Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Diesel Auxiliary Heater

Has anyone added an Espar or Webasto diesel burning auxiliary heater to a Winnebago View 24G (or any Winnebago 24' Class C)? I am trying to identify the best/easiest place to mount the heater and duct it into the cabin. Hoping someone has done this.
Hatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Itasca Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrock View Post
Has anyone added an Espar or Webasto diesel burning auxiliary heater to a Winnebago View 24G (or any Winnebago 24' Class C)? I am trying to identify the best/easiest place to mount the heater and duct it into the cabin. Hoping someone has done this.
Haven't installed one in an RV, but have installed several of them in boats that I built. Both brands are very sensitive to fuel quality and American diesel (at least in Marina's) is pretty low quality compared to Europe's. In several cases, we installed separate tanks just for the heaters so the owners could run kerosene.
Personally, I would stay with a propane furnace from Suburban or Dometic.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have installed a Chinese clone in my Winnebago Journey. Works well and I mounted it under the bath vanity.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Great Recommendation

Thanks for your reply. I was looking at that location over the weekend. Now I know someone who has done it. Looks like you can go through the floor for air intake, fuel line and exhaust without hitting a tank or anything else critical. Easy to go through the wall with the duct. Thanks again!
Old 12-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I was looking at that location over the weekend. Now I know someone who has done it. Looks like you can go through the floor for air intake, fuel line and exhaust without hitting a tank or anything else critical. Easy to go through the wall with the duct. Thanks again!
Basically I installed it in the cold air return space for the furnace below the bath sink. That allowed me to not drill through the floor for the intake, exhaust and fuel and only had to go through the top of the storage compartment below. I installed a Y on the heater duct and put one vent in the bath vanity beside the toilet and the other I just angle cut the duct and placed it against the cold air return grate which vents into the kitchen/living area. It nice to have bathroom heat without having to run the large furnace. We almost exclusively boondock out west and try to live off our solar panels. So the electric hungry furnace is not a good option for our setup so I needed a less electric energy option for heat. Sure we have a 8K generator but hate having to use it.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Great Info

I have gone through a similar thought process. It would be nice not to have to drill/cut holes in the floor. There is a very sturdy bracket that came with mine that allows you to avoid the drilling if you can secure the bracket to a vertical wall, but so far I have not found an appropriate place. My air return for the LP furnace is under my shower. My proposed location for the diesel heater is in that same "plenum", behind the air return vent. My motivation for doing this is to defer from using the LP furnace as my main source of heat. The fan is noisy and It literally SUCKS gas. My son has a smaller diesel heater in his Sprinter conversion van and they are extremely economical when it comes to fuel consumption and much quieter. Thanks for your replies. Safe travels.

Tags
diesel, heat, heater