Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

When I lost the pump motor for the slides, I had to revert to the retraction procedure in the owners manual. The rig is a'02 Journey DL. The book says to open the needle valves under the coach, then use the winch to slowly crank in the front slide. On our unit the anchor point for the winch is the heater plenum. I had to remove the floor register. The anchor point was about 45 degrees off center with the anchor strap under the sofa. Therefore the slide would not go in straight. Winnebago resolved the problem by having the dealer cut a new hole for another register in case this were ever to happen again. Our rig was custom designed to accomodate a wheelchair, and that may be why the register was not where it was supposed to be.

I would really like to know if any other owners do not have the register alighned with the strap. If you have never tried the procedure, you might want to give it a try. It is not an easy task. The book says the rear slide has no retraction procedure. I must call a service truck. How does that make sense? Even if I can get the front slide in, it is tough traveling with the rear slide out.

DL

Lakewood, Colorado
SkipperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

When I lost the pump motor for the slides, I had to revert to the retraction procedure in the owners manual. The rig is a'02 Journey DL. The book says to open the needle valves under the coach, then use the winch to slowly crank in the front slide. On our unit the anchor point for the winch is the heater plenum. I had to remove the floor register. The anchor point was about 45 degrees off center with the anchor strap under the sofa. Therefore the slide would not go in straight. Winnebago resolved the problem by having the dealer cut a new hole for another register in case this were ever to happen again. Our rig was custom designed to accomodate a wheelchair, and that may be why the register was not where it was supposed to be.

I would really like to know if any other owners do not have the register alighned with the strap. If you have never tried the procedure, you might want to give it a try. It is not an easy task. The book says the rear slide has no retraction procedure. I must call a service truck. How does that make sense? Even if I can get the front slide in, it is tough traveling with the rear slide out.

DL

Lakewood, Colorado
Old 02-12-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi DL,

We've also got a 02 DL, but I'm pretty sure the register is in line with the strap. At least it's pretty darn close. I havn't practiced pulling mine in yet with the strap, but you make a good point about practicing.

I know what you mean about the rear slide, since it doesn't have a winch in provision. They do suggest calling a service truck, but if I ever needed to, I'd push in the slide. Since it isn't a flush floor slide in back, it doesn't need to rise before coming in like the super slide. Round up a couple camping neighbors, and the slide could slowly be pushed in after the hydraulics are released.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Don't know how much it would help, but I'd thought I would dump the airbags and raise the driver's side as much as possible with the jacks. Might make it a little bit "downhill" and easier to push in slowly.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Great suggestion, Tom, but I wonder if the slide-out pump is the same as the jack pump???

One '04 Journey 34' w/350 CAT
Barney B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

On my '02 Journey, and I bet on most, the same pump runs the jacks and the slides. They are all part of the same system. I really doubt you could move a heavy slide in by simply by raising the side of the coach.

Lakewood, Colorado
Old 02-13-2005, 01:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yep, you're both right - it is the same pump. I was thinking of the times when the pump will run, but you can't activate the retract solenoid for the slider.

I've recently been through a bunch of HWH problems, first because the control board failed and then because the dummies that replaced it managed to leave plugs loose, mounting of the control box loose, and wires pulled out of plugs. It's very easy to create a situation where the pump runs, some things work, and some things don't.

Skipper, you're right, tilting the coach won't move the slide - my idea was that it would make it easier for you and your friends to push it in.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Since the motor seems to be the weak link on my 02 Horizon and it does work the slides and the jacks, I carry a spare motor. They are not that expensive and simple to change. It's a pretty small unit for all that it does. I have not had any problems as of yet, but I have peace of mind if I ever get stuck in the boonies.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote