Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
Living The Dream

Our 2006 Winnebago View needs to have the seal between the top of the Sprinter cab and the coach overhead replaced and resealed --- Winnebago has authorized the repair and my dealer has ordered the parts. This is a fairly common fix required on early Views and Navions and is related to a previous Service Campaign (didn't reach official "recall" status). Work was done last year, now typically referred to as the "short" fix, but some of those attempts didn't work and now a more extensive repair - a "long" fix - is necessary.

Anyway, the steel trim piece which is part of the seal has to be removed (requires removal of all the upper bunk area parts and pieces inside the coach) and is replaced with an aluminum trim piece, then all is re-caulked, re-sealed, etc. The short fix took about an hour or so, the long fix takes about eight hours (so I'm told).

My question (finally) -

Should I let my dealer, with whom I have nearly lost all faith as related to the service department, complete the repair . . . or should I arrange to go to the factory instead? If the factory is the answer, how do I go about arranging and scheduling that?

Again, Winnebago has authorized the repair, no expense to me, even though the original one year warranty has expired (thanks, Winnebago, for standing behind your product - you knew of the problem, but didn't let the end of the warranty leave us owners hanging). We're headed to the Kansas City area next month anyway, so a shuffle to Forest City wouldn't be difficult.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
Living The Dream

Our 2006 Winnebago View needs to have the seal between the top of the Sprinter cab and the coach overhead replaced and resealed --- Winnebago has authorized the repair and my dealer has ordered the parts. This is a fairly common fix required on early Views and Navions and is related to a previous Service Campaign (didn't reach official "recall" status). Work was done last year, now typically referred to as the "short" fix, but some of those attempts didn't work and now a more extensive repair - a "long" fix - is necessary.

Anyway, the steel trim piece which is part of the seal has to be removed (requires removal of all the upper bunk area parts and pieces inside the coach) and is replaced with an aluminum trim piece, then all is re-caulked, re-sealed, etc. The short fix took about an hour or so, the long fix takes about eight hours (so I'm told).

My question (finally) -

Should I let my dealer, with whom I have nearly lost all faith as related to the service department, complete the repair . . . or should I arrange to go to the factory instead? If the factory is the answer, how do I go about arranging and scheduling that?

Again, Winnebago has authorized the repair, no expense to me, even though the original one year warranty has expired (thanks, Winnebago, for standing behind your product - you knew of the problem, but didn't let the end of the warranty leave us owners hanging). We're headed to the Kansas City area next month anyway, so a shuffle to Forest City wouldn't be difficult.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeeTheUSA:
--snip--
Should I let my dealer, with whom I have nearly lost all faith as related to the service department, complete the repair . . . or should I arrange to go to the factory instead? If the factory is the answer, how do I go about arranging and scheduling that?--snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Warren - You have answered your own question. If you have no faith in your dealer, find another one or better yet, take the rig to Forest City and let the factory do the job. There are several "sticky" posts at the top of this forum with information - who to call, details about Forest City, etc.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I would suggest the factory and make a vacation out of the trip....

Good luck
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Since you're going to be nearby anyway, I would highly recommend the factory. We were there recently and were treated unbelievably well. My coach is over 3 years old and I did have to pay labor charges on a few things, but they fixed several things as "good will" - one thing was fixed that I hadn't even listed. Very positive experience.

Another way to look at it - this may be the first time your dealer has done this repair and the factory tech will have probably done it many times...

Enjoy the trip!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Oops - missed part of your question... If you decide to go to the factory, call the regular customer service 800 number (sorry, don't have it handy). There is a menu option on that line for service appointments.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I always like going to the factory, in case they forgot a part, it is not a day or two to get it.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I was just at the factory at the end of September. The scheduled appointments are about two months out. If you show up for unscheduled service it takes 2 to 5 days to get in. We got in in two days. You can get a permit from the service department and camp in the Rally Grounds or get a permit from the Visitor Center and camp in front of the Visitor Center. They will fix up to 7 things with an unscheduled appointment.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #9

Unless the local dealer has done this repair a few times (not likely) then my pick is the factory. And if you aren't too happy with the dealer service, this isn't the type of repair that you want to have done twice due to inexerience...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We just left the factory after having a number of small things and one biggie to be repaired. Great experience and like others here mentioned they do alot of stuff for no cost and also fix things you didn't even know were wrong. They're busy but always worked in those with no appointments in a timely manner.

We also had to move out of our rig for a few days while they had it torn apart so be prepared to do that. It makes it easier for them if they don't have to tear things apart every morning to work on them then put it back together so you can sleep in it every afternoon.

Sounds like you would be displaced only one night but ask if that is better for them.

Oh it's also pretty chilly there now so bring warm clothes
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Living The Dream

Thanks to all for the replies . . . I didn't realize it was so easy to arrange for an appointment at the factory. Called this morning and all is arranged - will take the View "back home."
Old 10-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeeTheUSA:
Thanks to all for the replies . . . I didn't realize it was so easy to arrange for an appointment at the factory. Called this morning and all is arranged - will take the View "back home." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Outstanding choice

-&gt; Say hi to Jill at The Lodge for Jane and John
-&gt; Have dinner at the Branding Iron in nearby Thompson

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have a similar problem with my Winnebago Sightseer. My MH has a leak next to the driver's seat. I assumed the water was coming in around the window and so did my dealer. I took my MH into the dealer on October 1st for repairs but so far the dealer hasn't started work. I checked with the dealer last week and they told me that the leak is not coming from around the window. The water is coming in somewhere near the top of the wall. The dealer is talking with Winnebago about the extent of the repairs. The dealer wants to make sure they get the leak stopped and they are negotiating with Winnebago about how much of the wall to remove and repair.

Thus far I have faith in the dealer. I'll see how it all goes. Fortunately I don't have any more trips planned for this year.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We also had a leak in the front around the side drivers window. Caulked and recaulked the window, no help. Caulked and recaulked the roof in that area, again no help. Finally got Eternabond and did the entire roof line and front and back caps. Worked like a charm.

I would guess our problem was in the front cap seam but who knows for sure.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

My dealer and Winnebago can't agree upon a fix for my motorhome. The dealer wants to do more than Winnebago is authorizing. So Winnebago will look at my motorhome for a third time and my dealer and Winnebago will agree upon a fix. To do this I have to wait another month, as the rep will arrive sometime near the end of November. The dealer sent my motorhome home to wait on the Winnebago rep.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:59 AM   #16
Living The Dream

Repairs were made last week at the factory. GREAT experience! Thanks to all for the recommendation. Now I will never want to return to the dealer.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:58 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

JD Allen

Any resolution to the leak?

I just had a similar one start after all the snow and ice melted off the roof last week. Dripping from windshield line at passenger's side.

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
Living The Dream

All fixed!

--- so far