Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Decision, Decisions

We currently have a 2006 Sightseer 30B (our first RV ever), I replaced the dinette set, sofa/bed, mattress, changed to a porcelain toilet, water pump and other odds and ends. within the last two month I had the front ball joints replaced, SS springs installed and the brake system flushed and put six new Toyo tires on. Basically I made it nice, safe, and roadworthy. It is our first RV to try out the RV thing; we used it twice and like it.

Now I seen a 2016 Brave 27B for sale 80 miles away. My wife drove to Springfield today because she likes to shop in the mall. I drove to the dealer and looked at the Brave. There was no salesman around so I really looked at everything and I really like it and the retro Brave was always the model I wanted.

Now I am not sure what to do; keep the Sightseer which is in good cosmetic and great mechanical condition and I don't owe anything on it or buy the newer Brave. Next question would be should I trade in the Sightseer or would it be better to sell it here or a site like RV Trader. I sold many cars but never an RV. I tried to find a fair trade-in value but NADA only lists low and high retail wich is 23K and 28K respectively. Link to the Brave is below.

https://www.reliablerv.com/inventory...-brave-27b.php

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #2
Site Team

That is a tough choice. You should know that all of your updates and replacements except the tires will be valued at $0. The tires won’t really add to it’s resale but they won’t devalue it at all.

Does the Brave have the 6-speed transmission? That’s a major improvement if it does.

Are they willing to deeply discount the Brave? It wasn’t a big selling model.

Dealer trade in sacrifices possible higher resale for speedy sale. Did you buy the Sightseer for really cheap?
Old 12-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The 2016 still used the 5-speed Torque Shift transmission. I haven't spoken to anybody at the dealership yet, just looked it over really good without a salesperson bugging me.
I realize that all the new stuff adds value when I trade it in at the dealership.
If I sell to an individual at least the new tires and suspension parts should be a selling point. Those are expensive repairs that most older RVs will need and they are done.
If I can get somewhere around low retail or a little less I will trade or sell for that.

We fly to Germany for 2 weeks on Saturday, if it is still there when we return I probably contact them and see what kind of deal they offer me.

Thanks for your input.

Hans

Old 12-12-2019, 03:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I got my Meridian from Reliable. I will say that they are not pushy, however I went from a 2017 to a 2007. I did stay firm with my price and they worked their magic to get all the dollars to line up like the stars in the sky.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I got my Meridian from Reliable. I will say that they are not pushy, however I went from a 2017 to a 2007. I did stay firm with my price and they worked their magic to get all the dollars to line up like the stars in the sky.
I assume you meant to say 2007 to2017. Anyway, what is your impression of Reliable RV? Sales, service department, financing?

How did you come up with a fair trade value, all I can find is low and high retail on NADA. I want to be prepared.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

This may sound mean but buy the Brave, spend a couple of thousand on it and I can assure you'll see something in the spring that looks better. Or keep the Sightseer, use it for a season and see if you really like RVing. I'm on my fourth rig but over a 20 year period. There is always something out there that I like better than what I have.
cptrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

No the years were correct. I know it sounds strange but we went from Thor entry level small class A to the Itasca Meridian 36se that was in excellent shape. Anyway

As for the sales people, they were not in a hurry, to make the sale. Knowledgeable on most of the items I was concerned with. However some of there lot guys are not. I wanted to see the awning down and the kid could not find the button to lower it. I told him it was manual and need a rod to catch the strap. He really had no idea. The head sales person greater us then pushed us off to another guy. After awhile I was very happy with the change.

Financing, well I spent the better part of 6 hrs with her. I am not complaining, she thought the deal was done then the bank backed out. She finally found a bank that would work with everyone. I would have walked if the deal could not have been made. I left happy and that's what matters.

Did not have to deal with the service department directly. They did fix some of the items on the hit list for no charge. Put in an electric brake controller for my tow dolly. The guy who did the PDI was great had a problem with the water filter and he replaced it on the spot.

Good luck on which ever way you go.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

"A Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

Hang onto the Sightseer and stay off RV sales lots.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #9
Site Team

I was thinking about this, and honestly, my personal preferences color the entire question. I was excited when the Brave first was announced. How cool it seemed. But the retro look thing lasted about 20-minutes and was gone.

Then the first time I saw inside the Brave I was both disappointed and turned off by it's cheap appearance. Maybe it's more of a simple look than cheap. I don't know.

We looked at Sightseers when we bought our Adventurer and decided the Adventurer was worth the extra money. I think the Sightseer was $12,000 less when we shopped in 2017.

If I had a mid-2000's Sightseer and got it all set up good I'd stick with it. For now. Would I want to upgrade? Yes, definitely. But I don't think a Brave would be an upgrade. It's newer. That's all.

Hang on to the Sighseer and stay off RV sales lots... until you can afford a real upgrade - maybe a two-step up upgrade.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Having NO payments is huge, especially when considering how quickly various RVs depreciate. As others have mentioned, we have seen a few RVs that we like better (or think we do) than ours but that goes away within half an hour after leaving "that" camp! We'll have our motorhome paid off in another 3 years and then maybe we'll seriously look for our next upgrade, maybe we'll wait a bit longer. I think if it were me, and I'm biased from my own limitations, I'd stick with the one you have and get some time under your belt with it.

Al
Old 12-15-2019, 10:53 PM   #11
Site Team

I’d agree with the others that the Brave is not an upgrade from a Sghtseer. I’d keep it and save the money. I hear Winnebago will be revamping their whole gas line in the next few years. I’m starting to save for their electric self-driving vehicle! :-)
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
The 2016 still used the 5-speed Torque Shift transmission. I haven't spoken to anybody at the dealership yet, just looked it over really good without a salesperson bugging me.
I realize that all the new stuff adds value when I trade it in at the dealership.
If I sell to an individual at least the new tires and suspension parts should be a selling point. Those are expensive repairs that most older RVs will need and they are done.
If I can get somewhere around low retail or a little less I will trade or sell for that.

We fly to Germany for 2 weeks on Saturday, if it is still there when we return I probably contact them and see what kind of deal they offer me.

Thanks for your input.

Hans
I would note that 2016 was the first year of the 6 speed transmission - so it may have either the 5 speed or the 6 speed depending on when it was built (we had a 2016 Tiffin with the 6 speed). The 5-star Tuning folks have a very nice flash update for the 5 speed which I used on our first RV and it made a big difference in shifting/downshifting. Ford eventually had a flash update for the 6 speed which reportedly improved the shifting as well. I had an early 2016, so had a 5-star tune which greatly improved the shifting prior to Ford's flash upgrade.

Overall: Your money. Your call. I'd just be a bit careful about getting too obsessed with a different rig until you've really gotten some experience under your belt. It's fun, but there are things to learn......
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The only change I am aware of is the new 7.3L gas V8 engine Ford will put in their stripped HD chassis in 2020 models. That would mean that some 2020 and most 2021 gas RVs have it.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Keep your older rv, no payments and you know what you have. A dealer will screw you coming and going but a lot of people do not seem to mind it.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Talking I vote with the logical and true really true factual

You have addressed some weakness of the coach you have and know it well. The other one is an unknown to a greater or lesser degree so the risk rises when you switch bogeys.

To top it all you are not sure if this is gonna be your thing or that of the mrs!
So save a bundle be happy don't worry, when you are ready a new bargain will pup up.
Enjoy the trip overseas and the many you aim to take locally right here in the US of A. We got so much more to see right here at home and the variety is awesome too.

All the best.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

KEEP THE 30B. I have a 2002 30B I bought about three years ago. We love it. The 30B has always been the most popular Winnebago model.

Like you, I repaired or replaced several things it needed, and now it's roadworthy, all systems work as they should, and it still looks good. Even though the Brave is only three years old, if you trade for it, the dealer is the only one who will come out ahead. I would predict you will find problems that will cost you at least two or three thousand dollars shortly after you get it. Plus, you will be giving up valuable square footage of space you have been used to.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #17
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
Keep your older rv, no payments and you know what you have. A dealer will screw you coming and going but a lot of people do not seem to mind it.
Ditto! You will take a beating on a trade-in and get another of unknown quality, defects and whatever. The grass always looks greener on the other side but usually isn't. No payments is also a BIG plus. I hope that whatever you decide works out for you. Best wishes.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:56 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Being on vacation gave me some distance and time to do some thinking. The opinions given here are good and to the point. For now we keep what we have because our current RV is all fixed and up to par. I really don't want a payment either. In a couple of years we will be able to upgrade and pay cash. Besides that our RV is at the point where it really doesn't depreciate much more in two years as long as it is kept up.

Thanks for al the input.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #19
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Now you are thinking straight. Try to keep emotions out of the buying process. Best wishes and happy camping.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

30B

Smart thinking.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote