Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dry Weight of RV

Where can I find the DRY weight of my RV as it comes from the factory? I weighted it a few weeks ago on a CAT scale and showed 17,220. My GVW is 17,000 lbs. 6120 in front 12100 in rear. I had a fuull tank of gas,75 gals. and a full water tank 70 gals.I didn't think i was overloaded, could the scale be wrong.It was me (200lbs. and dog 70 lbs. in RV)on the scale.I checked the Winnie site for specs, nothing on dry weight.Any body have an idea where I can find out. Thanks

PS: I forget what does water weight a gallon?
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Water weights 8.33#/gallon.

When we had the 31' Minnie Winnie, we never carried more than about 1/4 tank of fresh water and empty waste tanks. Even with these limits, we were only 100# below the GVWR when loaded for a 2 week trip.

Sounds like you need to go on a diet and see what you really have to have to travel.

Ken
Old 05-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
CD
Winnebago Watcher

You would be better informed if you unloaded your RV and weighed it. The dry weight and the actual unloaded weights are usually quite different. You won't need to drain the water or gas. If they are full you can figure that and you know what you and the dog weighs. Quite often there are things like awnings and AC etc that are added after the dry weight is noted.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

As a rule of thumb
Water weighs 8 # per gallon

Gasoline weighs 6 # per gallon

LP weighs 4 # per gallon.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Who cares what the dry weight is. The fact is you can not be over your gross.

If you think the scale is wrong then you should go to another. I would presume the CAT scale is accurate.

If you are over then you will need to go through your belongings and see what can get placed aside. Like above posters have stated, maybe travel with less water ?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It's very easy to go over the maximum weight limit for the coach especially when fulltiming. We are fairly close to the limit now with a full tank of water and fuel so we have some wiggle room, but we now have a rule we strictly follow, nothing new is brought into the coach unless something else of equal weight is removed. It's surprising the different perspective it gives you when considering a new purchase of something you think you may need.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Nothing like having your motorhome weighed as a wake-up call. Can be rather surprising just how much weight we're hauling around.

My problem is when I look at everything in my motorhome, it's always 'well, we might need that' so I never really get rid of anything. (But I've taken multiple weights and I'm not over or even near maximum capacity at any corner or axle, or gross.) -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We leave for five months in the winter and return. Weight is a constant niggling pest needing attention.

MY new and only coach 03 Dolphin LX factory weighed at about 18,400 (I don't have it right here to look). My first weigh soon after purchase (I have all my slips), unloaded, full fuel, full propane, no water was 19,880--to my surprise. @22000 GVWR I can take on a ton if I choose, as much as that sounds like a lot, it adds up quickly. My problem is my rear axle--I'm rated 8000 front leaving me 1400 pounds room and 14, 500 rear leaving me 1200 pounds room---invariably I wind up a little heavy in the rear---but it is really difficult to get weight forward because the basement stops well short of the front axel. I move stuff to the toad. Our bedroom hangs far over the rear axel and clothing weighs more than you think etc; if we have water or waste it adds up very fast.

After not weighing for a few years ( I thought I had it down and was keeping track) I pulled into a closed weigh station in Oregon on our way home after five months of living and weighed------whoa nellie!! We are in the process of going through everything now---yes, stays---no goes.

This year we weigh before we go.

Honestly, when I was shopping for our rig the weight was a big factor for me----some new rigs had but 900 pounds between manufatured weight and Gross---I do not know how people do it and shame on any manufacturer that would build one that way. I suspect many are overloaded.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Cargo carrying capacity is particularly problematic with Class C's when equipped with a slide. Our 29' Minnie has a CCC of ~1900# without a slide. A typical slide adds 600-700# leaving a CCC of as little as 1200#. I have also seen Class A's with similar CCC's. The carrying capacity of your unit should be posted on the weights sheet that is usually found in the rear closet in Winnebagos. Be aware that in 2010(?) they stopped listing the CCC in favor of a new number that's usually on a sticker posted on the door frame.
aksteelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

just had mine checked at a CAT scale,5190 front,11680 rear.Sticker says 6000 front,and 12000 rear,I had 70 gals of water,full lp full fuel,clothing for 2 weeks for the dw and I.holding tanks were empty,but fridge was full.
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote