Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2021, 07:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

electrical issues on 15amp power

Where should i begin looking. Staying at my brothers and tethering my winnebago adventurer with 15 amp plug and only running refrigorator. His house fuse keeps tripping. Any ideas?
jdfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I might guess there are more things running than you may think about and it may also be combined with the breaker in the house being a bit weak, but that is not where I would start.
When you shut things off, what about the converter which charges the coach batteries? What size and length of cord is used to connect to the house? A long or thin cord can cause problems.
If one is in reach, trying a different 15 amp circuit in the house is one way to decide if that breaker may be weak? Choosing a different circuit in the house if there is one with a 20 amp may get you by also. Depending on the house, there may be one in the garage on a 20 as built to handle power tools?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Older homes will have 20 amps in the kitchen & dining room (2 dedicated circuits min) and laundry (1 circuit), that's about all that was required (with few exceptions) till the mid 90's when the bathroom outlets were added to the 20 amp dedicated circuit rules. As of the 2017 code the 20 amp requirement was added to garages, 1 20 amp outlet for each parking space (can share same circuit) (this was added for electric cars but IMHO it is too little too late). If there is a built in microwave it will be on a dedicated 20 if it was installed per code, many times thay are added later to the hood/lighting circuit which is 15 amps. The majority of homes are wired to code minimum unless being built for a buyer who knows enough what to ask for.

With that said, if you can't reach a 20 amp, what Richard said. The converter can be a big draw plus what else is running in the house on that same circuit?
Old 09-24-2021, 08:25 AM   #4
Site Team

Possible large draws behind the scenes could be your batteries being charged by the Converter (or Inverter/Charger) or the water heater on AC without realizing it.

Also if you’re running a long, thin extension cord that could also play a role in the issue.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

When the house breaker trips, what else in his house is shutting down? Can those things be moved or turned off, or can you access a different circuit? You want a circuit that nothing else (or at least very little) in the house is using.
cshodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Is the breaker in the house a GFI? Some home GFI breakers do not play well when a motor home that has its own GFI breakers is plugged in.

The refrigerator in my Adventurer is on the same breaker as the converter/charger so if your batteries are requiring a charge then yes that along with the refrigerator running on electric can trip a 15 amp house circuit.

What happens if you turn the refrigerator to gas operation? Does it still trip even when you turn the refrigerator off? What does the One Place Panel show as the amperage draw just before the breaker trips?

Tags
electrical, power