Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Engine heater

I have a Winn Vista, 35F, with Ford V10 motor. Twice late fall /early winter on trips back from the Winnebago factory repair facility the engine heater’s blower stopped. Both times I turned system off for awhile and just as I was preparing to start generator and coach furnace the blower restarted.

I have it in shop now but it’s warmer and they are unable to replicate the issue.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar issue.

Bruce
Gentracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Believe it or not. Check your coolant level. On a 2011 Vista we used to have, the heater stopped on a trip. The shop that we use (they are verrrry good btw) fixed t. When the coolant level is low, the engine will s
“Starve” or bypass the heater core and only take care of the engine. Hope this helps.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The coolant check is sure to be a start and it might be worthwhile to do that before starting a trip, so they should not charge much to solve that! could be a number of other things as well, as there are valves and controls that might also need attention.
But your post also brings up a small point we might question.
Most Rv furnace work off the coach battery system (12VDC) and that lets us use the furnace and any of the other 12v items without worry while driving as the engine alternator is way big (50+ amps?) so that it can power any stuff we run as well as put some charge back into the coach batteries if they have been run down.
This does require some small parts that are built into the rv to be working but normally there is a solenoid which automatically connects the start and coach batteries together when the engine is running.
We do often hear that we need to run the generator when using the furnace when parked but that is different. The furnace does pull a fair amount of power out of the coach battery when not connected to shore power or getting power from the genset or engine, so it can run the battery down pretty quick if not getting help.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, heat, heater