Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

The biggest problem i have is remembering to take it out of the MH before the MH has to head back to the shop. (MH spends more time in shop than at home, so if i forget it i have to wait till shop reopens before i can get it)

It's a 120 volt system so no problem. I understand that you can get aDC power supply foe traveling but haven't gotten one yet. Check with you supplier and get the 120 ac system...I think once you try the system you'll find yoursel alot more rested...so will the DW as you're snoring will almost go away.

Good luck with the CPAP.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

I have had a 12v outlet installed in the last 2 motorhome beside my bed. I purchased a 12v cord from my cpap machine sales office. Both have worked satisfactorily for years while dry camping. I switch cords when hooked to shore power although I could probably just continue using the cord & 12v outlet safely. Just don't want to take chances with $1500.00 machines.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I used the C-PAP for about 3 years and then lost 40 pounds and now don't need it. I understand that this works for many people. Of course losing the weight is not easy. I hated using the C-PAP, but admit I did feel better the next day.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

My wife and I both use CPAP machines by Resperoncs, Remstar Pro and ?, both have 12volt capibility. I have 12v adapters for both machines. They are placed in the overhead cabinets and have not presented any problems. Make sure you clean the filters regularly and un -plug them when not in use. I had a 12v outlet put on my motorhome and have an inverter as back up. We have a rustic country place with out electric and use our CPAPs on 12v off of two type 29 12v batteries. They will last 3-4 days. I do have back up solar, 20amp and a small generator to charge the batteries with a charger. You wil not have a working humidifier on 12v, but it has never presented a problem for us. If you try and use the CPAP with the heater turned on with an inverter you will draw way more amps, so I would advise against an inverter and humidifier for extended dry camping. I have been on a CPAP for 13 years and my wife for about 10 years. I even use it for naping I am not over weight (5'9" 167) I also hace a TAP oral appliance that holds my jaw forward and will almost bring me in to compliance. If this is interesting to you, find a dentist that specializes in maxiofacial/TMJ and he should be able to fit you. They are not cheap if you are not on Medicare or have a good health plan,but they don't need volts and may bring you into compliance. Stay away from the throat operations. They didn't work for me and have other undesirable consequences. Good luck and stick with the CPAP
2005 Winnebago VOYAGE 31W
1998 Ford Ranger XLT w/ Toneau
CardinalNVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the advice ALL of you!

The Resperonics CPAP machine that I'll be getting does have a 12V tap for the humidifier...I'll try without it first and if I need the heater, I'll find a way to use it.

It sounds like the best option is to install a 12V outlet near the bed. I'll work on that. In the mean time, I'll grab one of the spare batteries that I have and run it off of that.

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

When we had the trailer, my significant other had a Resperonics, so I hooked up a 12v outlet and and plugged in a small inverter and it worked fine for her. 2 12 volt batteries didn't have any problem keeping it going all night.

Then I was diagnosed as needing one. I started with a GoodKnight, but the blasted thing wouldn't work for more than 6 months or so without breaking. And eventually nobody in town carried them and the factory wouldn't accept it from me directly. So I got Resperonics' new model, the one which senses you breathing out and drops the pressure (forget what they call it). Wow, what a differance. Now I almost never wake up with mask leaks. The motor home does not have 12v outlets, but I could easily add them (mine runs off 12v directly). Its just that we never boondock in the motorhome, so I haven't got around to it.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I have a REMCO unit that operates on either 110 AC or 12 DC. Operate it on 12 VDC when dry camping. Never had a problem.
Dave & Jo's Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote