Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2007, 05:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I noticed the rather large number of posts regarding "loss of seal" in the Atwood windows Winnebago uses in our motorhomes (although many other makes also use Atwood products). Our problem stems from a breakin (2 in 6 months) at the storage lot where we (used to) park our motorhome. $7k of loss from first breakin and $4k 2nd breakin. The thugs brokein this time via a window and when we took it to our dealer he called and stated it would take 6 weeks to get the window, not happy but what do you do but wait. So here sits our MH outside for over 6 weeks and they call and state they ordered the WRONG window! Order the correct one and informed us it would take 6 more weeks to be made and delivered. Not satisfied I called Winnebago and was informed, Yes it does take that long to get a window from Atwood. This is unbelieveable, to sit and wait this long to get a product repaired! In light of the problems many are having with the seals breaking on their MH windows and delays in getting product I'd think Winnebago should be thinking about another vendor or at the least a backup for product! Do I hear "putting all their eggs in one, unreliable, basket".
Old 11-05-2007, 05:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I noticed the rather large number of posts regarding "loss of seal" in the Atwood windows Winnebago uses in our motorhomes (although many other makes also use Atwood products). Our problem stems from a breakin (2 in 6 months) at the storage lot where we (used to) park our motorhome. $7k of loss from first breakin and $4k 2nd breakin. The thugs brokein this time via a window and when we took it to our dealer he called and stated it would take 6 weeks to get the window, not happy but what do you do but wait. So here sits our MH outside for over 6 weeks and they call and state they ordered the WRONG window! Order the correct one and informed us it would take 6 more weeks to be made and delivered. Not satisfied I called Winnebago and was informed, Yes it does take that long to get a window from Atwood. This is unbelieveable, to sit and wait this long to get a product repaired! In light of the problems many are having with the seals breaking on their MH windows and delays in getting product I'd think Winnebago should be thinking about another vendor or at the least a backup for product! Do I hear "putting all their eggs in one, unreliable, basket".
Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

People we know called Atwood directly and they shipped their window a lot sooner then 6 weeks.
It might have been the common windows they had in stock? The front Passenger, and side window by the door... Beware dealers will order the part when THEY" have the scheduled time to fix it! It might NOT be the vendor...
What I found out is if another vendor makes the part call them directly.. Winnebago will just go along for the ride.. 6 weeks!
Winnebago builds the shell all the appliances including windows are vendor supplied.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

On one of our Winnie factory visits, we needed a window due to the seal breakdown and I was very surprised when the service adviser said they usually don't carry windows in service inventory. They would have to order it and it would take a couple of weeks (forgot the exact interval.)

Winnie did manage to find one somewhere that week so we didn't have to wait or come back .

We took a Monaco factory tour while we were in Elkhart this summer and we must have seen 50 coaches sitting out on their grounds completely finished except for their windows. They had taped plastic over the window openings.

I asked what's the deal with the missing windows, and the guide said their window supplier was having production problems.

One of the constants I have heard over the years is the delay of getting RV windows. Perhaps Attwood doesn't want to carry any inventory. Inventory sitting on the shelves doesn't make them any money. I suspect another problem is the lack of suppliers/competition.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The two glass companies I had look at my "Atwood" problem, told me it would take 4-6 weeks to get the glass. Then schedule the installation in. What ever became of great companies like LOF,HEHR,PPG,ETC. These outfits could get a glass to you practically overnight. I think ATWOOD should get the H---out of the glass window business. I noticed they closed one of their plants in Indiana.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I'd bet the windows are on their way -- from China.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChasA:
I'd bet the windows are on their way -- from China. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I replaced one of my windows. Winnie referred me to Atwood. I placed the order with Atwood and it took six weeks for them to make the window. I don't think the delay is because of the dealer placing the order.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

They certainly have the "quality" we come to associate with Chinese products, but priced like all American
Old 11-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone checked the paint?
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I am not sure that the China windows might be better, but they would probably have lead in them somewhere. Can't use it on toys anymore.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We were informed this past Thursday that Winne has the window and it would be shipped and arrive at the dealer sometime AFTER Xmas. That's after they promised that once Winne had it, it would be shipped overnite to the dealer!
I think in our shopping for a new DP motorhome that Winne and especially our dealer are out of the equation! Over 12 weeks to get a window replaced!!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RonK:
We were informed this past Thursday that Winne has the window and it would be shipped and arrive at the dealer sometime AFTER Xmas. That's after they promised that once Winne had it, it would be shipped overnite to the dealer!
I think in our shopping for a new DP motorhome that Winne and especially our dealer are out of the equation! Over 12 weeks to get a window replaced!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Atwood recently announced that they are closing down the plant that makes RV windows in 2008.

http://www.manufacturing.net/News-At...spx?menuid=274
Old 12-23-2007, 06:56 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Two days before Thanksgiving I had my 07 Tour and toad parked in the driveway across the street from a golf course. A golfer, I mean a duffer hit his golf ball throught the drivier's side cargo window of my SUV. Took it to local glass dealer, he ordered the glass overnight and I had it back the following day.
Knock on wood that he missed the RV. Don't we wish that windows in the RVs were replaced this quickly.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I would love for some one to blow a shot through my front passenger window of my coach. Then the insurance company would replace it. Atwood could care less in all the talks I have had with them. Winnie must have known Atwood was less than stellar. Now maybe they will get a good supplier.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

You can now order your windows direct from Atwood!
@
574-264-3131

Try to get the part # of the window first! There should be a sticker on the trim ring somewhere.
If you cant find it they will ask for the style and ask you to do some measurements to find the correct part. they are very nice and easy to work with. Yes it is true that a new window may take some time to produce (quicker if you order direct), but this is understandable if it is an out of production unit. If you only need parts like glass replacement and not the whole window your waiting should be reduced. unfortunately you are still at the mercy of the dealer unless you are handy.

good luck out there!
victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

On my class "A" I tried to get a large local glass company to replace the fogged windows with standard automotive glass. I was surprised to learn that it cannot be done. That type of glass does not lend itself to cutting. So I ended up paying Atwood $1500.00 bucks for a new set of double panes in cockpit area. Winnie installed for free.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

http://www.suncoastdesigners.com/ will remove & replace dual-pane windows for $200, I have heard, so they may be a better bet than Atwood, or Si-Gi (another junk window company). You *may* be able to order a new window from them, or send them your frame (minus the broken glass), and have them make a new one.

Also, Lazy Days now has a full window repair show, complete with the machine needed to purge and re-seal the thermo-pane seal. I don't know what they charge.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote