Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Just discover a crack in the MH skin running from the front corner of the rear slid downward to the trim piece.
Any body else have this problem?
Old 09-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just discover a crack in the MH skin running from the front corner of the rear slid downward to the trim piece.
Any body else have this problem?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 AM   #3
Jim
Winnebago Owner

can't see your picture but i have a crack that runs from the front corner of the rear slide at about a 45 degree angle down to the trim about 1 1/2 inch long..i noticed it about 3 years ago when it was about 1/2"long and a repair shop told me it was normal and not a problem..i skimmed it with a sealer to prevent water entry..jim
Old 09-11-2006, 03:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I experienced the exactly same hair-line crack in front corner of bedroom slide just before 3 year sidewall warranty expired. Checked with a friend that owns a collision shop that works on motorhomes he refused to work on it said he could not quarantee the repair based on previous jobs. Took it to Forest City they did a professional job on the repair and it looked great but same hairline crack re-appeared just after the 90 day warranty ran out. I did not call Winnebago back on the crack will just live with it and did seal it with a clear sealer.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:53 AM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

My coach was 5 months old when I discovered the crack. It was at the bottom front corner of the bedroom slide traveling towards the front of the coach at a downwards angle about 8 inches long.(not a hairline crack but a deep one) It was repaired twice by Winnebago. My concern was what happens if this comes back in 5 years where do I stand. Winnebago gave me a letter that states that if the crack comes back they would repair it as long as I am the owner. Well last week it came back. Its about 2 inches long at the same spot. I have an appointment in Nov. for another repair. I wonder if the lemon law applies to this stuff!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

new picture
Old 09-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have the same MH. Where is this crack? Cannot tell from your pic.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It is under the front corner of the rear slide. Have you contacted Winnibago? Just like I wrote in the first post.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Looks like my pictures taken early 2004, 2 days after delivery. I had a # of postings on the Open Roads /RV.net forum. I can no longer find them, I think the site had a problem & lost a bunch of info. Anyway, I found this in my private messages between myself & another "crack victom" .

----Original Message-----
Sent: 10/28/04 01:06pm
Subject: RE: Your Sidewall Crack in RV NET

No further problems. They REPLACED my sidewall at the factory. As I was worried about future problems, I have in writing any further problems with EITHER sidewall will be covered for life, (mine)as long as I own the coach. While at factory I saw another Vectra 40AD where the same crack was repaired THREE times in a week +, each time the next day the crack returned. Owners were going to bring coach back after the big WIT rally & have sidewall replaced. Trade for new coach was not an option as none w/ same color & options were available. Also all coaches made after Jan 2004 would have the new ISL Cummins eng to meet smog reg. More things to go wrong & a lot more $$$. I will be adding the Banks Eng Power Pack to mine at year end. More power & torque the the new engine & less $$$.
Winnebago did okay by me & at this time I would buy again in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 10/28/04 06:42am
Subject: Your Sidewall Crack in RV NET

I just came across the posts in RV.NET ref your wall crack. I am curious to find out if there been any further problems? I have an 02 Journey 39QD with the same problem. Mine cracked after I had the coach 6 months we bought it new. Winnie fixed it twice. Its been nearly 2 yrs, so far its ok they gave me a letter stating that as long as I own the coach they would fix it if it comes back. I contemplated going to a lawyer when it was first observed but I opted to let Winnie try to make good on it. Numerous people told me to ask for a new coach but its easier said than done.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have seen similar where the cross member hidden in the basement just behind the rear wheels has started to buckle. The cross member goes over the truck chassis and extends to each sidewall and will start to ripple and then tear where it passes over the frame rails. I would be concerned of a more deep seated problem.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the replys. It is probably a delamination problem. Evidently they a lot of problems with the 2002 models Some the fixed and stayed fixed. Some other owners were not so lucky. Have not found out any thing from the factory yet. Will post when I do. Thanks again for the interest. Ben
Old 09-14-2006, 07:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I talked to Winnebago this morning and the person I talked with acted as if this is very unusual. When I told him I had several replies on the forum of the same problem most the same year, he admitted that it some times happens. Bottom line is they won't do any thing to help repair it. Not sure where will go with it now Thank you all for your replies.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:01 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My brother a body shop man says you can continue to repair that crack but it will most likely return unless you fix why it is flexing...

good luck
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have no doubt that is true. Winnnebago replaced the whole side on some units. They are aware that they screwed up on the 2002 models. I guess they play the odds, if the unit gets though the warranty period than the owner is out of luck.
This was my second winnebago and my last.