Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Curtain question

I want to replace the factory windshield curtin. Looking at it, I don't know how to replace the factory hooks. They appear to be permanent, has any done this job, and how did you do it?
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

My hooks were like normal curtain hooks...so they basically pulled right out. We didn't replace the cutains, we just cleaned them and put them back up. I will tell you that if you don't reinstall the hooks correctly though the curtains will be uneven...and it will be noticeable, so take your time. Hope this helped.
ZephyrKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Would you share how you cleaned your curtains? I have a spot, by the drivers window and passanger window, that have gotten dirty from the screens. I do clean the screens weekly but when traveling with the window open the curtains are sucked into the screen. Thanks for cleaning suggestions as I have tried rug shampoo, mean green and simple green. I just soak a towel with cold water and solution and gently rub it on the curtains.....has not worked.
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The plastic slides on my Winnebago are sewn into the hem of the curtain. They pop off the metal track.

We put ours in the washing machine and took them out of the dryer when they were a little damp. After Lee ironed them they looked great.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Clay, thanks for the suggestion. Were your curtains the creased type and a bit stiff? Our 2002 Itasca Horizon has this type. I have to cut occassional "strings" from the bottom of the shades and am a little afraid that a washing machine will cause them to fray more. I await your response.

Thanks so much,
Old 10-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
Clay, thanks for the suggestion. Were your curtains the creased type and a bit stiff? Our 2002 Itasca Horizon has this type. I have to cut occassional "strings" from the bottom of the shades and am a little afraid that a washing machine will cause them to fray more. I await your response.

Thanks so much,
Ours are not pleated but someone with the pleated type posted that they had washed theirs and did not lose the pleats.

FWIW we are planning on having the motorized remote controlled MCD American Duo shades in stalled in the windshield area next spring. We have them in the rest of the coach and like them a lot so far. American Duo Day/Night Shade System
Old 10-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Clay, what do I have to loose? They are coming off as soon as I am done typing and into the washer on gentle.....out of the dryer before they are completely dry. The automatic shades are great but not something I want. I very rarely close our shades/curtain because I love the light getting in and viewing the outside when we are inside. I only close them when it is cold outside. We spend the winter along the Gulf Coast and it sure was cold last year. Good luck with your new shades next year and I will post the washing machine outcome for those who need the info.

Be well and THANKS again.........Mary Ann
Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I washed the original blue ones in my Bounder and they came out great... Then I bought a used set that came out of a DP.. cut the length down, sowed them up.. through them in the washer and dryer... had to iron the pleats, kind of a pain, but they look great!!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I found out that the type of pleated curtains that I have do not wash well. The bottom unravels throwing off the threads that need to be trimmed. The material does not iron well as I had to use a wet towel to re-press the pleats. Nothing ventured nothing gained is my motto. The curtains are now clean but I think I will check the surplus stores when we are back in Elkhart next spring. I have always hated them BECAUSE of the material and unraveling problem and the fact that they hold the dust that turns into dirty streaks.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My husband did research (not only is he my own personal Rube Goldberg but also my Internet Guru) and found RV Windshield Pleated Wraps and guess where the shop is...Elkhart Indiana.....unitedshade.com and they have everything under the sun. Hope it helps..... By the way I am washing the curtains again today. I put starch in the final rinse this time. I will let them dry in the sun completely and see what I have to do to them. Went into the washer with all loose threads trimmed..we will see.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE: This was important to me and I was successful. OK it was rough the first washing because of the unraveling of the "threads" so here is what I did for second washing.
I have been Rube Goldberg's assistant for 43 years. I "work" alongside of him by getting tools he needs, keeping them organized, and learning what parts names are so I can get them and hand them to him. I can change a DP gas filter if need be and now I can wash Pleated RV Windshield Wraps.
1. Remove screws that hold "curtains" to wall. (there is a plastic strap on center snap/screw)
2. Remove "curtains" from hanging J hooks. (slide straight up then tilt to the back and lift off)
3. Remove the plastic strips in the ends of curtains. (I had to make a small slice on the top back of the "curtain" to slip this piece out)
4. Now here is the tricky part.....(you need to clip ALL loose threads, THEN take care of the velcro pieces that "hold" the "curtains" together when they are in open position. THEN on the barbed end of velcro stick a piece of fluffy material to it. If you don't this is what "caught" the threads on the first washing that I had to trim off)
5. Wash in gentle, cold water with small amount of detergent and I put 2 cups of liquid starch into final rinse.
6. Take out of the washer gently. There were a few loose threads stuck to the pricky velcro where a piece of the above fluffy material came off. Not bad this time and just a little triming and lots of patience solved the problem.
7. Rehang in motorhome. I just reversed how I took them down. I did not do the clothes line because the motorhome is sitting in the sun and I want to dry them where they sit. Put a small space heater aimed at them to help drying.
8. ALL the stains along the pleats came off however the biggest stain, on the passengers side that gets pulled into the screen when traveling with an open window has a SLIGHTLY darker shade to it. The washing did remove dirt but I might have done this myself when trying to clean by hand.

Bottom Line, I am happy with the results and we will see how they dry with regards to the pleats. But all looks well now.

"Curtains" it's over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Mary Ann