Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2005, 08:25 AM   #1

My dashboard bounces so bad sometimes that CD's skip! Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you solve it? I'm thinking heavy duty velcro!?
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:25 AM   #2

My dashboard bounces so bad sometimes that CD's skip! Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you solve it? I'm thinking heavy duty velcro!?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:47 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Freddy, my '04 Brave 34D dash shakes a bit too. I'm running 90 psi on the front Michelins; have Bilsteins up front too. But I didn't mount anything directly on the top of dash like a CD player. I did mount my CB just above the doghouse, below the RV radio. Our CD player in the RV radio has skipped just a few times on bad bumps. So you're not alone.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes I had a 2004 Scottsdale by Newmar W22 that was bouncing but that dash was ok until Newmar put H.d. Monroe shocks on,then it banged and rattled so bad the dash cracked,then the tv frame cracked then the roof cracked.Newmar clamed this was normal.From what i have learned the monroe shocks are the harshest and the cheapest,Billsteins are a bit less harsh and bit more money and Koni are the best and the most money.My coach had to short of a wheelbase and Newmar also streeeeeeetched it to save money. Good luck! Jerry Logan
jerry7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Jerry, you're gonna get a lotta flack about your comments on Monroe shocks.
Lotta people are running them and have great rides with them.
This is just a matter of opinion like Cummins vs Cat and Freightliner vs Spartan. I used Monroes on a 99 Adventurer and loved em. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Mine also bounces when on rough roads. The heavy duty velcro may help. I am putting more velcro on mine to see if it will help. Also in more places along the dash.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:41 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Freddy,
I used to get dash bounce until I changed to Monroe Magnums. I have the 19.5 Goodyear's on and run 80lbs in the front tires and 80 in the rear as per the tire pressure table and after weighing the coach. Believe it or not 5 lb. of pressure in the front made a big difference especially after the tire warms up during highway travel. If I were you I would make sure the pressure in your tires is correct. Tire sidewalls need to flex a little.
HAPPY MILES From Fort Worth, TX
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:14 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cboh1:
Have someone put equal in the tires and or replace your shocks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No idea what "equal" is. Workhorse changed the shocks about a year ago, and installed Monroe Magnums.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:15 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dawg:
Mine also bounces when on rough roads. The heavy duty velcro may help. I am putting more velcro on mine to see if it will help. Also in more places along the dash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Velcro seems to be the best way to go.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:57 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

I'm sure that 22.5 inch tires help a lot. Even our RV Radio skips from time to time but the Sony changer up over the driver's position hardly skips if at all.

The Monroe shocks are OK in keeping the front controlled however I'm not sure that any type of shock absorbers will help the RV Radio.

About the bouncing dash and a Velcro solution, I'm not sure where you're going to place a strip of Velcro that will hold down the dash. Don't forget that the base of the Velcro isn't going to stay in place for very long and soon you'll wind up with either a gummy mess from the adhesive or the tape won't stick anymore.

I was just looking over my dash and I just can't see a viable Velcro solution. I believe that in 2005 Winnie started hard fastening the dash so it doesn't swing up anymore. Perhaps this is a solution that they envisioned from customer feedback about bouncing dashboards.

I can say for sure that this hasn't been a problem for us to date.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freddy:
My dashboard bounces so bad sometimes that CD's skip! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might be that lousy RV Radio Winnie uses...
Old 05-15-2005, 09:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
jerry7up,

I think you are mis-informed about the shocks. If you do a bit of research and check the specs you will more than likely find:
1) The Monroe Magnums are a step up from the standard softies that came on most coaches.
2) Bilsteins are a step up from the Monroe Magnums. Note - there are 2 versions of the Bilsteins. The ones we are talking about are the firm set.
3) You can go 1 more step up to Knoi's that are adjustable. You need to check your rig weight and adjust according to Koni specs.

But shocks are only part of the answer.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:30 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Might be that lousy RV Radio Winnie uses... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that! The one in the Brave is the same as the one we had in the Sightseer. That one was replaced once, and would probably have been replaced a second time had we not decided to put the Sightseer back on the dealer's lot!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:35 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Freddy, consider ourselves lucky that the dashboard bounces... -I just learned that they've secured the dashes on the new Winnies and they no longer feature the flip-up hinged dash. So I think I'll put up with the occasional bouce as long as I can have the access to under-dash.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:06 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Let's make sure we keep our comments to the question at hand and not start bashing others for comments made by them. Opinions are just that. If you have reason to dispute that opinion, please do so in an appropriate manner.
Thanks,
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:58 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have the Konis on my 35U and can truthfully say my dash bounces a little too. I have a Streetpilot 2610 on a hard mount on top of it and it shakes it so bad the unit lowers itself on its ratchet base.....Hmmmm, maybe a 36G Journey with air ride????
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:45 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
I just learned that they've secured the dashes on the new Winnies and they no longer feature the flip-up hinged dash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They must have made some provision for access. There's a lot of work that goes on under the dash when something goes wrong.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:45 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I bought a 2006 Sightseer 29R on the new Ford chassis and it has the swing up dash. The coach was delievered to the dealership the end of Nov. I noticed on the first use that the dash bounces. I may give the velcro a try, dash bounces to much for my comfort level.

Ralph
2006 Sightseer 29R
Old 01-23-2006, 03:50 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Found on mine that they already had velcro pad screwed down but was not making good contact. Installed several flat washes under the velcro pad and everything is okay now.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:24 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I don't think you can stop the dash bounce. But you can dampen it. What I did was purchase a roll of medium density sponge rubber tape 1/2" thick and 3/4" wide. It has a sticky backing. I placed the tape along any surface where the hinged dash contacted the under dash. It does not stop the dash bounce, but does cushion it.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote