Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Decals are coming off..

I thought about pulling the stripes and swooshes off, but they're somewhat OK, even after 16yrs; it's the SIGHTSEER stickers that are unsightly. They took a real beating from the Sun. There is a detailer in CA on Youtube who seemed to do it right. (I'm sure there are more.)

The key, to me, was getting some heat into the sticker to soften the old adhesive. I have a heat gun; a hairdryer would likely work - just taking longer to heat the substrate.

The stickers are old and break apart like those price labels at retailers when people try to substitute a lower price label. I was able to use a razor knife to slide up and get a wider purchase without scratching the surface. Total time: ~15min.

I gave the body a massive wash of Dawn, TSP, and peroxide, but had to mist a lot of it with bleach - 'still not getting what I'd like.

Like that detailer, I did a patch of 1500 grit with a DA sander - and after seeing that - ordered 3000 and 5000 grit. ..'In for a penny, in for a pound', eh?

Jim

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sticker1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	642.0 KB
ID:	169499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sticker2.jpg
Size:	753.2 KB
ID:	169500  

Name:	Sticker3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	807.3 KB
ID:	169501  
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Decals

What do you plan to do with the shiny spots left where the decals come off?
Old 04-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Z'actly, stagger... Since I don't want to make those shiny spots yellow, dull and faded, I'm jes' going to have to bring out the air tools and polish the C'hit out of the rest of the hooch.

I thought about shooting clearcoat. I have done a number of boards; lots of Asian-built simply use a matte gel finish that quickly stains, but even using SPI clears, the cost would be high. I have a const. trailer I can shoot boards in, but this would have to be done outside - humidity, dust, and bugs are a pain here ...likely just as much post-work after shooting as simply polishing this?! (the thinness of the Winn gel coat makes me a little nervous - I can only use very fine grits)

I can do vinyl. I have a 30" plotter/cutter to do lettering but have never attempted a wrap. That also would be very expensive. ...but, for sure, it will no longer be a SIGHTSEER. 'Have to come up with a creative new, 2002 product line for Winnebago..? Cheers.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gloss.jpg
Size:	755.6 KB
ID:	169504  
Old 04-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

That looks like a very nice job. But I have noticed like you said, the bugs seem to be drawn to wet paint.
Humidity is another bummer.
My bet is you can paint your own paint design, and it will work out nicely. You appear to have the talent for that.
The product 303 space protectant doe an excellent job of protecting anything from the sun, even wiper blades.
https://www.goldeagle.com/product/30...ce-protectant/
Lee
Old 04-30-2018, 06:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Lee.

Jim
Old 04-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I don't have the patience for that sort of thing. I'd just head down to San Felipe, Baja and have Tony do it for me.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff View Post
Thanks, Lee.

Jim
No need to thank me Jim.
Craftsmanship deserves recognition.
But you are welcome.
Lee
Old 05-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Lucky you, Jim. ...out east we get the impression that Baja is a particularly dangerous place to go below Ensenada. I made a line of surf clothing in the 80's and my distributor in SD took me down for a few days. I even got to see the start of the Baja. Very cool.

In the old days, back in Wisconsin, all we ever heard about MEX was; "Bring your own thread." ...Tony's brother did great upholstery but didn't have good resources.

Jim
Old 05-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Most of the crime down there is gang on gang, seldom involves tourists. But there's hot spots of course, places to avoid.

As far as it being 'particularly dangerous', not true IMO. I've heard and read reports of a higher crime rate in the lower third of Baja, down around La Paz and below. But I hang out in San Felipe, just 2 hours from the US border. Not particularly dangerous for Americans in RVs down there.

They have resources available there or could get it quickly. Not saying everything down there goes great, but the work I've had done, or seen done, was well done.

---------------------------

Opps, sort of highjacking the thread, sorry.

The work by Wetstuff, well done. Always interesting to see someone's skill at work.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Decal replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerlee View Post
What do you plan to do with the shiny spots left where the decals come off?
There is a company Mobility RV www.winnebagoparts.com that might have a replacement decal. I have ordered quite a few from them with very good luck and replaced them on my 2000 Adventurer. Their phone number is 800 933 7742, good luck

Peter Childers
Winnie 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Further along... I am up to compound with a wool pad on the passenger's side and 3000 grit (yet to do 5000) on the driver's side. You can see the difference easier in the shade vs sunshine, so I took these two shots that somewhat exaggerate the difference so far.

I am going to cut new lettering for a new 'brand name' (haven't decided yet..) and I would like to not use the same spaces ...but unless I can get more 'white' to come back to the surface, I may have to use the same spots to mask this vitiligo.

Jim

..side note: this must have been mostly parked with the passenger's side getting more Sun - it seems to have taken more of a UV beating.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Decal1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	169566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decal2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	692.7 KB
ID:	169567