Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Crash!

I took my motorhome in at 9:30am to drop it off for the floor and the two bays to be worked on. While I was there one of the service writers came to me and said come out here to the lot. Well, one of their guys backed up my MH into a trailer hitch on a SUV and messed up the bottom fiberglass bumper. They said it would be fixed. I'm not happy about this at all.
Forzatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I wouldn't be either. Are they qualified to repair it ? You should have the option to take it to a repair facility of your choice.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Stuff happens and I am sure they did not do it on purpose.

I am with Cliff on the bumper. I would also ask that the bay work be compted.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I, personally, would report it to MY insurance company and make a claim. This would at least assure that the work would be warrantied.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
I, personally, would report it to MY insurance company and make a claim. This would at least assure that the work would be warrantied.
Even if an insurance claim is filed, insurers do not warrant repair work. That's between the vehicle owner and the repair shop.

The owner has the right to go to a repairer of their choosing, the insurance company only deals with the repairer to get an agreed price to repair.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I would take it to where I want it fixed at their expense. That is why they have insurance!

Get the name of their insurance company and then contact yours.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
Even if an insurance claim is filed, insurers do not warrant repair work. That's between the vehicle owner and the repair shop.

The owner has the right to go to a repairer of their choosing, the insurance company only deals with the repairer to get an agreed price to repair.

It may be different State to State or insurance company to insurance company but if I bring my vehicle to a repair facility that's on my insurance companies approved list , they guarantee the work.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
It may be different State to State or insurance company to insurance company but if I bring my vehicle to a repair facility that's on my insurance companies approved list , they guarantee the work.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post

I just googled it as well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433465793.690935.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	96211

Old 06-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

That's the Nobody Gives a [Moderator Edit] anymore, not like it used to be....
Old 06-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
That's not how it works.

Quote:
Most insurance companies have repair contracts with body shops in your area. Choosing the insurance company’s repair shop has benefits for the insurance company, which has negotiated lower labor and material rates, as well as parts discounts with those shops. The shop will have met the insurance company’s equipment and training requirements. Insurance companies will also require their shop to provide a lifetime warranty.
As an adjuster, I've dealt with "approved shops" for 36 years. The insurer can "suggest" going to an approved shop, but cannot force anyone to do so. The shop has to provide the warranty, not the insurer. It would open them up to a myriad of problems re: workmanship. That's a can of worms they avoid.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I report any accident to my own insurance company. They are supposed to be your advocate to see that repairs are done to your satisfaction and that the other guy pays.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
That's not how it works.

As an adjuster, I've dealt with "approved shops" for 36 years. The insurer can "suggest" going to an approved shop, but cannot force anyone to do so. The shop has to provide the warranty, not the insurer. It would open them up to a myriad of problems re: workmanship. That's a can of worms they avoid.
I am going through some repairs on my vehicle suffered from hail damage. My adjuster said to me I can go to the approved repair facility and the insurance company itself will guarantee the work is done to my satisfaction. If I went with this other guy they recommended (not a full service shop), my guarantee would have to be negotiated directly with that person. This is in Connecticut.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Give them a break! It was an accident and they owned up to it and will repair it. If they said they didn't do it then I'd be upset. Be thankful for an honest facility. Count your blessings.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Ok they know how to do the repairs, we just have to wait and see what it looks like.
Forzatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamole View Post
Give them a break! It was an accident and they owned up to it and will repair it. If they said they didn't do it then I'd be upset. Be thankful for an honest facility. Count your blessings.
I agree,don't forget it was you who took it to them and felt comfortable about having other work done.I commend their honesty.

Or get the insurance company and the FBI involved. Sheesh enough all ready what is wrong with this stupid world we live in? Oh I forgot maybe the local sheriff and the clergy should be involved.
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:04 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamole View Post
X2 Ditto on the shops honesty and sincerity! Give them the opportunity to make it right.

It's alright to be upset that it happened. Get all the details of what they are going to do and by whom. Check out the body repair shop. I'd still advise your insurer so they are aware of the incident in case they need to get involved.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote