Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2003, 03:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Cummins gurus I'd appreciate your input regarding refilling the fuel/water separator on the ISB engine.
Prior to owning the Journey (see Sig.), my only other Cummins powered vehicle was an '01 Ram. The Ram owners manual did a great job with engine maint. but the MH owners manual does not include some of the finer points of changing or h2o draining the fuel/h2o filter.
I would prefill the RAM fuel filter canister about 3/4 with fuel. Then, I simply "bumped" the key several times (allowing the fuel pump to run for several seconds each "bump") which "topped off" the filter. Unless you folks tell me something different, I intend to fill the fuel filter canister with fuel, however, does "bumping" the key have the same effect as with the RAM or is that unnecessary?
As with all diesels we should be draining the fuel/h2o Sep. at each fill up. So far I have not seen any noticable amount of water in the fuel. How much fuel should we be draining? And, does turning the key on refill the filter canister?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Tagalong
p.s. I'll also be posting this on the motorhome web site.

2003 34H Journey, Demco "Excalibar" Tow Bar and PT Cruiser
Old 08-08-2003, 03:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Cummins gurus I'd appreciate your input regarding refilling the fuel/water separator on the ISB engine.
Prior to owning the Journey (see Sig.), my only other Cummins powered vehicle was an '01 Ram. The Ram owners manual did a great job with engine maint. but the MH owners manual does not include some of the finer points of changing or h2o draining the fuel/h2o filter.
I would prefill the RAM fuel filter canister about 3/4 with fuel. Then, I simply "bumped" the key several times (allowing the fuel pump to run for several seconds each "bump") which "topped off" the filter. Unless you folks tell me something different, I intend to fill the fuel filter canister with fuel, however, does "bumping" the key have the same effect as with the RAM or is that unnecessary?
As with all diesels we should be draining the fuel/h2o Sep. at each fill up. So far I have not seen any noticable amount of water in the fuel. How much fuel should we be draining? And, does turning the key on refill the filter canister?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Tagalong
p.s. I'll also be posting this on the motorhome web site.

Old 08-08-2003, 08:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

My 99 Adventurer has the Cummins ISB. I change both fuel filters (cannister filter on engine and spin-on fuel/water sep. on remote location). The spin-on fuel/water seperator, I fill with fresh fuel before installing. The cannister filter on engine is a little more hastle. There is a lever on the side to drain excess fuel out of filter, however, mine once stuck open, even when I thought it was closed and gave me fits, trying to restart engine. When you lift the valve to drain, make sure it shuts off fuel flow, when you close it. If everything goes good, engine should self-prime and start right up. If it doesn't, you will have to prime it by turning key on, but not to start. You will hear fuel pump run for a few seconds. Do this several times, then try to start it. If you don't drain out too much fuel, this will not happen! Live and learn!!

Dale Tomlinson
Beautiful Black Hills of SD
99 Adventurer DP
03 Acura MDX toad

Beautiful Black Hills of SD
Dale Tomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 12:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Dale,
Thanks for your reply. You're the third person to mention a second fuel filter on the 5.9. I am familiar with the RAM 5.9 fuel filter which is exactly what you described and I changed it numerous times with no starting problems. So far the only fuel/water separator I've been able to see is the remote filter at the rear. I'll just have to check it out again and perhaps call Cummins. However, I've been told there were some changes made to the 300 hp ISB 5.9. I've got a few more miles to go before I change the oil and filters. I'm hovering around 6K miles and the Cummins manual says 15K oil changes! I'll be completing the first oil change well before that.
Thanks again,
Tagalong

Old 09-25-2005, 06:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Anyone know the filter numbers for oil and fuel on thr 1999 ISB 5.9
Thanks

https://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Filter info for my 1999 34' Model WKG34VP:

Filter Fleet Guard NAPA WIX
Fuel/Water FS19519 3408 33408
Fuel SS1261 * 3585 33585
Oil LF3729 7028 57028

* May be FS1261

I don't have the tranny fluid filter number and it is not one you have to change as often as the above.

To be safe, I suggest you call Freightliner and speak with a tech and give then you chassis VIN and ask them to verify the OEM filters profile. Some ISB-powered coaches were equipped with different filters and I originally went with filters as stated Winnebago's Owner Relations Department and had to exchange them for the ones that fit my coach.

1999 Adventurer, WKG34V-DP
MDCalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

if you have a cummins go to there web site and you register your vec
they have part numbers for your coach
manuals everything
aragu36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Tagalong: I have the 300 ISB and if yours is like mine you have two filters. The remote one in the rear and a much smaller fuel filter on the frame rail located near the rear air bag, passenger side of frame, if I remember right. The small one is a bit of pain to replace and my Cummins service center say it only needs replaced every few years unlike the larger one which I replace every 9 months or sooner. I carry extra filters as well just in case. Hope that helps
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Without a doubt, do as MD Calvert suggests, and call Freightliner. Do not waste your time with Winny when it comes to chassis, engine, transmission or suspension. Give them your last six of your VIN and they can give you all the information you need. 800 FTL-HELP.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Tagalong, The small filter in the fuel line is in the inside of the frame rail just above the axle area on the passenger side. It is a real pain to change and Freightliner advises to change it every 12000 miles. I do my own maintenance whenever possible and do change it according to Freightliner's recomendation. Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote