Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2006, 04:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Have been considering replaceing the OEM rocker/recliner in the coach with one of those leather Euro types with ottoman. For any of you folks who might have one, do you like it? I know they recline but do they also rock? My wife likes a rocker.

We looked at Ekornes at local retailer. Very nice but very expensive. I see Palliser on Brad and Hall web page for less. Anyone have one of those?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Have been considering replaceing the OEM rocker/recliner in the coach with one of those leather Euro types with ottoman. For any of you folks who might have one, do you like it? I know they recline but do they also rock? My wife likes a rocker.

We looked at Ekornes at local retailer. Very nice but very expensive. I see Palliser on Brad and Hall web page for less. Anyone have one of those?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hello smlranger,

I don't have it yet, but I'm getting it. I have sat in it several times though and know that it is very comfortable. I do not believe it rocks, but I do know it reclines nicely and is comfortable enough to sleep in (I rate most couchs and ez-chairs that way). It is also portable and can be moved in any area around the coach. Make sure you ask if it is "ultra leather" as these recliners are much more comfortable with this instead of regular leather.

Happy Sitting!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We replaced that heavy, awkward recliner with an Ekornes Sressless chair shortly after we bought our Meridian.

Fantastically comfortable, great looking and we're glad we bought it! The knock-offs are "almost the same" but they ain't Stressless!

For example, the Ekornes comes in 3 sizes, the headrest automatically repositions when lounging, and the frame is solid!
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:27 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I met some who went to their local store and bought a great looking euro chair, etc for less money better quality. Why do we feel we have to buy from RV stores? Measure what they have and go get better quality for less!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Ed:

I normally would agree. However, I checked Brad and Hall for a particular Palliser chair..their price is about $700, local retailer was $1,000 for same chair.

Red:

Agree the Ekornes is a great chair. If I was full timing and would be using it more, I'd get one in a heartbeat. The one I liked best was about $1,300. What color leather did you get?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Gary - we have the optional Flexsteel "Euro Recliner" in Ultra Leather. It's okay - doesn't have much lumbar support but I like it and it is fairly compact.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

smlranger wrote:
Red:

Agree the Ekornes is a great chair. If I was full timing and would be using it more, I'd get one in a heartbeat. The one I liked best was about $1,300. What color leather did you get?

We bought the Stessless Ambassador, Color 9313 cream. Though it's real leather, it matches the UltraLeather pilot and co-pilot seats perfectly.

Paid $1196 plus tax. Would I do it again? Yep, only sooner! <G>
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have an Ekornes and a Lane Euro recliner. The Ekornes is by far a nicer chair but also costs ALOT more. The Lane was just under $600 whiles our Ekornes was just under $2000. Both are leather not ultra leather. Neither rock but we can and do often sleep in them. Great chairs. We got the Lane chair at a local furniture store and had to order the Ekornes.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Ekornes web site....WOW!!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

When we were looking at RV's at the time we purchased our DP, every single Euro Chair we sat in was broken. The release cable in every one was defective and wouldn't release to the recline position. For that reason alone we ordered the rocker/recliner. It very comfy!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

The Ekornes chairs are made in Norway (where my wife was born), and she knows them well, and wanted one. But to satisfy my need to know if they were really worth the difference in price, we checked out quite a few others. We bought the Ekornes; the same one that Red T described, and we love it.

An unrelated bit of trivia: Ekornes holds a patent on the chair and ottoman design, even down to the look of a single support on each side of the ottoman, to it's base. Supposedly, no other manufacturer can make a chair that even looks like that!

Several motorhome manufacturers, including Beaver, I was told, buy these chairs from Ekornes, and remove the original leather, and re-upholster them to match the motorhome. Seems a bit of a shame, if that's true.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

For some wierd reason our Horizon came with an actual Ekornes brand chair. I think after the bean counters found out how much they were paying for them they went to the knock off brand. I find the knock offs very uncomfortable, and would have replaced it with an original Ekornes.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We have the "Winnebago" euro ottoman in our coach and Ekornes chairs at home (bad back don't you know). The coach chair is comfortable, but no Ekornes which doesn't have the integral footrest but works in combination with a separate ottoman to do its magic. When reclining, the Ekornes provides increasing lumbar support and the headrest either remains tilted in a position to allow you to watch TV, or lifts and reclines to put you in la-la land. Don't know if the Ekornes with its separate ottoman would be too practical in our coach because of the additional space taken up.

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote