Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Wow, thats way more work than I could ever attempt. It was a interesting write up. Now Im glad the previous owner of our coach already replaced the Rad and Cac in ours...Just wonder what else back there is gonna need replaced now...very expensive stuff hidden back behind all those shrouds, huh?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoneseR View Post
Wow, thats way more work than I could ever attempt. It was a interesting write up. Now Im glad the previous owner of our coach already replaced the Rad and Cac in ours...Just wonder what else back there is gonna need replaced now...very expensive stuff hidden back behind all those shrouds, huh?
JoneseR,
Yes Sir, it was a ton of work. But, I've been doing that sort of thing for all my life. Sometimes, more now than ever, I wonder if I should take on projects like this one. We're all getting older and, a bit less limber. My thoughts are that while I can, and am still WILLING to, try to save a few bucks by doing many things on these rolling gymnasiums that I can. You mentioned you wonder what else is back there that might need replacing.

Keep an eye on the surge tank. They are plastic and they are subject to very harsh operating conditions. They see and feel not only the heat and cold from the engine but, also they're subject to the elements and get cracked over time. They are not fun to replace but, it's quite doable for even the most modest of DIYrs.

There also regular things to keep your eye on like radiator hoses, clamps (rusting) heater hoses and more. One thing I also had to replace a while ago was two, 90 degree steel bends that link heater hoses from the engine to the "motor aid" section of the water heater. Mine were in real bad shape so, I created some new ones with some 1/2" copper and some 90 degree copper fittings. It worked flawless. Just some suggestions here. Take care.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tips, Scott...going out this weekend for a little trip...I'm gonna get back there and look around real good while in camp to get more familiar with everything and inspect the condition of some of these things you mentioned.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #24

This is not a new problem.. We done Our Ultimate In 2004 .. First It is /ours was Done by removing The Back of the Coach Lower half cover. Nothing is done In the coach;; The Rad. Condensor . Intercooler It all comes out the back. With the help of a man or two. One day job. Have it done at A shop it will be Between $1500.00 and $2500.00 . And I owned American Rad. In Seattle Many years. This is not new to me.. I would like to add, DO NOT USE ANY CRAP IN IT;; Extend the tube. Clean the Rad/condensor/Intercooler, And you will be good to go;; Life is good
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, radiator