Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

We have just purchased a Chieftain 35U that we would like to cover. Has anyone had any experience with Coverking Presidium covers? COSTCO is advertising them right now, and I have not found any good info on them. Cabela's also carries them. I was also wondering if anyone knows if they have an opening for easy door access? There is nothing in the description about any of the details. We live in Minnesota, so our unit will be exposed to all elements. We are hoping to build a shelter in the near future, but would like to protect it for the time being. If anyone has any recommendations they would be greatly appreciated!
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We have just purchased a Chieftain 35U that we would like to cover. Has anyone had any experience with Coverking Presidium covers? COSTCO is advertising them right now, and I have not found any good info on them. Cabela's also carries them. I was also wondering if anyone knows if they have an opening for easy door access? There is nothing in the description about any of the details. We live in Minnesota, so our unit will be exposed to all elements. We are hoping to build a shelter in the near future, but would like to protect it for the time being. If anyone has any recommendations they would be greatly appreciated!
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

J.C.

Welcome

Keeping your rig covered will surely keep it from weathering which will make the outside easier to take care of & will make a big difference when it comes time to trade it in.

While, we don't have the cover you are talking about, but we did cover ours for the first time this year (previously we stored at a facility inside, but didn't get reservation in on time this year) with an ADCO AquaShed rv cover. For us, the cover was more bother than worth. As much as we tried to forsee edges that would poke through it & pad them, we've got at least four 3" holes in ours where the awning toppers are. The winds were really bad this year & there was just no way to keep all the edges, even the blunt ones, from working through the cover in several areas. I've also heard others say that the winds can cause the covers to rub paint & roof areas (no matter how well tied down) & can promote mold even with the "breatheable" covers. Our rig is stored over an hour away from us, so we won't know the status of our paint/roof until we uncover it in about a month.

Ours does have several zippered access points & when placed in the right areas of the coach, provided easy access to the entry door & bay doors.

We are currently pricing motorhome ports. Indoor rented storage in our area is quite expensive & many places contract for no less than 6 months whether you store for that long or not. Running the numbers, for the price of a few seasons of rented storage we can get a built port that'll last.

I suppose any cover is better than none. Hopefully, other members will chime in on their experiences with rv covers.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I don't have the RV cover, but I do have 4 CoverKing covers for our ATVs and I'm very impressed by the quality. I bought them from Costco online, you might check with them on your cover too as the pricing they offered beat the CoverKing online price.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You asked for recommendations, so...

Since you are planning to build a shelter for the motorhome anyway, I would save my money and spend it on the shelter. It won't weather all that much uncovered before the shelter is built. Covers are a big hassle, and while they may protect the coach to some extent, they can also cause damage to the paint and other damage by retaining moisure under the cover.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I've used covers on my prior C class and on the cruiser. I agree, it is a hassle. I only put it on when the MH is going to be parked more then 3 or 4 weeks, but I also live in So. Ca. and we don't have the extreme weather you have.

Removing the cover isn't the problem; it's putting it on, especially if you have back problems. You have to work out a system. What I do is tie a rope to the front end of the cover, get up on the roof then just pull it up and over the MH. Drop the front end first, then the sides and lastly the rear as I get down the ladder. I can do it quite quickly.

I have identified the areas where something might poke thru and covered with tennis ball or small rubber balls depending on size. That's kept ripping of the cover to a minimum. Since I don't keep the cover on for too long I don't have problems with chafing. I also wash and wax the areas exposed to chaffing.

To sum it up I think it makes sense if you're willing to spend money and energy keeping the MH looking good and it's your only option.

Good luck
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I totally agree with FAKRWEE and I do the same procedure he does. It works very well and takes very little time. I have had no chafing of paint. One draw back for some will be the solar charger will not work with a cover. I installed float chargers, they work better any way. Your wax job, decals and general exterior condition will stay much better covered.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote