Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

this is our first Class A, have had 5th wheel in the past and seeking advise from the experts here. We will be taking our pre deilivery inspection this coming week on a new Journey 36SG, what are some of the items you all have had experience with that i need to keep my eyes open for. any suggetsion are graciously accepted

thanks in advance

bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

this is our first Class A, have had 5th wheel in the past and seeking advise from the experts here. We will be taking our pre deilivery inspection this coming week on a new Journey 36SG, what are some of the items you all have had experience with that i need to keep my eyes open for. any suggetsion are graciously accepted

thanks in advance

bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have done hundreds of Walk Thrus with customers, my advice is to go slow, ask questions and insist that the appliance(s) be operated. If anything needs repair and cannot be taken care of right then and there, get it in writing.....

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:32 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

HERE is a link to several checklists, one of which is a pre-delivery checklist inspection (PDI) form.

Good luck with your purchase and inspection...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Do not do the finance or final purchase agreement/paperwork or sign title until after you have inspected the rv. This practiced saved me a lot of $$$. After inspection I discovered ac problem, leaning, paint etc....

I insisted that the dealer and winnebago both be responsible for items I discovered at pickup. If not, the dealer will tell you to take up your problems with winnebago if they chose not to fix anything.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

In our case, I took the "Black Bag" home and studied everything for a couple of weeks while waiting for our financing. We visited the coach several times - especially after a hard rain - and "played' with everything. During our actual PDI, I knew more about the coach than the dealer's guy. It went real smooth. Basically, do your homework!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Congratulations,,,No matter how careful you are,
expect to have some problems..Be nice at all times, patient and everything will work out fine. Call Winnie often and tell them of your problems and what is being done at the dealer. Often times, if documented, after warranty Winnie will still honor the problem..Just be sure to document all problems , dates, who you talked to etc...Winnie is great to do business with..Just remember you get more flies with honey than vinegar...Establish a relationship with the chassis manufacturer as well as the engine manufacturer. Safe Miles and Enjoy
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Video tape the walk through ...

I referred to that tape several times during the first two years before I could remember where everything was located.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The Journey is notorious for the front left comparment leaking water into it while driving in the rain. One other person on this forum had an idea of placing a light inside after dark, closing the door and looking for light seepage around all the seams. This method proved useful for me.

I've had my share of problems after delivery but most were taken care of by dealer. You can expect gremlins to show up every now and then but be patience, it's part of the RV experience.

Problems with my 07 36G
1. Leaking fron left compartment,
2. Dead rear camera, (Monitor replaced)
3. Suden lost of all cameras after monitor replaced. (Fixed by gremlins)
4. Sudden lost of all dash power except for ABS light. (Fixed by gremlins)
5. Front windshield fan installed poorly. (Fixed by dealer)
6. White "stuff" on front mask. Dealer suppled solvent and since i was leaving on a trip i cleaned myself.
7. Bedroom door sticking. (Fixed by dealer.)
8. Loss of unit heating, both propane and electric. Not yet repaired but suspect electrical contacts. (Dealer to repair)
9. Door gasket coming out of door seal. Continuing problem. (Fixed once by dealer)
10. Everything vibrates apart from the unit. JUST GET USE TO IT. Common and continuing problem. When you find parts rolling around on the floor jsut save them until you find out where they go. (i.e. Toilet seat sliding up to the driver when you brake suddenly brake. p.s.-pick up some extral toilet seat nuts for replacing the ones that fall down into the toilet cavity.)
11. My fuse panel is not where it's suppose to be, it's located out in the front compartment next to the genney on the right in an enclosed box. My book talks about two fuse boxes about six inches apart, I only have one box for the chassis. p.s., make sure you have the "taux" and phillips head screw drivers....you'll need both to remove any one item. For what ever reason winnies uses both types of screw heads at any one time...???
12. Every now and then I get a loud "bang" when turning either left or right...not be too alarmed, it's either a door or a draw coming loose and either closing or opening. (even thought you properly closed each.)
13. Unless winnie improved the dash cooling on these units, you will find that the front dash ac is poor at best to stay cool during driving in hot weather, especially when the sun in on your side and coming throught the windows. You can turn on the genny and cool the unit with the house ac which works well.
14. Don't be afraid of running the genny even if you have the Onan 8K unit. It uses very little fuel. Speaking of the genney, buy a case of filters and oil and don't forget to change the oil every 150 hours of operation. Also my genny hour readout on tyhe dash has never worked.??

With all that, my problems have been few and though annoying they have not detered my pleasure with the unit. It drives well and handles fairly well in cross winds. A little harry when 18 wheelers pass. They will push you to the right, all of a sudden, and then suck you to the left. So be aware of when they come by..

Best of luck with your unit and keep intouch.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have two items of advice based on my experience picking up my first new coach this year:

1) Be sure to at least "thump" all of the tires. I got my rig home and found that I had a flat inboard dually. It cost me $400 for a new tire since the dealer said they had to assume it happened after delivery.

2) Prepare yourself to spend the first year working out the bugs in your new coach. Don't get discouraged and work with your dealer to get the kinks worked out.

Congratulations and enjoy!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote