Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Diesel engine and chassis service

Just bought a new Tour 40WD and have been reading the manuals. The maintenance requirements are extensive and somewhat complicated.

I would like to hear what other diesel pusher owners do for their maintenance. Freightliner, Cummins, Dealer, etc.?

I've never owned anything as big and complex as the Tour, so this is going to be a steep learning curve for me.

Bil Barton (soon to be a full-timer)
ouraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have migrated to dividing what needs to be serviced into 3 categories

1. Lubrication for engine and genset ...
I am lucky enough to have a quick lube facility whose owner has a diesel pusher ... his techs do a great job
2. Air and Fuel Filters and Engine maintenace
There is a "truck" maintenance facility that a friend told me about that I use for changing air and fuel filters. I used this facility for the initial adjustment on the engine.
3. "House" stuff
I have been using my dealer ... but I heard recently that he dropped the Winnebago franchise ... so I will need to look elsewhere
I found that the labor charges and the wait times at my Freightliner service center was much higher than those of 1. and 2. above and with no significant difference in the quality of their work.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wonder why Freightliner shops are so notorious for having a longer than normal wait time for service? I've been to a FL dealer in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas and usually run into at least a 4 hour wait past the agreed upon appointment time. Do they do this intentionally to us RVers because they don't like working on RVs?

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G XC FL chassis
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

A shop has the personality of its owner or supervisor. The Freightliner outfit in Sacramento, CA gets very high marks for its treatment of diesel RV owners.

Gramps has the right idea IMO. Find shops whose expertise & attitude match the need. An LOF on a diesel rig is a big deal to those who only touch stuff that has a 6 or less qt pan. For those who have handled larger fluid amounts, its just a bigger filter and more liquid to sell (as long as they can fit you into the shop or deal w/you on the lot; some figure a diesel rig takes the room of 3 ordinary customers, so why not charge accordingly).

For brakes and other chassis stuff, I'd check around for a local truck shop that enjoys working on something different; find a local coffee shop where the truckers hang out and ask where they go. Folks that understand RVs can make short work and be efficient with your maintenance dollars.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

From your public profile, I see you live in CA so a trip to SC may not be realistic. However, if you ever travel or plan to travel near Gaffney, SC, the Freightliner Custom Chassis Service Center is there and they specialize in servicing the FL motorhome chassis. If that is not realistic, I agree with the others....try and find a service center that will take care of your chassis. Some Freightliner Oasis centers are good, some I hear are not.

Another option is to locate a Cummins Coach Care Center in your area. They have additional training/certifications to service not only the chassis, but much of the coach systems as well. There are four Coach Care centers listed in California.

http://www.funroads.com/coachcare/#
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I will second the Cummins Coach Care. Unless I am in an area where I personally know of the local RV dealer or one comes highly recommended via sites such as this I generally only open my wallet at Cummins Coach Care shops. If you join the Cummins Power Master Club at $19.95 per year you get 10% off on all parts and labor.

The things that I have come to like is that they keep you and your rig separate from the truckers; they generally have overnight spots with 50 amp service; the shops and the techs are clean and so will your coach be when they are done; if they tell you 3 hours it will be 3 hours; if they tell you 2 days it will be 2 days. And most of all, even though they are not the lowest cost in town they are fair and when they are done they are done and you head out into the sunset with a renewed confidence. Be safe out there----Ken...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

One thing I would like to add to smlranger comments about Gaffney is that if you do get the opportunity to go there plan to attend Camp Freightliner. It is an excellent 2 day class covering all you want to know and more. They have on occasion held a class in AZ also so they may be able to tell you if or when that will happen.

The website is here Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation . Once you click on the motorhome link, then click on the service center and the maintenance check lists are there for you to download if you do not have them.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote