. I'm going to make a separate post about the new facilities.

Their current RV parking (first come, first served) is only seven spaces with electric and is dirt/gravel parking.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

One of the primary reasons we purchased a 40AD was the TV in the side cabinet at eye level when seated. My neck cannot handle a TV in the front overhead. My wife and I love the 40AD floor plan. Too bad Winnie discontinued it.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The 2006 40FD has the TV down and it is 30".

The TV down is one of the reasons we bought our Suncruiser 38R. Floorplan is similar to the 40AD.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote