Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2006, 04:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I've recently purchased an '06 Itasca Meridian 39K with a 350 Caterpillar on a Freightliner chassis. My question is, does anyone with a familiar unit having any problems with the cruise control maintaining speed on uphill grades or even simple interstate over passes? Mine loses approximately 4 to 5 mph on these types of road conditions and I'm thinking that it's not working as it should. I'm planning on checking with the local Freightliner dealer as soon as I have time.

2007 Mini Cooper "S" Conv.
ep35rja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've recently purchased an '06 Itasca Meridian 39K with a 350 Caterpillar on a Freightliner chassis. My question is, does anyone with a familiar unit having any problems with the cruise control maintaining speed on uphill grades or even simple interstate over passes? Mine loses approximately 4 to 5 mph on these types of road conditions and I'm thinking that it's not working as it should. I'm planning on checking with the local Freightliner dealer as soon as I have time.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum!

We have the ISL 400hp and going up 5 or 6% grades on Interstates (we're cruising along at 65 mph when we start up the hill) we will usually only lose one or two mph while on cruise control. If we are on secondary roads and and only doing 50 mph and going up a steep grade, then we might lose 5 mph.

Depends on a lot of factors - wind direction, your gross combined weight, the momentum, the grade, etc.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:48 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for your question, looks like you've already received one answer and I'm sure there will be a few more folks "weigh in" as well...

Having just returned from one "really long" trip to Iowa and now another shorter trip to PA,with some hill driving in both, I "second" John's assessment....

My cruise control does in fact drop a few MPH as it does in my opinion depend not only on coach loading and whether or not you're pulling a toad,but the wind as well...

Again....welcome to the forum.....thanks for placing your rig inforamtion in your posts,as it will help you receive the "specific" answer to your rig conditions in most cases.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have the same power package and my experience is similiar. One of your manuals (I'm thinking Freightliner) notes that it is delivered in "soft cruise" mode which does exactly as you describe in order to save fuel. You should also see it going above the set speed on even mild downgrades - again part of the programming. They can set it to a hard cruise mode, but it will probably cost you fuel mileage.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have the same power package and my experience is similiar. One of your manuals (I'm thinking Freightliner) notes that it is delivered in "soft cruise" mode which does exactly as you describe in order to save fuel. You should also see it going above the set speed on even mild downgrades - again part of the programming. They can set it to a hard cruise mode, but it will probably cost you fuel mileage.

Tom

'04 Journey 36G - Cat C7
'04 Honda CR-V </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply. Yes mine does increase speed on a down grade if I have the pac brake off. I suspected what you said about soft and hard settings so I may leave well enough alone. My mileage has been steady improving but I've also slowed down so I believe that has had a lot to do with it. I've already put about 6,000 miles in less than 3 months.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi again - I was wrong about one thing. The discussion of soft cruise is in the CAT manual. Page 86 in mine - your newer one may be different but probably nearby. Enjoy...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

ep35rja,

We have pretty much the same rig - see my sig - The responses you have are right on. I have not really studied the engineering very much of the cruise control but I think it is tied more to RPM than to actual speed. I can watch my TripTech and set my cruise to a specific speed and the RPM will often be different from the day before. It will depend on wind speed and direction, temperature, road conditions, weight, and a lot of other factors. Actually I have found that I get my best economy at about 1750 RPM and the speed will vary from about 63 to 67, depending on conditions.

I am from your area. Where did you get your Meridian?

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ep35rja,

We have pretty much the same rig - see my sig - The responses you have are right on. I have not really studied the engineering very much of the cruise control but I think it is tied more to RPM than to actual speed. I can watch my TripTech and set my cruise to a specific speed and the RPM will often be different from the day before. It will depend on wind speed and direction, temperature, road conditions, weight, and a lot of other factors. Actually I have found that I get my best economy at about 1750 RPM and the speed will vary from about 63 to 67, depending on conditions.

I am from your area. Where did you get your Meridian?

Adrian & Barbara
2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Little Yellow Mini Cooper </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We purchased it from Berryland in the Ponchatoula/Hammond area.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Same place this one came from.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote