Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hello,

We are looking to purchase a cover for our new coach. Can anyone give us some suggestions on covers, manufacture and model, that would be good for the Virginia region.

Thanks,
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hello,

We are looking to purchase a cover for our new coach. Can anyone give us some suggestions on covers, manufacture and model, that would be good for the Virginia region.

Thanks,
Old 01-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Adco Cover from Camping World

While I have provided the link for what I feel is a nice cover from Camping World,I'm not a fan of covering campers....
When I owned fifth wheels,I bought a cover and,aside from lugging the thing on the roof which is an exercize in itself,I was not happy with what I'll call it's "performance"....
It was an Adco fifth wheel cover,ordered for the length of my fifth wheel...While I bungied and tied it down just as instructed,I always had the fear that the wind "whipping" the cover against the paint finish of the RV was a "bad" thing....I am of the school of thought that,if you get a good coat of wax on your coach it'd do just fine in the elements.
Take the precautions recommended for "storing" your tires for long periods as well...

Just one opinion....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Me too...I am not a fan of covers...they are quite a chore to get up and over the r/v of any size. They rub on paint at corner from the wind. Also if you decide to use your coach when the cover is wet from rain or damp from the weather, what do you do with it because you want to dry it out before you store it?.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

After reading all of the replies that will appear on this forum, if you are still interested in a cover call Adco and ask their opinion. When they know what you are trying to accomplish and where you live they will give you good advice.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I concur with all the others. I have tried a cover, and after a couple of uses, it became too much of a hassle. I'm now looking at a shelter by shelter king. It requires a larger space, but in the long run, it will be much easier to deal with. If you are interested, go to www.shelterking.com

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Trace,that's a nice garage,but watch what you do with your height....Your "garage" is listed at 12'6" which I would imagine is the peak....
Your coach is listed at 12'3"...

All but negates even a real skinny fella from getting on your roof if they had to...
Old 01-29-2006, 05:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for your opinions. I would love to have a shelter, but that would require some major landscaping (trees out and fill and stone in).

Will saty open to suggestions.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hi Ron,
If there is any way you can find a spot for a shelter of some kind I think you will be glad you did. It is a job keeping your investment clean and protected. I had a poll barn with a metal roof built, side curtins, rear and front curtins made "heavy black fiberglass screen material" for me by a tent and awning company before I brought my Horizon home. It's not as pretty as some but it sure makes it nice to be able to wash and polish it when I want to. Good luck
Old 01-31-2006, 02:30 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

JimBob,thanks for the sdescription of your ple barn. I REALLY like that idea and was admiring your "building" in your pictures.
Sure beats lugging that cover up on the coach and/or worrying about the edges of the coach being "rubbed" by the wind.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Bob.

I posted a picture of it and like I said it all depends on the location you live in. I happen to have property in the country and the net shed is a few hundred yards from the house. It works great for me. I did see a post from a member on this site that has a very nice metal encloser for his rig. The key is if you can, keep it under cove. It takes too much work to clean and then let mother nature dump on it. Have a great day!
Old 02-02-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I park mine under a rv port and still use a Adco cover that I purchased from Camping World. I use the cover to protect from sunlight. The sun rays are not good for fiberglass. The sides of my rv port only come down on sides three feet and this allows lots of sun to hit the sides. My cover was easy to install.

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:25 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

There was a guy over on rv.net GIVING a cover away for a 34 footer....Said he'd used it like three times and was like new....
Old 02-03-2006, 07:46 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I cover mine if I plan on non-use of more than a month or so. I wash it before putting the cover on. No since having the cover rub dirt into the finish. That being said, I've put it on twice in the last two years. We use the RV a lot.

In other theads, moisture has been brought up as the issue. I do it to protect it from the sun.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Trace,that's a nice garage,but watch what you do with your height....Your "garage" is listed at 12'6" which I would imagine is the peak....
Your coach is listed at 12'3"...

All but negates even a real skinny fella from getting on your roof if they had to... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Bob,

Didn't see your post until today, but the opening for the door is at 12'6". The actual peak is about 15' high..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:50 AM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

That's better....