Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

So far, my experience has been that Winnie and my Dealer are really looking out for me and my new coach. We pick her up in just 2 weeks now, and it has been out of production since last Friday. Winnie has been doing their PDI for several days now, caught a tear in one of the slide seals and are now re-buffing out the paint because they noticed some overspray next to the front entry door. I only know this because my dealer (Lichtsinn) is on there front door step practically everyday so he fills me in on all the details. Lichtsinn will do their own PDI when Winnie is done I'm told. I'm sure the non-ordered coaches (those just to stock dealer inventory) go through a PDI as well, but when they know you are flying to pickup an ordered coach, do you think you get a "Better" PDI done? If so, wouldn't that predicate EVERYONE out there who is spending a subtantial amount of money to take "Factory" delivery?

Just food for thought, gotta get this forum going again, seems a little bit lagging as of late..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

So far, my experience has been that Winnie and my Dealer are really looking out for me and my new coach. We pick her up in just 2 weeks now, and it has been out of production since last Friday. Winnie has been doing their PDI for several days now, caught a tear in one of the slide seals and are now re-buffing out the paint because they noticed some overspray next to the front entry door. I only know this because my dealer (Lichtsinn) is on there front door step practically everyday so he fills me in on all the details. Lichtsinn will do their own PDI when Winnie is done I'm told. I'm sure the non-ordered coaches (those just to stock dealer inventory) go through a PDI as well, but when they know you are flying to pickup an ordered coach, do you think you get a "Better" PDI done? If so, wouldn't that predicate EVERYONE out there who is spending a subtantial amount of money to take "Factory" delivery?

Just food for thought, gotta get this forum going again, seems a little bit lagging as of late..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Tracey,
I wholeheartedly agree that your dealer's communication skills are leaps and bounds above what my dealer was doing for me. If it weren't for this forum and the fact that a Winnebago rep was reading it,I would have had to wait until after the holiday break for my coach. As far as the "inspection" at the factory,my coach failed as a result of the tranny cooler,so I do think the "process" works.
Technically,aren't you picking up your coach at Lichtsinn,(your dealer) and NOT at the factory?
Your dealer does happen to be in Forest City,which I agree is a plus,but I wasn't "aware" that Winnebago did "true" factory deliveries?
Having communicated with you since the delivery of mine and the impending delivery of yours,I can assure you that you received better treatment from your dealer,than I did from mine.
Things I found on my PDI,such as a scratch on the rear cap,doors misaligned,keyless entry inoperative,etc.,were met with "we'll fix them when you bring it back".
While that's not a big deal to me,as I am not camping until April,the unit was winterized and I wasn't able to check the water heater,or even the water system.
Curious to know what Lichtsinn's policy is as far as that too....

Now....having said all that,I do truly believe that my dealer will stand behind ANY AND ALL repairs that need to be made,I can say that from past experience.
All I am saying is that "my" experience with my delivery isn't as I've read other dealers do it.
I live fifteen minutes from my dealer,so "staying overnight" at the dealer doesn't really feel necessary to me...

(Let's get this forum rolling....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Tracey,
I wholeheartedly agree that your dealer's communication skills are leaps and bounds above what my dealer was doing for me. If it weren't for this forum and the fact that a Winnebago rep was reading it,I would have had to wait until after the holiday break for my coach. As far as the "inspection" at the factory,my coach failed as a result of the tranny cooler,so I do think the "process" works.
Technically,aren't you picking up your coach at Lichtsinn,(your dealer) and NOT at the factory?
Your dealer does happen to be in Forest City,which I agree is a plus,but I wasn't "aware" that Winnebago did "true" factory deliveries?

(HEY BOB: JUST ANSWERING THIS SECTION AS A "YES" I DO BELIEVE YOU CAN GET A FACTORY DELIVERY IF YOU REQUEST IT. I DON'T HAVE AN EXPERIENCE WITH THIS AS I AM PICKING UP THE RIG FROM LICHSINN, BUT I HAVEN'T READ ANYWHERE THAT YOU CAN'T AND WHEN I TRIED THE SAME DEAL AT LA MESA RV, THEY TOLD ME THEY "COULD" ARRANGE A FACTORY PICK UP. I'LL ASK THE QUESTION AND REPORT BACK WHEN I TAKE THE TOUR)

Having communicated with you since the delivery of mine and the impending delivery of yours,I can assure you that you received better treatment from your dealer,than I did from mine.
Things I found on my PDI,such as a scratch on the rear cap,doors misaligned,keyless entry inoperative,etc.,were met with "we'll fix them when you bring it back".
While that's not a big deal to me,as I am not camping until April,the unit was winterized and I wasn't able to check the water heater,or even the water system.
Curious to know what Lichtsinn's policy is as far as that too....

(I WAS ALREADY ASKED WHETHER OR NOT I WANTED THE RIG WINTERIZED UPON ARRIVAL. HE SAID HE WOULD "PLAY IT BY EAR OR RATHER WEATHER" WHETHER HE WILL PLACE THE COACH INTO A WINTERIZATION MODE. HE ALSO SAID THAT HE WOULD "RE-WINTERIZE" AFTER MY FULL PDI SATISFACTION SO WE COULD TRY OUT EVERYTHING BEFORE WE TOOK DELIVERY. HE ALSO SAID PART OF HIS PDI IS TO TEST ALL THE WATER AND TANK SYSTEMS AS I ALREADY SENT HIM MY PDI LIST MAKING HIM "AWARE" THAT THESE ARE THE THINGS WE WILL BE LOOKING AT.)

Now....having said all that,I do truly believe that my dealer will stand behind ANY AND ALL repairs that need to be made,I can say that from past experience.
All I am saying is that "my" experience with my delivery isn't as I've read other dealers do it.
I live fifteen minutes from my dealer,so "staying overnight" at the dealer doesn't really feel necessary to me...

(Let's get this forum rolling.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought this would be a good topic for everyone to comment on with their delivery experiences and if people were offered a choice again, what would they do. I have read many posts saying the BEST possible scenario for purchasing a new MH is to:

A.) Take Factory Delivery, Don't let someone unknown to you drive her home. This is true of every manufacturer.
B.) Order versus buy off the lot. The "Have it your Way" Burger King Theory.
C.) Always attain at least a 25% discount from MSRP.
D.) Never hand over the cash before your own inspection including a test drive. Need to be 100% satisfied leaving the dealer.
E.) Don't be embarassed to ask alot of questions especially about systems you aren't familiar with.

etc.

I can't remember all of them, but you get the picture. Even if you use a local dealer like you did, get a factory delivery, go there, work out the bugs at the factory, then drive her home. This is great in theory, but how does the money exchange hands if your thousands of miles away? I haven't figured that out yet, but at least in my case, the dealer is right down the street

Anyhow friend, maybe we'll get some other posters that would share their experiences.!!

Thanks for the reply

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-10-2006, 04:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If so, wouldn't that predicate EVERYONE out there who is spending a subtantial amount of money to take "Factory" delivery? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Winnebago does not do factory deliveries.

Lichtsinn, in Forest City, does not receive better quality coaches than any other dealer.

In my opinion taking delivery a thousand miles from the factory eliminates or brings to light some bugs that a Lichtsinn delivery will not.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Interesting subject.

A few weeks ago I WAS dealing with my local Winnie dealer trying to put together a package on a forty foot AD. During our conversation I mentioned I would like to pick my coach up direct from the factory. His response was.... no can do buckoooo. Thought this a bit strange but pressed on.

Thinking about his comment I decided to write the factory and get their input. The following is their reply:

Don, thanks for your email regarding a customer pick up. Dealers are
discouraged from doing factory pickups with customers because we are not set
up at the factory to do them. You will actually end up paying more (around
$1,000) to do so. If there is no other choice and the extra cost isn't an
issue, we can work it out with your dealer to do so. Thanks for your
interest.

Brandon Dyvig
Winnebago Industries
grumpygrampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Alright, finally getting some replies!!. Sounds like Winnie won't do it, but if they are "compensated" they may. I've heard of "other" manufacturers allowing this. The question is would a buyer do well to receive a factory delivery in general? Would it eliminate more problems on the spot or is that a non-issue?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> A few weeks ago I WAS dealing with my local Winnie dealer trying to put together a package on a forty foot AD. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A new 40AD??? Winnebago dicontinued the 40AD after the 2005 model run. There is no 40AD for 2006.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by grumpygrampy:
A few weeks ago I WAS dealing with my local Winnie dealer trying to put together a package on a forty foot AD. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brandon, Tom is right....If you're looking at a new 40 footer it's either an FD like Tracey's or a KD like mine....The AD has gone bye bye for 2006.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

OK...OK...... call it an "AD, "FD" or "KD", the model with the side TV. I stand corrected!!!
grumpygrampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

That was pretty funny..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

You go grumpygrampy,, it don't make no difference just so its got the side TV.

My take on this is that Lichtsinn being close to the factory,having a great relationship with Winnie,staying on top of the order, having things corrected as they go and selling many coaches over the years could offer better quality control than most dealers.
However I like my local dealer and he has taken care of all my problems. That said I like Lichtsinn for parts treated me far better than Winnebago Parts did. Safe miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:01 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

From talking to Tracey,it sure seems he "knew" a lot more about his coach than I did,as the process went along....
I'm sad to say that,at least in my "opinion", it was more because my dealer did not or chose not,to make the calls to the factory.
I was told by Winnebago that,if I had the serial number and called myself,they could tell me where the coach was and what was happening to it.....Tracey got these periodic calls from "his" dealer,such as "they're doing this today" or,"there was a problem with this".
Me thinks my dealer figured that the coach would be there when it got there.
Maybe that's good enough for most people?
I guess you could say that the coach is ready "when" it's ready and not a day before?

Old 02-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I thought the dealer may have been trying to pass an '05 for an '06.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I was told by Winnebago that,if I had the serial number and called myself,they could tell me where the coach was and what was happening to it.....Tracey got these periodic calls from "his" dealer,such as "they're doing this today" or,"there was a problem with this".
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only thing I wanted from my dealer was a great price. I got the coach number from Winnebago and then keep in contact with them directly. Haven't returned to the dealer since picking up the coach. I get service where it is convienient for me when traveling in the coach.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

Tom,while the "get service where I am at the time" works for a lot of folks,until this summer anyway most of our travels have been short to medium distanced "out and back" type travels,where I could usually "band-aid" the issue until I got back to my dealer....As my daughter is now older and more acclimated to traveling further,we'll undoubtedly incur some of those "fix it where I am now" experiences ourselves...
Lots of little trips too,but we leave mid June and are gone for almost three weeks,then back home for two weeks and gone another three weeks....Hope I can keep the buggy going!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I've used Lichtsinn for parts and they are great. What made you go with them as opposed to La Mesa?

Nick
Old 02-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I think the key here is Lichtsinn. Most dealers could take a lesson from them and learn a few things about sales and service. Of course Lichtsinn's location doesn't hurt either.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by traveler of california:
I've used Lichtsinn for parts and they are great. What made you go with them as opposed to La Mesa?

Nick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mainly price and then proximity to the MFG. I received a 27% discount, timely e-mails, phone calls, quotes etc. Very Professional. Every Dealer shoudl take a lesson especially La Mesa. High sales pressure, 20% max discount, everything you hate about car dealers in the first place.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 02-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by N8XV:
I think the key here is Lichtsinn. Most dealers could take a lesson from them and learn a few things about sales and service. Of course Lichtsinn's location doesn't hurt either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true, but food for thought would be: Would this apply respectfully with all MFG's? For instance, whoever the closest dealer is to Monaco in Oregon (not sure), would THEY be the ones to deal with for a new Monaco?. If proximity to the MFG IS a bonus, shouldn't everyone deal with the closeest Dealer to their respective MFG?

Personally, I would recommend Lichtsinn to everyone who wished to buy a Winnie/Itasca MH. Bottom Line, great price, great service, and service after the sale.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD