Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

In case you are interested in the saga of us ordering a coach (probably from Lazydays) soon, here is another bit of datum.

I just got off the phone with the Winney factory rep to Lazydays (LD is large enough to have dedicated reps) asking him for a quote on a couple of custom items.

We want (well, I want) auto gen start and a pure sine wave inverter in place of the "stepped" or modified sine wave inverter. The question posed to the rep was:

-- What would be the cost of installing an Onan Energy Command 30 (auto gen start)?

-- What would be the cost of upgrading the inverter to a pure sine wave model?

He didn't have a clue what a "pure sine wave" inverter was. That's okay - he is basically a sales interface between Winney and LD.

I told him that Xantrex (inverters) has an add-on that does auto gen start, so that might be an option.

On the Horizons that I looked at, all of them used an inverter/charger by Dimensions and they don't have a pure sine-wave model, so the Xantrex combo might be the way to go.

I'll keep you all posted on the answers.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

In case you are interested in the saga of us ordering a coach (probably from Lazydays) soon, here is another bit of datum.

I just got off the phone with the Winney factory rep to Lazydays (LD is large enough to have dedicated reps) asking him for a quote on a couple of custom items.

We want (well, I want) auto gen start and a pure sine wave inverter in place of the "stepped" or modified sine wave inverter. The question posed to the rep was:

-- What would be the cost of installing an Onan Energy Command 30 (auto gen start)?

-- What would be the cost of upgrading the inverter to a pure sine wave model?

He didn't have a clue what a "pure sine wave" inverter was. That's okay - he is basically a sales interface between Winney and LD.

I told him that Xantrex (inverters) has an add-on that does auto gen start, so that might be an option.

On the Horizons that I looked at, all of them used an inverter/charger by Dimensions and they don't have a pure sine-wave model, so the Xantrex combo might be the way to go.

I'll keep you all posted on the answers.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The New Xantrex RS2000 is now available. It's a true sine wave inverter/charger that will fit into the same space that the OEM Freedom 458 modified sine wave models did. They also have an RS3000 on the way (next month) which is the one I'm waiting for. This inverter also uses the Xanbus data bus, which is a cat5 communications bus that communicates with other devices so equipped. They also have an automatic generator start (not the old version without the data bus) that interfaces with any Xanbus device and communicates data regarding battery status, etc. That's the one I plan on getting once the RS3000 is on line. For more details check out the www.xantrex.com website. Winny has connections with Xanterx so they should have access to everything you need.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Well this turned out to be a simple process (unfortunately). The answer is: NO!

So what I have to do is to rip out the new Dimensions inverter and sell it on eBay and install what I want

What a shame.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #5

John your ambitions are going to cost you all your warranty. The electrical system in the coach is Winnebago designed and secured. I don't understand what you want to gain. Onan has an auto gen start available. Maybe you should talk to them before you put yourself out side the warranty envelope.

I can tell you from our personal experience, warranty issues that become product liability problems aren't addressed as they should be.

Tomcat F15
Old 03-05-2005, 02:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi Tomcat,

I hear what you are saying about taking a Winny installed product out of the coach.. For sure the responsibility of troubleshooting and repair will shift to me for the inverter/charger. That is a trade-off though I am willing to accept. I am very astute about electronics and electrics and years ago at the start of my career with AT&T I used to troubleshoot and repair complex systems for a living.

I have been looking over the Winny wiring diagrams, the Xantrex and Dimensions install instructions, and it actually looks like changing out inverters wouldn't be too difficult.

The Dimensions (interter) remote panel uses 8 conductor cable - probably RJ45 like ethernet and so does Xantrex.

Actually if I install the new inverter and auto gen start, I will gain an intimate awareness of the product; much more so than just reading a manual on a Winny installed piece of equipment.

Cheers,

John

Old 03-05-2005, 04:36 AM   #7

Hey John,

It sounds like your more then qualified to handle the task and you'll need it.

I was talking with Nick Klein from Xantrex last night about your project and he asked me to ask you to call him 800-446-6180 and discuss what you want to do. He has some new products just coming to the market place that may just suite your application much better.

If your going to blow your warranty, you might as well do the job big time and with the lastest & greatest.

Tomcat F15
Old 03-05-2005, 06:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks - I will call him next week. I was going to review my situation with Xantrex anyway - now I have a name.

This project won't come to fruition until about June when we expect the coach to come in (we are planning on ordering it Monday after next.) Maybe the new product will be out by then.

John

Old 03-05-2005, 07:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

John,
WINNIE's wiring may not be all that complex for you, but if they mess up their simple wiring specs themselfs it would be under Winnies warranty for time, money an effort not yours. A few months wait, while you plan a setup for sys you want. Just a thought from old NYNEX BUS SYS PE. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hey 007 - "Bell-head Buddy"! What a long way things have come with ma bell. I started with SW Bell, went to AT&T at divesture, took early retirement in 1998. Now AT&T is owned by SW Bell (SBC) - my how things change!

I'm really not too concerned about electrical troubleshooting being on Winny's nickle for a year. I completly rewired my 40 foot boat - 12v and 120v and I knew the systems intimately - and that's a good thing (as Martha Stewart would say!)

Old 03-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hey John,

We took out the Dimensions unit as soon as we took delivery of the unit! We installed a Xantrex Prosine 2.0. It works so much better than the dimesions unit. We were not at all worried about the warranty, same as you, the new unit comes with it's own warranty. The swap out was a snap, like you thought it would be.

Right now we are in the process of changing the furnaces out with a hydronic hot water heating unit. This is a little trickier!!! But we love a project!

Good luck!!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

John, I see that you will not have any problem with what you intend to do. Most of us Bells wouldn't. Retired in 88 at 54, Nynex Bus Sys had problems over extended, went out of business two yrs after. After 36yrs said I had enough of this new bell sys. Enjoy your new project an rving. May see you down the road.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

007: It sounds like you and I got out when the gettin' was good!

Buck n' Jeff: Boy-oh-boy you have taken on a project with a Hydronic install. Can't wait to hear about it!

John

Old 10-18-2006, 06:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Hey, I know what you PRO"S do will be just fine.
Just wish I had the ability to do and understand everything you guys are talking about.
This old dog doesn't learn new tricks very well...Have fun
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

hello, i would just install the onan ec 30 and you can do it your self...works great could not live without it!
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:22 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

John, other than being financially able to do this project, what is driving your decision to move from a 2005 40 foot coach to an 2007 40 foot coach?

You seem to have it about where you want it. Are there livability issues? Performance?

I'm not gathering data to be critical. I have the bug to update our RV arrangement but can't seem to find the best combination of features to offset the exposure the 07 low sulphur fuel without moving to a 45 foot coach priced above half a million dollars.

Obviously, we've all learned enough through our ownership experiences to put together the next perfect coach. I would just like to know if would share your thought process.

Private email works for me also.

Jim

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Maybe we will have to start a Bell employee section. 32 yrs retired in '91 from Verizon which was the old Bell Atlantic which was the old NJ Bell.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:27 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ua40j:
John, other than being financially able to do this project, what is driving your decision to move from a 2005 40 foot coach to an 2007 40 foot coach?

You seem to have it about where you want it. Are there livability issues? Performance?

I'm not gathering data to be critical. I have the bug to update our RV arrangement but can't seem to find the best combination of features to offset the exposure the 07 low sulphur fuel without moving to a 45 foot coach priced above half a million dollars.

Obviously, we've all learned enough through our ownership experiences to put together the next perfect coach. I would just like to know if would share your thought process.

Private email works for me also.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim - not sure if you are directing this question to me . We do have our coach just about where we want it and have no plans to change. Now perhaps after a couple of more breakdowns Bob G. might want to swap his Essex for my Horizon but he would have to throw in a 'sweetener' to make the deal

If we could do it all over again, there is not much we would change with either the brand or model - we love the floor plan and the way the coach is outfitted now (by us and Winnebago.) When we switch to Load Range H tires on the front sometime in the future, that will eliminate my concern about being maxed out on the front axle weight.

We will be getting rid of the glass TV in the living room sometime in the near future and we will replace it with an LCD that can be swiveled for easier viewing at the table. Then the coach will be just about perfect - whoohoo!

Hey fellow Bell-head Capt Bud! I started with SW Bell- then AT&T- then my division was sold to IBM a year after I bailed out- then SW Bell bought the gutted AT&T - crazy world!

Old 10-19-2006, 04:30 AM   #19
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Would be interesting to have a "Bell" section. I retired from Southwestern Bell which turned into SBC which is now AT&T.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

John....I read your first message in this thread. It sounded like you were getting ready to do the ordering of a new coach.

Did I misunderstand that statement?

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote