Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Considering A 2004 Jouney 36G C7 330hp

Hello
Considering buying a 2004 Journey 36G with the C7 330hp Cat engine. I see some folks have had troubles with the C7 Fan hub bearing. Not sure if this is a wide spread problem or just a few. Any other issues? Nice coach but don't need trouble.
Thanks
colemole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

colemole, I have a 2004 Itasca Meridian, which is the same set up as the Journey. It is the best most troublefree Coach I have ever owned. I have just short of 80,000 mile without ANY problems. Another thing is the Winnebago tech service line, they are very helpful and can give you any information about your Motorhome. I have heard about the fan hub bearing but never had a problem with it myself. I would think that there were not very many failures for the amount of Cat engines that are on the road. I hope this helps !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

colemole, I have the same model and engine you're considering. I have had zero problems with the drivetrain. Like Chuck, I have heard of the hub bearing failures, but have no idea how widespread the problem is. I'm sure you'll hear about every failure, but not the ones that have worked perfectly. I know there are a ton of C7s out there in service, so if it is a big problem, I think we would have heard even more about it. Just an opinion based on my experience, but I feel the C7 and Allison 3000MH are as smooth and bullet proof as any drivetrain out there.

We really like the 36G floorplan. It's very well balanced, drives and handles great.

You probably know this, but be sure to check tires and batteries. If either are original, you'll probably have to replace them soon.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Colemole,
Our RV had 11,000mi when we bought it and after 2 years has 35,000mi. We have had no significant problems but have had minor issues as all coaches seem to have.

Very good: engine, transmission, electrical, 8.4mpg, power, minimal tire wear. gas and electric heater, A/C, plumbing, refrigerator, exterior and paint, awnings, easily pulls towed car, chasis, power conversion and distribution (chargers, inverter, shore and generator power), no problem with hub

satisfactory: steering & handling (added koni shocks, MCI control units, Safe-T-Plus)

needed attention:
1. odor from uncapped drain pipe intended for washer
2. radiator degrease and clean once every 10K mi (maintenance item)
3. extended engine oil breather tube beyond rear to reduce radiator grease buildup
4. unglued front hood and rear grills and side panels in rear and rear panel
5. black and gray water tank internal sensors not reliable even after cleaning (replaced with external sensors)
6. propane tank leak due to crack at mounting bracket
7. sliding pantry door latch needed repair
8. sanyo convection over needed damper motor replaced
9. water pump vibration needed repair
10. front A/C went out
11. backup video camera needed to be replaced
12. disk/VHS player went out
13. difficult to fill gas tank (both car and truck nozzles shut off for high gas flow) still have not solved this one
14. built-in hand held 2way radio (built-in chargers failed even with new batteries)
15. added xantrex echo charger to charge engine battery from shore power
16. fog light switch or relay went out

Overall we are very happy with our RV and I have come to appreciate that an RV like a house needs regular maintenance. This forum has been very helpful to me. I am very satisfied with overall performance of the major items and I would buy our coach again. Our dogs also approve. Hope this helps.

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H, CAT C7 330 HP
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

thanks

Thanks for your comments. Appreciate the help
Colemole
colemole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
Colemole,
Our RV had 11,000mi when we bought it and after 2 years has 35,000mi. We have had no significant problems but have had minor issues as all coaches seem to have.

Very good: engine, transmission, electrical, 8.4mpg, power, minimal tire wear. gas and electric heater, A/C, plumbing, refrigerator, exterior and paint, awnings, easily pulls towed car, chasis, power conversion and distribution (chargers, inverter, shore and generator power), no problem with hub

satisfactory: steering & handling (added koni shocks, MCI control units, Safe-T-Plus)

needed attention:
1. odor from uncapped drain pipe intended for washer
2. radiator degrease and clean once every 10K mi (maintenance item)
3. extended engine oil breather tube beyond rear to reduce radiator grease buildup
4. unglued front hood and rear grills and side panels in rear and rear panel
5. black and gray water tank internal sensors not reliable even after cleaning (replaced with external sensors)
6. propane tank leak due to crack at mounting bracket
7. sliding pantry door latch needed repair
8. sanyo convection over needed damper motor replaced
9. water pump vibration needed repair
10. front A/C went out
11. backup video camera needed to be replaced
12. disk/VHS player went out
13. difficult to fill gas tank (both car and truck nozzles shut off for high gas flow) still have not solved this one
14. built-in hand held 2way radio (built-in chargers failed even with new batteries)
15. added xantrex echo charger to charge engine battery from shore power
16. fog light switch or relay went out

Overall we are very happy with our RV and I have come to appreciate that an RV like a house needs regular maintenance. This forum has been very helpful to me. I am very satisfied with overall performance of the major items and I would buy our coach again. Our dogs also approve. Hope this helps.

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H, CAT C7 330 HP
Jim, I have a 2006 Journey and when filling my fuel tank I need to turn the fuel nozzel to the side in order to get the pump to fill on high fuel flow.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Sammie;Jim, I have a 2006 Journey and when filling my fuel tank I need to turn the fuel nozzel to the side in order to get the pump to fill on high fuel flow.

Sammie

When I got my coach I streightened out some of the curves in the fill hose and re routed the filler vent hose to above the fill hose. Big change.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Sammie, Chuck,
I have to do the same thing. Hold the nozzle sideways but still I can never get high flow.
Chuck, can you tell us more about how you straightened out the flow path. I would really like to see some pics also if you have them. Let us know how you solved this terrible problem

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I don't have any pictures but if you look at the filler hose you can see how to make a more direct run from the filler neck to the tank. On mine the smaller vent pipe was actually hanging below the filler hose so that it trapped fuel in the vent hose, thereby choking off the filler vent.. I just moved it above the filler pipe. There is also a vent hose attached to the top of the fuel tank that can only be accessed from under the coach, Just reach up to the top of the tank and make sure th tank vent pipe in not pinched off.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have an '05 Journey 36G. It just past 51k miles. I put 15k miles on while gone for seven months this year. I love the thing. Did not intend it to be my ultimate rig but it may end up being that way.

I too have heard about fan hub failures. Seems they occur around 30k miles. Supposedly Gaffney check for bearing "slob" on M3 service (which I had done in April). Never had the lifters adjusted but am considering it at this time. Don't know why, but just considering it.

Do have your oil dipstick calibrated by a reliable place. Very carefully metered flow in. Then absolutely stick to the 19 qt. capacity. Will help tons on radiator issues.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Tom, thanks for comment on 19qt oil. Engine specs call for 22qt and that's what the dealer puts in. At this level I will get a thin film of oil on one side of toad. Will try 19qt next time.

Just had my valves adjusted at 36K mi only because I heard on the forum that would not be too early. Valves required a slight adjustment. I could not tell any difference in engine performance or power.

Chuck, thanks for your comment on fuel filler tubes. Will give it a try.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemole View Post
Hello
Considering buying a 2004 Journey 36G with the C7 330hp Cat engine. I see some folks have had troubles with the C7 Fan hub bearing. Not sure if this is a wide spread problem or just a few. Any other issues? Nice coach but don't need trouble.
Thanks
Here is an extensive thread on the Cat C7 bearing failures.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/c7-f...ure-77827.html

and several other threads here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1212697
Old 12-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
Tom, thanks for comment on 19qt oil. Engine specs call for 22qt and that's what the dealer puts in. At this level I will get a thin film of oil on one side of toad. Will try 19qt next time.

Just had my valves adjusted at 36K mi only because I heard on the forum that would not be too early. Valves required a slight adjustment. I could not tell any difference in engine performance or power.

Chuck, thanks for your comment on fuel filler tubes. Will give it a try.

22 qts is overfill for the CAT C7. CAT calls for 19 qts. Check the CAT web site or call the CAT help line. Your dealer is wrong.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

HI CM:

Winnie & Itasca 36G with

CAT C7... Allison Trannie... Freightliner Chassie... is about as bullet proof as you can get mechanical wise IMO.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We have 06 Meridian, coming up on 60,000 miles. Had hub bearing fail at 27,000. Other than that it has been pretty good. Might get new front tires this spring due to uneven wear. I also added the MCUs and Koni shocks, nice improvement. No problem with engine power pulling a Jeep Liberty or Chev Suburban. We get about 7.7 MPG on average.

There always things that require maintenance so just stay ahead of it. Change your fuel filters and air filter.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Smile Great Jouney

Jim & Debbie,

Our 2001 Journey 36GD is now 1 year old [to us]. Bought it a year ago drove to Florida and back without a problem. I can confirm all that has been addressed in the foregoing.

Suoer great coach in every way. Before you buy however try to get some new tires and batteries out of the dealer/owner. Your looking at about $3500.00 for these items and with coach 5-6 years old it probably needs all of the above.

As to the fan hub bearing, I do as much of my own maintenance as I can. That fan hub lub requires 6 wrists and 4 elbows, so the dealer does that. Not the one we bought it from. They turned out to be "Bummers"

If I were to buy another coach today, it would be a Journey. Would not even look at anything else. Never the less, I would set up a sinking fund of about $5000.00 for the "Just in case" stuff that is bound to come up. We pay that amount for taxes alone on our cabin, so MHing is cheap by comparison. With $5K set aside just for the coach, the repairs don't hurt quite as much.

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Another vote here for the Journey. Without a lot of 'fu - fu' it is a solid coach for the money. We got our's used in 2005 and had planned to 'trade-up' by now. However, based on how well it performs and a realistic view of the current economic environment, we decided to keep it and run the wheels off. We have 72,000 miles and have had no mechanical issues that have interrupted any trip. We have the C6 CAT with the lubeable fan hub so it gets a shot of grease when I am doing my annual radiator cleaning.

Any of these things will break. As previously noted, we also have a fund set aside for those items.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2004 Meridian 34H and have had a few of the afore-mentioned problems like the rear view camera going out. We also had the flexible kitchen sink drain hose "crimp" and leak just before where it goes into the holding tank. The current problem is the entire rear fiberglass cap is shifting away (toward the rear) of the coach. I can see unpainted white fiberglass about 1/4" to 3/8" wide to the rear of the vertical trim strip, where the rear cap is "fastened" to the sidewalls. Investigation revealed there are only fasteners at the very top and bottom of the cap, the rest is held in place by pressure exerted by the vertical trim strip. The worst area is just below the engine air intake. I believe the fix will be to remove the vinyl screw cover strip, loosen the screws, whack the cap a few times to drive it forward, and then re-tighten the screws. Many of the 2004 - 20005 Journeys and Meridians I have looked at appear to have the same problem.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

I'm also concerned about the fan bearing failing, which will put the fan into the radiator or shroud leaving you stranded right where it happens. Talked to a Cat tech last week and he confirmed they have replaced that bearing anywhere from 15,000 miles to 80,000 miles. And the replacement will run anywhere from $1,000-$2,000 assuming nothing is destroyed when the bearing fails. It may only occur in 1% of coaches on the road but I wouldn't want to be included in that 1%.
A water pump bearing goes out you lose antifreeze, an alternator bearing goes out you lose battery power, but this bearing is flirting with much damage. Scares me more than any other possible failure on a coach.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I'm also concerned about the fan bearing failing, which will put the fan into the radiator or shroud leaving you stranded right where it happens. Talked to a Cat tech last week and he confirmed they have replaced that bearing anywhere from 15,000 miles to 80,000 miles. And the replacement will run anywhere from $1,000-$2,000 assuming nothing is destroyed when the bearing fails. It may only occur in 1% of coaches on the road but I wouldn't want to be included in that 1%.
A water pump bearing goes out you lose antifreeze, an alternator bearing goes out you lose battery power, but this bearing is flirting with much damage. Scares me more than any other possible failure on a coach.

Wagonmaster2
The greaseable hub from the 3126 Cat's will fit the C7's...If it were me and I was that concerned, I would bite the bullet and change over...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote