Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We really like our Meridian 36G -- except for the carpet in the living room! Since we are fulltiming, this area gets lots of traffic and even with my own carpet cleaner, I can't keep up with it. Thus, either the carpet or the coach will go.

I wondered if anyone has had Winnebago replace the carpet with laminate, vinyl (or anything?)? If so, how did it go? About how much would we expect to pay? I would take a shot at doing this myself, but since we are living in the coach, this presents some issues.

Thanks in advance for your information.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We really like our Meridian 36G -- except for the carpet in the living room! Since we are fulltiming, this area gets lots of traffic and even with my own carpet cleaner, I can't keep up with it. Thus, either the carpet or the coach will go.

I wondered if anyone has had Winnebago replace the carpet with laminate, vinyl (or anything?)? If so, how did it go? About how much would we expect to pay? I would take a shot at doing this myself, but since we are living in the coach, this presents some issues.

Thanks in advance for your information.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We had Winnibago replace some carpet with ceramic tile in our Vectra. They did a great job for us. The price will depend on the amount and style of tile.

I replaced some carpet in our Journey myself, (we were living in it also) here is the link I posted when I did it. adding tile

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I can't speak for your coach in particular but when we went through the factory tour last spring, I believe they were putting vinyl down over the entire floor of the coaches during that production run. They then put carpeting down over it in the areas specified for carpet. You may have vinyl under your carpet and just have to remove it to get the flooring you want. Check it out, you have nothing to loose.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Factory service will change out your flooring - whether or not you want them to upgrade your floor depends on how large your budget is for the project.

We had some extra tile added a couple of years ago at the factory and the cost was (hold your breath) about $80 a tile.

My guess is carpet to vinyl would be considerably less expensive. Give service a call tomorrow and as them to quote the job.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

As John says "the factory will change it out" for you. I paid the same as John; $80 each for tile. we had ten added. Didn't expect that much but now the pain is over and we do enjoy the mod.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I hope this isn't too far but, is replacing stock carpet with tile something that local tile installers can handle or is this just too risky?

I'd sure like to replace the stock carpet in our Ellipse with tile and am trying to figure out what my options are.... besides paying $80 per tile.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Do you have any tile in the coach now? I am sure that vinyl tile would be cheaper than ceramic.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 01-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

We currently have carpet throughout the coach except for the kitchen and bath areas which are vinyl. I'd like to replace everything on the main floor (not the slides) with ceramic tile and leave the carpet on the slide sections.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We currently have carpet throughout the coach except for the kitchen and bath areas which are vinyl. I'd like to replace everything on the main floor (not the slides) with ceramic tile and leave the carpet on the slide sections.
I found this thread doing a search to seek the experiences of others who had removed living area carpet (not on the slides) and extended the tile with matching materials. It looks like that the factory can do this at a ($$$) cost. Our coach is a Horizon 40TD (front kitchen model so we would be putting down matching tiles from the galley through the dining table and seating area to the bathroom wall.

It has been over a year since this thread was posted -- have others done this?

We are going early to the GNR and may contact the service center to see if they could do for us at the factory. Your comments are welcomed.

-CoolJudy
'07 Itasca Horizon 40TD
CoolJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolJudy View Post
I found this thread doing a search to seek the experiences of others who had removed living area carpet (not on the slides) and extended the tile with matching materials. It looks like that the factory can do this at a ($$$) cost. Our coach is a Horizon 40TD (front kitchen model so we would be putting down matching tiles from the galley through the dining table and seating area to the bathroom wall.

It has been over a year since this thread was posted -- have others done this?

We are going early to the GNR and may contact the service center to see if they could do for us at the factory. Your comments are welcomed.

-CoolJudy
'07 Itasca Horizon 40TD
Judy we had the some thing similar done on our Vectra TD. We had them continue the tile from the kitchen to the restroom. They did it at the factory while we were getting some repairs.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 05-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #12

Thank you for the photo! Exactly what we want to do. How far in advance did you need to request the work? Are all the tiles in '07 the same or would they need to see the coach before ordering the tiles? Would you mind sharing the cost? You can email me off the board at: coolrvers [at] gmail.com.
CoolJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

You are welcome. If you want to get some work done before GNR, make a reservation now. When you make the reservation they will ask you your vin # and they will know what tile you have. Winnebago comped us the tile install, because of some issues we had with the coach, as a good company would. We were very appreciative. I think the prices stated in the posts above this are fairly accurate.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 05-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We have an 04 Journey 39k (two slides in front and one in the rear). Last fall we had the carpet replaced with vinyl tile that matched the rest of the tile in the coach. On the drivers side the slide is a flat floor one and the carpet covers the slide and about 24" on the main floor. The passenger side slide is an above floor one and the carpet is on the slide and about 3" on the main floor. The carpet from the front door area was also removed leaving carpet only under the passenger seat and in the pilot area. The cost was about $2500 but we did have other things done also. I believe the floor cost was $2200. Really not sure though.

We moved out of the coach into a hotel room and since we have Euro loungers instead of couches we also removed them along with anything that could possibly get in their way as they worked (didn't want to pay for them to move furniture etc). We dropped the coach the day before the appointment so they could start whenever. I think they moved the coach into the bay the afternoon before our appointment and got started ripping out the mangy carpet. We got the coach back 2 1/2 days later right around 2pm.

In the summer during GNR they posted a sale over at the service center for carpet removal and tile installation. I think it was 10 tiles for $1200 but we ended up with over 30 tiles so a higher cost. They did NOT change out the slide shoes since the slides are still sliding over carpet.

When we checked on total carpet removal in the front our dealer in New Mexico quoted a price of $5000 and 7 days OUT of the coach. That would have still left carpet on the slides.

I believe the tiles are about $10 apiece. We did buy a few extra "just in case". We are fulltimers and the tiles are doing great. I love being able to sweep rather than have to vaccum all the time. Now I vaccum about twice a month and sweep every other day. I also wax the tiles with Mop and Glo cause I like how they look. NO they aren't slippery.

We consider it money well spent.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have to assume you found the other thread on this: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/floo...ade-51818.html

I have about $150 in my whole project. Tile will obviously run more, but gee, the prices you guys are throwing around are ridiculous. Guess I should get into the flooring biz.

Tile install should run about $5/tile plus material. Especially if you're not going under the slides.

My sis was asking me about this for their Tour.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:55 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I agree this is alot of money that we spent but in our case we aren't/weren't able to do it ourselves plus the fear of the flat floor and how to attack that. Blessings to all you handy people out there but for us the factory did a super job. I guess in our favor would be IF there is a problem then we can fall back on the factory for help.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote