Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Diesel fuel additives

We have just gotten a 2006 Itasca Navion with diesel. I keep hearing that we should use an additive to prevent bacterial growth in the fuel. There are a lot of them out there. What to use? Perhaps you all have some experience/wisdom on this topic. I'd appreciate your suggestions. Have put several 100 miles of interstate on the odo and really enjoy it. We'll like it even better after these annoying trips back to the dealer for small repairs and explanations before we put it in storage for Winter.
Tschlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You will get varying opinions on fuel additives. I know both the CAT manual I had with my previous coach and the Cummins manual I have with my current coach say no fuel additives are necessary.

If you fuel up at places that sell a lot of diesel (truck stops, other busy filling options) and change your fuel filters as recommended, you should be fine. Another thing to do is not store your coach for long periods (especially in cold weather) with a less-than-full tank. If you leave a bunch of air in the tank and get condensation, that could cause issues.

All that said, I periodically (every third tank or so) dump in a bottle of Power Service diesel fuel additive (gray bottle) in warmer weather. In winter (and especially before I put the coach up for the winter), I switch to the Power Service in the white bottle which is supposed to prevent gelling of the fuel in cold weather. You can get Power Service at Walmart.

Is this necessary? Probably not but I do it anyway.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

A good additive is wise for improved lubricity more so the alge,bacteria or gelling. USLD diesel "should" have lubricants added...but... off spec fuel is more common then you know. My second career was as a safety maanger for a major refiner. Mixed loads and and off spec fuel reaching the pump was not uncommon.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

The only time bacteria seems to grow is if there is water in your fuel and now with the bio in the fuel the problem seems magnified. If your primary fuel filter has a water separator/ sight glass on the bottom it look for little black slime deposits in it. If you see any go to a good parts store or truck stop that sell a Diesel Fuel Biocide Additive and that will kill the bacteria. I try to stay with a brand name like Racor or Bio-Kleen but they all seem to work.
timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Two things, only purchase diesel fuel at major, high-volume stations. Second, keep your fuel tank full when in storage. The "empty" space is filled with air and normal heating and cooling makes moisture in air condense. This condensation falls into diesel fuel (which has a natural affinity to attract water), settles to the tank bottom and while laying there reacts with any dirt/organics in the system.

Algae/bacteria is a misnomer, it is not a living thing. It is sludge. This FAQ explains what is actually is, what causes the condition, how to prevent it, and how to remedy the situation after-the-fact.
If you desire to use a fuel additive, this additive study will be enlightening.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #6

A diesel machanic. Next door Now retired. said. You put diesel in the tank. Nothing alse; He said that crap opperators dump in only cause problems.. Of course he could be wrong as he only worked on diesels for 52 years... Even in the colds of Alaska. Life is good
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
A diesel machanic. Next door Now retired. said. You put diesel in the tank. Nothing alse; He said that crap opperators dump in only cause problems.. Of course he could be wrong as he only worked on diesels for 52 years... Even in the colds of Alaska. Life is good
His experience was with the old 500ppm (before that, 5,000ppm) diesel fuel. Today's fuel barely meets the minimum standards for scar wear test. That additive test contains the results of the scar wear test results. The most effective lubricity additive remains 2% biodiesel, which is what the vast majority of fuel sold today contains. You will find hours of reading on the subject on the internet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Diesel fuel additive study

Thanks Ray. That study was an eye opener for me. I intend to forward this to others that I know are as anal about their diesel performance, and longevity. Could you or anyone else advise as to where the 2% REG Soy Power Bio Diesel additive can be purchased? Thanks again
THERAPY GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Lubricity

I don't know about other Refineries but here in western Pa. most all ULSD, heating fuel oil and off road (dyed) USLD have Bio added in. If that is not enough lubricity we add a additive to keep it at spec. The tanks are checked everyday and we sample the transport trucks continuously after they have loaded as the Bio is added at the rack as the tankers are loading not in the bulk tanks.
timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #10

Alls good until a driver mixes a load or drops in the wrong tank at the gas station. Happenes a lot. My second career was as a safety manager for a refinery and truck loading rack. I use a high quality additive even before ULSD. JMO
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERAPY GUY View Post
Thanks Ray. That study was an eye opener for me. I intend to forward this to others that I know are as anal about their diesel performance, and longevity. Could you or anyone else advise as to where the 2% REG Soy Power Bio Diesel additive can be purchased? Thanks again
Virtually all diesel fuel today contains 2% biodiesel, some 10% or 5%. There's even a station on I70 about 70 miles West of St. Louis that sells only 100% biodiesel. Yet another reason to always carry spare fuel filters onboard. It cleans out all the gunk from the entire fuel system that was left by dino-diesel.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

posting to save this for later read.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
posting to save this for later read.
You might already know about this (my apologies if you do), but if you don't:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThreadTools.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	54853  
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

An engineer at GM said "If the engine needed additives GM would of put a tank on the engine, assigned a part number for the additive and required to purchase our GM product." Drive your unit on the upper half of your fuel tank. When stored for even short periods keep the tank FULL. Safe travels.... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel