Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Downsizing from diesel to gas—first impressions.

I have been active on this website for several years and have received a lot of excellent information. I became active after purchasing a used 2002 36’ Winnebago Journey in 2006. With information from this group I replaced the tires & shocks and made it the best riding coach I have owned. I appreciate the help I received and wanted to share my latest experience.

I recently purchased my 6th motorhome. After 3 diesels I have gone back to gas, a new 2009 Winnebago/Itasca Sunstar 30B on a Ford chassis. The reason for the change came from wanting to access more parks, make it easier for the wife to drive and to lower maintenance costs. Another reason I don’t like to admit, is that age and health thing, but we won’t go there!

We recently took our first trip from Denver to Yellowstone with the Sunstar and have the following observations. For those people who say they would never go back to gas after going to diesel or those who don’t see any reason to go to diesel, I say you are right! I think it is whatever works for you. The important thing is that you get out on the road, have fun and meet new people!!

I was impressed with the newer Ford chassis and felt that it had a much better ride than the Chevy chassis’ I had back in ‘93 and ’94. The Ford V10 is quieter and seems to have plenty of power even when pulling our Honda CRV. I was very pleased with the overall ride and performance. I am still fooling around with tire pressure.

The power, ride and quietness of the diesel are offset by the new gas chassis’ lower initial cost and lower overall operating costs. There have also been significant improvements in carrying capacities and the handling and power.

There will definitely be things that we will miss in the Journey but, we feel that we made the right decision to stay with a Winnebago product and downsize to a coach that seems to fit our current situation. As we have done for several years, we are planning to winter in this coach and are pleased with all the storage. I did weigh the coach with all our stuff on board and it is still under maximum carrying capacity.

Well, that’s it—we like the new Sunstar and hope to put many miles on it. Happy trails and have a great summer!

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Congratulations and enjoy your new motorhome. Don't forget to check the Ford Super Duty Owners Forum every so once in a while. There's a good bunch of guys over there. Drop in and say hello!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks DriVer--I have checked out the Ford site and will keep doing so. Take care, John
Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I appreciate the post. As someone that is constantly tempted to go the other way -- from a 30' gasser to a 36' diesel (and the 36' Journey would actually be right at the top of my list) -- what are some of those reasons you alluded to? (i.e., how often did you have issues with length, maintenance, anything that made the diesel more work)

Thanks!

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Anything handles and rides better than the Old Chevy P chassis. I had 3 of them in the past.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Steve--I sent you a PM. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'm confused as to the "age and health thing" as I too am getting up there in age and health continues to deteriorate. I know you said you don't want to go there but I don't understand what that has to do with having a gas or diesel coach.

It seems as I get older my desire to drive a pusher is even greater. But now that I'm by myself, I'm thinking of going to a gas class B van.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Scirocco22--

The “age and health thing” were not the only determining factors. In our situation I just felt that the larger motor home was getting a little more than I wanted to handle.

Now talk about a change---from a 34’ diesel to a class B gas! Hey, I see a lot of people doing it.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.

John
Old 07-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We went from a 35' class A gas to a 29' class C gas. Working well for us. Little less storage space. But get around better and the ride is better.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote