Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We went to a campout yesterday and our area rep gave a short report on goings-on at Forest City. In addition to the closure of the surplus store we had heard about, he also said they were running only two lines alternately, so each person working on a line was only getting half-time work. He said that the lady (Christy, I think) who manages WIT had been laid off, that the WIT store was closing, and that area reps (like him) were having their status changed from regular employee to contract employee, so that they would be losing their benefits. In his(and his wife's) case they felt they couldn't do it any longer so they were having to give up the job.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We went to a campout yesterday and our area rep gave a short report on goings-on at Forest City. In addition to the closure of the surplus store we had heard about, he also said they were running only two lines alternately, so each person working on a line was only getting half-time work. He said that the lady (Christy, I think) who manages WIT had been laid off, that the WIT store was closing, and that area reps (like him) were having their status changed from regular employee to contract employee, so that they would be losing their benefits. In his(and his wife's) case they felt they couldn't do it any longer so they were having to give up the job.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Wow -- that is a real shame. I did hear that class A retail sales were down over 50% in June compared to last year -- OUCH ( MSN Money RV article)!

While I know these bad times will pass, it is a real shame to see excellent firms and workers suffer. That said, one reason I bought our Tour was Winnebago's financial strength and I am sure that even with these challenges, Winnie will emerge in good shape in the future.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cyko:
--snip-- He said that the lady (Christy, I think) who manages WIT had been laid off,--snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That sounds like Kristie Renchin in Marketing Communications. Kristie is the WIT news editor. Doug Formanek is the WIT General Manager. It's really disturbing to hear about our friends at Winnebago loosing their jobs . Kristie is a really sweet young lady.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

We've recently heard from Mr. Greenspan; "Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan predicts U.S. house prices will begin to stabilize in the first half of next year, the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday."

Now if that happens lets hope that we start seeing some relief for the RV Industry in 2009 as well.

If fuel returns to the $85.00 BBL price which a lot of economist say it should perhaps this will be the catalyst that turns this around.

I'm betting that our love for the RV and the lifestyle will be re-energized and folks will have confidence to start buying again.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

If fuel returns to the $85.00 BBL price which a lot of economist say it should..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I trade Energy, and this is the first I have heard of this.

Fuel costs are are a small part...a very small part of RV ownership.....we just take the costs in stride.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Winnebago , while its painful to all, is being very smart in economizing in times of a bad economy. Employee layoff is painful but yet steps have to be taken to survive.

Gas prices may play a small roll in RV costs but it affects the cost of all consumer goods and the disposable income that many folks have.
Disposable income and the uncertainty of the times is what has hampered consumer confidence and caused folks to zipper their wallets.
I think high gas prices is going to be a way of life and conservation is the only way to drive the price down. Remember when a barrell of oil was $18.00, an outrageous price?
Good miles to all
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:03 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cyko:
--snip-- He said that the lady (Christy, I think) who manages WIT had been laid off,--snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That sounds like Kristie Renchin in Marketing Communications. Kristie is the WIT news editor. Doug Formanek is the WIT General Manager. It's really disturbing to hear about our friends at Winnebago loosing their jobs . Kristie is a really sweet young lady. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>In a very recent conversation with someone in the WIT office, I was told Kristie is leaving to be a stay-at-home Mom for her four children. Her position is being filled by another person.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
Gas prices may play a small roll in RV costs but it affects the cost of all consumer goods and the disposable income that many folks have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What I would suggest is that consumers may see high fuel prices as a detractor to buying an RV given that we buy 70 to 100 gallons of fuel at a clip. It's all in consumer perception. That coupled with all the other negative indicators are all cumulative.

You are correct. Fuel prices in of themselves a real PITA but not a buzz kill. Most of us do not commute, bring our kids to school or go grocery shopping with our RVs on a daily basis.

I'm glad that we finally got down to finding out what happened to Kristie. It's probably no different than what we see out here when teacher and medical professional women choose to make a private life for themselves and begin a family. Now this gets back to why moms and dads need to get on the stick and buy RVs!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
--snip-- You are correct. Fuel prices in of themselves a real PITA but not a buzz kill. Most of us do not commute, bring our kids to school or go grocery shopping with our RVs on a daily basis.

I'm glad that we finally got down to finding out what happened to Kristie. It's probably no different than what we see out here when teacher and medical professional women choose to make a private life for themselves and begin a family. Now this gets back to why moms and dads need to get on the stick and buy RVs! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We're cutting our summer traveling back about a month, but in dollar impact, I don't think it is the killer I was anticipating. I haven't run the numbers of this summer compared to last summer, but I suspect we are about about the same or less dollar-wise considering we are about 2,000 miles shy of last summer's travels.

I am not going to let the price of fuel dictate if the coach stays in the port or not. We bought it to travel, and by golly we are going to travel as long as it is possible.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

John_C, Ditto.......you have the coach and got it so you can travel. So I too use the coach. We just got back from a coast to coast trip and I figure we traveled like 7500 miles. Trip was smooth and great fun!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We are considering move up from our 5th wheel to a Winnebago Class A (Sightseer 34M most likely), and it's not the price of fuel that is my concern. It's the $100,000 price tag on a depreciating investment with interest that is my concern. Wish me luck.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Ken L., Its only money...and you can not take it with you when the big beyond calls. We have all heard stories of falling ill or dieing suddenly and then what. Never got to enjoy your dreams.

Enjoy your dreams and we do wish you luck on your decisions.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Regarding fuel costs of RVing...agree with most that it is only part of the cost....however,

Diesel at my local Kroger was $3.81 gallon today
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Wow Gary - that's cheap! We filled up this morning at the Flying J at Mile 0 on I-10 (Texas) and paid $4.069.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Lenger:
We are considering move up from our 5th wheel to a Winnebago Class A (Sightseer 34M most likely), and it's not the price of fuel that is my concern. It's the $100,000 price tag on a depreciating investment with interest that is my concern. Wish me luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Ken , if you buy a winn I dont think you can go wrong. They stand behind there mh. However, I suggest you do a REAL GOOD research on the ch it will be riding on.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I agree with the "do it while you can" philosophy. We just got back from a 26-day odyssey in the Vectra, towing the Dakota. 4000+ miles in the RV, and about another 2000 sightseeing in the toad. We calculated total fuel costs at ~$4K, and campground costs at ~$600.

Thankfully, fuel costs are dropping, for now. We saw it as cheap as $3.93 for cash on 8/18 (Flying J - I-44 / US-71 - Joplin, MO), and with our FJ RV'er card, credit is same as cash (or close).

Now is a wonderful time to be buying an RV. Especially a well maintained, lightly used, DP. I'm seeing 2 year-old stuff for &gt;50% of new. I'm just glad I don't have / want to sell the Vectra right now!

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Lenger:
We are considering move up from our 5th wheel to a Winnebago Class A (Sightseer 34M most likely), and it's not the price of fuel that is my concern. It's the $100,000 price tag on a depreciating investment with interest that is my concern. Wish me luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No doubt about it - you are buying a piece of equipment that depreciates. The depreciation expense needs to be factored into the total cost of ownership.

Even though it has cost us a bunch of money, no way would I trade the wonderful experiences we have enjoyed over the last three years and 35,000 miles of travel in our Horizon.

If you have the wanderlust, it is easy to justify the expense of ownership. For occasional use, I'm not so sure.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:26 AM   #19
RLS
Winnebago Owner

cyko, Can you tell us which area rep was giving the report?
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Central area rep.