Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Diesel back to gas

I'm curious to know the experiences and comments of those who had diesel pushers and then decided to move back to a gas powered motorhome. I've followed the typical path of most who eventually purchased a diesel pusher. I've had four gas powered motorhomes, a winnie warrior, a brave, two adventurers, and I now own a 2004 Journey with a 330 Cat C7 engine. I'm aware of all of the arguments for the diesel as opposed to a gas motorhome. However, I would like to learn of the experiences and advice of those who actually made the move from a diesel pusher back to a gas motorhome. Also, what type of gas engine, Ford or the Vortec? I appreciate your responses and advice with respect to this inquiry. Thanks!!
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've had 3 gassers and now have had this 2004 Meridian DP for 6 years, and believe me I've given your very thought some serious consideration. If it weren't for the tremendous pulling power of the DP I'd switch back in a heartbeat but as much mountain driving that we do I'm not sure that's ever going to be an option. The tremendous amount of expensive maintenance required and so many situations the diesel engine could stop running and require a tow is almost mind blowing. The main diesel engine block may be a 500,000 mile piece of equipment, but all the other products attached to the block are no better than a gasser.
All my gassers have been the Vortex engine and since I'm basically GM oriented I'd probably go with the Workhorse chassis.
Good luck on your decision.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I went from a 40' HR Endeavor to a 32' Adventurer with a full slide. I gave up torque for a lighter, smaller, simpler unit. The full slide lives like a 40 footer inside, but I lost storage outside. It was a tough decision, but I'm glad I did it.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have considered "going back" several times due to the horrendous maintenance costs, even though I do my own maintenance. But I do like the air-ride and the braking system.....besides, this purchase was partially justified by the fact that it will probably be my last motorhome. Six years and 62K miles and it still looks and drives like new.

RedT in Glendale, AZ
2004 Meridian
2003 Jeep Liberty
M&G Brake System
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We went from a DP to a gas unit. Give it much thought and just made sense for us. Yes we did loose some power / performance and cargo cap.
Our reasons to go to a gas unit were, diesel has higher maintance cost and service was more difficult to locate. And the up front cost of purchase is more. We just do not put enough miles on our motorhome to justify the additional cost of a diesel. Fuel cost are not that much different due to the high cost of diesel. Class A diesel vs a top of the line gas is about the same as far as how the coach is built same body parts and interior parts, big difference is the chassis / engine.
We may not get to the top of the mountain first... but we do get there. The performance of the newer gas units are much improved over previous units that some compare to. I have not noticed much difference in the brakes or stoping power so far.
So far we have been happy with the gas, just have to be a little more thoughtful with cargo weight.
We feel the money saved in maintance and purchase cost, maybe we will be able to afford the higher fuel cost that are fast approaching.
kstrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had Gas,then Diesel, Then Gas and now Diesel. I went to gas after diesel because I couldn't justify the cost of a diesel "sitting" in the driveway..I liked the gas just fine, but it didn't compare to a diesel. Ride, Torque, Storage, 3 Slides and just a super coach. I like my diesel and will keep it till the end...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I just traded a diesel for a gas and I don't regret it. My first coach was gas, then I found a newer model Allegro Bay dies with 230 cummins. I kept it for 10 years and had no major problems. Last year I started looking for another coach. I found a 2006 Allegro Bay 35ft with the workhorse chassis and 8.1 chevy vortec. I must say that the change was dramatic. The ride was much better and the power was just as good or better than the diesel. The mileage is good too, at 9mpg, the gas compares
favorably with the diesel I had at 9 to 10mpg. The new coach is heavier also. It is a foot longer and has two slides. I wouldn't buy anything beside workhorse and Allegro.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I haven't had the experience some of the other guys have had but in my 37 years, I've owned 2 gas motorhomes (Gulfstreams) and this past December, I purchased my first DP. A 2000 Winnebago Journey with a 275 hp Cummings. I have to say, things I like are the air ride, responsive braking and I'm averaging about 2-3 more miles per gallon in the dp. This may seem small, but the biggest improvement I enjoy with my dp is being able to actually have a normal conversation with my 7 year old and my wife going down the highway at 65 mph. I always seemed to be yelling in our gas coaches (at least that's what my wife always said). Also, the 2 times we have dry camped so far, it's so nice not having the rumble of a generator under the rear bed. It's upfront and we are hardly able to hear or feel it.

I hope to enjoy 30 or 40 more years of owning an RV. For my family, it will always be a dp from this coach on.
leedowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

We move from a 36' Alpine Coach (Cummins 330 ISC) to a 24' Phoenix Cruiser (V10 Ford) and are not at all regretful. MPG on the Alpine was right at 8.8 towing and with the Phoenix it's 10.9 Bareback.

We've had had no issues driving the Phoenix for casual touring while on a 7-week, 10,685 mile venture and compared to the Alpine the Phoenix drives like the family sedan. An oil change on the trip was done at "Oil Can Henry's" for $34.00/5,000 miles (the Alpine cost $116.00/15,000 miles). 6 new tires cost $984.00 (the Alpine cost $3,300.00).

Do we miss the ride and storage capacity of the Alpine? To a degree, yes. Do we miss the maintenance? Absolutely not.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #10

We have owned 7 MH. 6 gas 1 diesel our present one. The gas engines were built for cars/trucks then they were crammed into a motorhome. Altho many will argue, The average life of a gas engine in a motorhome is 50000. miles We lost two of them both below 60000. miles. A diesel has a life expectancy of near 500000 th miles. oil change 15000 miles. They are all good it's just what you want and how much you want to spend. Oh We had a friend that had over 100000 miles on his and never changed his oil; life is good;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I loved my gas coach once it was parked, but the drive was only fun on the calmest of days. Do I miss the lower depreciation, overall cost etc? Yes. But now with our DP the journey is fun as well.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

One thing I do NOT miss about my gasser is trying to fit into a gas station that designed for cars. Especially when I was towing.

Now I much rather fight with the tractor trailers in the diesel islands where there is more room!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

had 3 gas and now a pusher, glad i switched, had a 250 and 350 disel and went to gas lincoln mark lt, and regreted it everyday, it lasted 5 months and got traded in for a 6.4 diesel 250, willnever go back to gas inaa truck or motorhome.
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote